Gotta quit smokes AGAIN

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I was quit from Aug 16 2017 to Sept 10 2018.

Then I had to send Pushkin over the Bridge. I did ok that day, but when I picked up the little cedar box with his remains, I circled around to the store and bought 2 packs. Bought a carton the next day!

Horrible habit and to be quit for so long, I kick myself.

Anyone have tips on quitting other than slap on those patches (I have them) grin and bear it?

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Hi TK

It's bloody hard. I quit on New Year's Day 2012 and started again summer 2017. I know exactly how you feel about kicking yourself. I've noticed I'm coughing really badly in the mornings and I can even smell it on myself plus it costs a fortune.

I've tried several times over the summer to quit again. I do really well for a week or so and then the minute something stressful happens I give in and buy some. I quit again over the weekend and am determined to stick at it this time. I've got a vape and some of the little nicotine lozenges. I've identified when I normally reach for them throughout the day - first thing in the morning as my tea is brewing, every time I get in my car, after a meal and with my coffee throughout the day so I'm hoping popping a lozenge in at those times will really help. Also the colder weather as I don't smoke in the house.

Good luck to us both!

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
Oh @texaskitty I can relate as have been trying to quit for months...seem to have good positive thoughts...and then find myself going to buy that "last pack"...so don't have any suggestions but maybe others do...as need and want to quit just can't seem to be able to do it...so can't offer you any thoughts...just commiseration...

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Oh. Admission time. Im going to try to quit too. Nobody knows. (Well now the entire internet knows) There's a "don't jinx it" factor with these things, isn't there? With telling people?
I very recently moved out of the house and while that may not be the best time to think about quitting its gonna have a go.
Maybe we should have a whiners thread for the trying / encouragement of folks.

Harmony

SF Supporter
Ok I sneak too, nobody would ever guess so I must be doing a good job keeping it on the DL....Anyhow, I picked the habit back up during my mom's death and to cope after my mom had passed away. It was a difficult time for me and I just didn't give a shit! For someone who cares for pts with the devastating effects of smoking, I have to say I am embarrassed and feel like a fraud. I can't have that!

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Ok I sneak too, nobody would ever guess so I must be doing a good job keeping it on the DL....Anyhow, I picked the habit back up during my mom's death and to cope after my mom had passed away. It was a difficult time for me and I just didn't give a shit! For someone who cares for pts with the devastating effects of smoking, I have to say I am embarrassed and feel like a fraud. I can't have that!
Harmony, I smoke as well, I've even run stop smoking clinics for my patients:eek: and yes quite a few of them did successfully quit smoking, But I wouldn't be emabarrased or feel like a fraud, circumstances can sometimes dictate what we do unfortunately.

But good luck to those who are attempting to quit:)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00