• Both the iOS/ Apple iPhone/ iPad and the Android/Google versions of the sites mobile app are now available for download from the resources page. The app is free for all members. This app will allow you to get notifications on your mobile device whenever a thread or forum you watch has a new post, when your thread or posts get replies, when you recieve a private message, etc. The links to download the app are in the resources area - https://www.suicideforum.com/community/resources/categories/example-category.1/

Grandfather's passing

DrownedFishOnFire

Seeing is Believing
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
My grandfather passed on Sunday. The Wake and the Funeral was on Thursday/Friday.

Found out many things after he died more details of the role in the WWII he was involved in. His generation, his unwillingness to talk about it made me assume it was nothing. I was wrong. His group had significant role. He did see considerable action.

Miltary honors were done at the end. It touched me the most how serious those things are taken. When he was alive it wasnt discussed or glamorized about. He didnt complain or flinch away from problems. Didnt complain about his health. Now I have a powerful image of my Grandpa instead of an old man I felt bad for. Humble and well loved by many.

This guy was the last link of a parent's parents still alive. I do no longer have a living grandparent. Made me feel much more older than I was last week. Decades if not a century on my mindset.

HumanExMachina

Jazz hands
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Artist
SF Supporter
My grandfather passed on Sunday. The Wake and the Funeral was on Thursday/Friday.

Found out many things after he died more details of the role in the WWII he was involved in. His generation, his unwillingness to talk about it made me assume it was nothing. I was wrong. His group had significant role. He did see considerable action.

Miltary honors were done at the end. It touched me the most how serious those things are taken. When he was alive it wasnt discussed or glamorized about. He didnt complain or flinch away from problems. Didnt complain about his health. Now I have a powerful image of my Grandpa instead of an old man I felt bad for. Humble and well loved by many.

This guy was the last link of a parent's parents still alive. I do no longer have a living grandparent. Made me feel much more older than I was last week. Decades if not a century on my mindset.
The greatest generation. Their example should make us ashamed. Sorry for your loss, Drowned. His memory will live in you.

DrownedFishOnFire

Seeing is Believing
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Was just in his bedroom tonight. Still surreal feeling that he is really no longer here. Fighting back that vast void trying to take over my mind.

DrownedFishOnFire

Seeing is Believing
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Thats what I was looking at. Scrapbook from 50 year wedding anniversary...there wasnt any for the 60 year one in the room at the moment that would have been more recent up to 64 years being married before grandma died. Pictures that feel so different and foreign face staring back when we all were younger. I dont remember people looking like that at all. Just remember their latest face I have seen them with. I dont know if its my brain that warps up time or not. I just remember my grandpa as an old man not someone in his 50s when I was a kid looking at those pictures. Same for everyone thats long dead.

No idea if it makes sense at all for others

bobbob

SF Supporter

Im sorry for your loss but glad you had such a such a great guy as your grandad. tc

1964dodge

when you help people you help yourself
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Thats what I was looking at. Scrapbook from 50 year wedding anniversary...there wasnt any for the 60 year one in the room at the moment that would have been more recent up to 64 years being married before grandma died. Pictures that feel so different and foreign face staring back when we all were younger. I dont remember people looking like that at all. Just remember their latest face I have seen them with. I dont know if its my brain that warps up time or not. I just remember my grandpa as an old man not someone in his 50s when I was a kid looking at those pictures. Same for everyone thats long dead.

No idea if it makes sense at all for others
it makes perfect sense we remember what is most recent more than the past I hope all your memories are good ones

Lane

SF Supporter

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather. His service to our country is a legacy. There is something quite amazing about that generation. My father was also a WW II vet.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$345.00
Goal
$255.00