google docs/groups..?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by alison, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Okay, confession: About a year ago when I was actively suicidal I went to all the bad places on the internet looking for pro-suicide & methodsy sites. One site/forum/person (I don't really remember) gave me a link to click on that would share a google document with me, that had some methods information. I *think* that is all I did.

(i'm being intentionally vague here, I don't want to bring these bad places to anyone. so please don't ask me)

So now I'm trying to 'recover' and have been working hard on my mental health for the past year. I'm doing well ish, but I still get triggered by these things.

Anyways, now when I go into my google docs, there are so many bad docs being shared with me - mostly really in depth documents about methods, but also some literature about how people with mental illnesses should be allowed to kill themselves.. and all sorts of dangerous triggery things like that. I want them all gone.

Also, when I go into my google groups - the only group I'm actually in is one that I used to coordinate a class project a few years ago. But all of my group suggestions are to sketchy pro-suicide groups.

Help?!?? I guess I should go through and delete every document that I don't want - but why do people keep sharing them with me? Is there a way to block shared documents from someone? I only remember opening one document, but it was a weird time (lots of drugs, etc) so I guess I could have opened a bunch more and not remembered it. Also.. how does google pick groups to recommend for you? Is it based on your google searches?? Sure, I'll admit to searching about methods, but I'd say thats only a small fraction of my searches. I google lots of sciencey things for school, music lyrics, bracelet patterns, recipes... I don't understand.

I guess, just if anyone has any insight into google.. I know a lot of people in real life who are technical and help me with these sorts of things, but I can't exactly ask them for help on this one.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

can you not j ust contact google themselves and tell them to block any forms of these messages you do not want them showing up on your screen I think there is a way i am not sure of contacting google directly with concerns i hope others here can help
  3. The Scream

The Scream Well-Known Member

I know what groups you're talking about lol... those groups are indeed very dangerous... i was 15 when i was on there... and someone there even coached me, those people are sick...

i remember you needed to subscribe to the group with your google account, maybe that's the reason google gives you recommendations... have you canceled your subscribtion?

i remember those things from 4 years ago, since i haven't been there all those 4 years, things might have changed...

also, maybe you can make a new google account?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.