GP appointment. *trigger suicide*

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Vacuity, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vacuity

Vacuity Member

Okay so i'm going to the doctor's tomorrow morning. I'm going to tell him that the antidepressants i'm on aren't working, that I tried to kill myself last week and that i'm definetely going to try again in the vain hope that he might be able to help me.

But. What are the chances he'll think about putting me in hospital. I don't want that at all, so if he is going to say that, i'm not going to tell him. maybe. I'm in the UK as well if that helps...

thank you all.

(Sorry i wasn't sure where to put this)

Natasha.

2. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

Probably better to tell him just that the meds are not working. Adding on that you tried suicide could send you to the hospital. Here in the US I told my Internist that I overdosed on a med and she wanted to send me to the hospital.

3. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Suggesting hospital or putting you in hospital against your will (sectioning you) would depend on your particular circumstances... age, how immediate the risk is etc It is actually very unlikely that they would do that as a first line of action, as they try to keep people out of hospital as much as possible these days. They may more likely refer you to the local community mental health team (cpn, psychiatrist etc). Putting you in hospital would generally only be if you were in immediate danger or a danger to someone else... and you'd have to tell them your plan and that you had the means and opportunity to do it straight away. Well that's my experience anyway. I'd suggest being as open as you can so that you can get the help you need.

4. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

The likelihood of you getting sectioned is slim. You will more than likely be referred to the first access team (or similar) who are the first point of contact within mental health services, based on their recommendations you will either referred back to your gp or passed on to primary care (or similar). Nowadays, it takes a great deal to actually get sectioned. When I have been on psychiatric wards, I have seen people who attempt suicide discharged after a couple of days.

5. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Hey Natasha,

I agree in the UK it's highly unlikely you'll be sectioned. A few times I have been to the GP & spoke about suicide I have been sent to the ED to talk with the duty psych, they always let me home after a few hours though.

If you don't already have a psych then the GP may refer you to one, or a cpn if your practice has them.

Please let us know how you get on.

:hug: xx

6. Vacuity

Vacuity Member

thanks for the replies :)

Fortunately hospital wasn't mentioned. And I was completely honest about everything. He's keeping me on the same meds to see if they start working. And he referred me to a cpn a while ago, I found out the other day my appointment isn't until august! So he's going to try and move it forward because he's "worried" and gave me a few numbers to phone too.

thanks for caring. x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.