Got my knee diagnosis.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Ima.robot, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

After 8 months of chronic knee pain I was finally diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome, and 3 months ago it started happening in my other knee too. ARHGHHHH. It is worse then what I thought it was originally, a torn meniscus. It looks like my running/sports days are over forever, or at the minimum a few years there is a slight chance I will be able to again. I honestly cant believe this happened to me I felt invincible 8 months ago. I used to do sports summer and winter at minimum 4 times a week. At least I can still swim for now. I will remember the day it first happened January 2nd 2013 forever. I am going to try to move on and learn to play the guitar so I dont end up getting more depressed.
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm sorry the injury is worse than you expected. It might be worth asking about rehab therapy for the knee and muscles involved. On a positive note, I'm glad you can still swim! :) And good for you for staving off more depression with a new activity! Take care of yourself. :hug:
  3. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Thanks Acy :). I am going to see a physio soon Im going to search for a really experience one. Yes im going to get a membership to a pool and get back in shape again. I will miss the old days but I will try to move on into new things and who knows there is a possibility I can run again some day. Got to focus forward now.
  4. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

you're really positive and that's great!

sorry to hear about the diagnoses, but from what it sounds like, it's not put you off too much
  5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Learning to play the guitar is a great goal to help with coping. PICK with Austin. :p
  6. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Thanks Emily Im trying but the reason I initially became thinking of suicide frequently is when I hurt my knees. I was depressed before this sports were my way of coping. I havent thought about suicide in the last few days but even though I was dreading a diagnosis like this at least I do have a diagnosis now and it is some closure on the situation which I think helps. Because of how bad it is in my right knee I doubt I can run again but like I said at least I have some closure now and Im going to try to move on to other things. It is time to accept the situation I cannot keep letting this affect my life like it has the last months.

Hehe Austin now your username makes sense! I think I will really enjoy playing once I get past the newbie stage I guess it will be nice to learn something from scratch and progress. Progression is always satisfying I was progressing in tennis and snowboarding before but now I will focus on becoming a good guitar player and drawer and maybe painter too.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
  7. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Fuck I am trying to stay positive but this is so hard. My knees felt OK earlier today then I just go for a drive in my car and they hurt like a bitch after. I cant believe how this has come on in the last 7 months. Going from an athletic person to not even being able to drive my fucking car without pain. I do not now how to fix this, I might have to stop driving and even walking around for months if before slowly getting back into things but I really have no idea how to fix this type of knee pain. I feel so hopeless, and if I have to stop driving and everything to fix this I will be fucking housebound. I want to fix my depression, I really want to change and need to go out and live to do this, and I cant even do this with these fucking knees, its like a double whammy. This is the most frustrating thing ive ever went through
  8. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I just need to vent again. I never realized just how bad a knee injury could affect me. When I was younger, I remember one of my biggest fears was tearing an acl. Fuck I would almost gladly trade off what I have for a torn acl now. At least then I could have gotten the surgery and started rehab. I have no idea if ill ever go back to the way things were. If this was going to happen to me why coelnt it at least be when i was 30 later in life and a little less active. It just had to happen at the most active time in my life. I just have to hope the highly recommended sports chiro im going to see tomorrow will be able to help. If I have to live like this forever i dont know if i will ever beat depression. Cant even ski anymore with the only female friend I have. Cant even play tennis with my good friend anymore, cant do any activity like camping unless i take way too many painkillers at the end of the night. A person doesnt really realize how chronic knee pain changes your life until it happens to them, I dont know whats worse the physical pain or mental pain caused by it. I really hope this sports chiropractor tomorrow will be a life saver if he can get me active again some day.