got a doc's appointment. so scared :(

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ThornThatNeverHeals, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

so, i relaly dont talk well. i can type well, thats why i love the support here. i can express myself in writing, and hear the tone, the voice. i cant do this in verbal language....

i talked (more like bawled) to an adult at my school, and am now in process of trying to get parents to understand. father is finaly getting it, and is ready to set up doctors appointment for me to either get on meds, or get to a pdoc. only one problem: i cant express how i feel through speech.... when it was with the adult, she knew exactly what it was, and therefore there was no need to express, but already a great understanding there.... thats why i was able to manage it....

im so scared, terrified that ill get there and not be able to talk. father has been amazing through this, but im afraid of what will happen there. hes calling to set up an appointment tomarrow...

:( :( :( :( i cant write a letter, cuz i never get the guts to turn em over to who they are written to.
    i just dont know what to do.

gonna try to get the guts to talk to adult at school tomarrow, but dunno if ill be able to.
    any ideas? could use some.

thanks for listening to my nonsense
    :poke: thorn :poke:
  2. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Its not nonsense, I do understand.

Yes a letter would be helpful. But it doesn't need to be written in long hand. It could just be points that are important. Can you speak on the phone? Perhaps after a first meeting you could ask the doc if you could email them what you'd like to express?

They will see your nervousness and will understand. :hug: Wishing you the very best.
  3. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

my dad wants to set up an app where we are all just in the room talking.... thats how dad likes it done. ive already caused so many problems with this :( i dont want to make anymore :( i just dont even know what to say
  4. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Well if he wants to be in on it, let him do the talking. Or let the doc do the talking. your time to talk will come, in the meantime you can nod and shake your head to questions. :arms: worry about knowing what to say or not say. at some point the doc will need/want to talk with you alone most likely. I know its hard, you CAN do this.
  5. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

It gets easier once the topic is brought up with the doctor. Once they know what you're there for in general terms (eg, 'depression'), there is less pressure on you to volunteer information. Doctor will ask short, specific questions, and you answer as best you can. The tough part is the part you're at right now. Not knowing what the meeting with the doctor will be like. Not knowing where to start or how to communicate to them what you need them to know. That is the doctor's job. They'll lead the way, ask plenty of questions, you just go with the flow and answer.

A lot of the questions are easy to answer:
    what is your medical history?
    do you have a family history of depression?
    how long have you felt this way?
    when you feel like this, does it come in short bursts or stay for long periods?
    et cetera

no biggie.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  6. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

i can't talk to docs at all - i just brain-lock - can't speak to them or even look them in the eye

the suggestion of creating a shared chat could help

also, if you are comfortable with the idea, post your thoughts on the forum then cut-and-paste them into a text document that you can print and bring with you

may help in two ways

first, you know that you can talk about pretty much anything here and folks will listen

second, you can review your posts before you print them and leave out those things you just aren't ready to discuss with the doc - hopefully that list will grow smaller over time but in the mean time you have more control over the discussion

one last thing - no matter how you may want to look at it, you are ill, this is an illness - you are NOT causing trouble, your illness is - you are trying to seek ways to cope with it which will actually reduce the stress and strain for you

this is a good thing
  7. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

I just wanted to wish you good luck! There are some ideas in this thread already, and I'm sure you will figure out what you want to do.

The one thing that popped out to me was that it helped that the adult you talked to already knew what was going on. I imagine the doctor will have a pretty good idea as well! There isn't a right or wrong thing to say or way to behave for the doctor. You don't need to convince them that you aren't doing well and need help, that's what they're there for. Just do what you can and let them figure out what they need to do to help you.
  8. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

first time my son finally agreed to see the doc, I did all the talking.
    I covered the basics so that the doc had an idea of wtf had been going on with son.
    Since then, he has gone on his own and hopefully told the doc stuff he didnt want me to know, so look on this first meeting as your dad breaking the ice (so to speak) for you and getting something started.
    Your words will come as you trust the doc and are ready to speak, but a bulletined list would probably help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.