Gray on Gray violence.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by NoMoneyToPlease, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

With the vanishing of millions of pensions worldwide and the growing numbers of senior citizens set to grow out of control within the next few decades,I would like to hear what the thinkers among you think about the possibility of a new social phenomenon arising,where the poorer and penniless majority the elderly will start targeting their minority wealthy counterparts who made it past retirement with their pensions intact.

Gray on Gray violence.

Desperation forcing a normally meek age group to cannibalize in on itself.

80yr old Fagin's commanding troupes of 70yr old Oliver twists and artful dodgers on missions to (forcefully or otherwise) fleece gormlessly well off 90yr old victims.

As a significantly smaller slice of the social pie,would anyone under 50 feel it important enough a matter to intervene?If a brutal subculture did emerge where the senior citizens were involved in a continual rolling turf war with very small amounts (in real terms) of money at stake,would the "powers that be" choose to waste valuable financial resources on quelling outbreaks of slow mild violence?

Please feel free,nay compelled,to garnish this post with your thoughts and brand new intellectual dimension creating possibilities.

Enrich this subject with "yours".

Tata! :)
  2. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Even with a better distribution of the weath there is a deficit. We are just living too long and there are not enough working/tax payers to pay for the standard of living that we have come to expect.

There is no easy way out

Shouldn't we have a cut-off date in the interest of humanity, everything else has one.
  3. NoMoneyToPlease

Do you mean life termination?
  4. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

We already have a auto destructive working clock that regulates our life and death. The fact is that human ingenuity is winning against nature and the clock needs to be reset.
    Anyway whats this obsession with living forever.
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I expect that much like that old fellow in Shawshank Redemption most are too old for this sort of nonsense and will simply live in debt until they can't anymore and then commit suicide (the debt thing is already a reality, many baby boomers are racking up debt at an alarming rate with no intention of paying it off.)
  6. NoMoneyToPlease

@Jota1-So you feel a fair redistribution of wealth would be less effective than just leaving people to waste away?
    Do you not feel the older generation deserve a little bit of payback for keeping this society intact,right up until the point that very same society decides they are useless and of no discernible value to the machine?

@aoeu-Great point.And the same people with whom we are racking up the debt with have set provisions in place to deal,or not deal with us in the future.
    Balance sheets do not forget.Especially if these balance sheets belong to the companies who are using our bad credit to buy their way into the political and healthcare systems.
  7. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I see many older people working into their 70s. Beyond that there will be more extended family living which seems to be forming because more adult children are living with their parents.
  8. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

I come from a situation that understands the hardships of caring for elderly in the family while they receive so little.

I say drop them.
    They had all their lives to prepare for this age, if they didn't, it's their fault.
    I intend to save money while I work and put in for pension as well so I have two sources to fall back on in my old age and I may keep working.

Life is about choice, make a bad one, suffer for it.
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

So when the market fails because of rich investment bankers we bail out the investment bankers and leave the elderly victims to fate?..

Most of the elderly poor are doomed by situation, especially medical debt (number one cause of bankruptcy, and more common with age) and stock market failures (which hurt most of us, but especially the elderly who depend on their investments).
  10. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Not at all.
    The whole of society is crumbling day by day. The traditional family and everything that it stood for has been attacked for the last 30 years. The bond between grand parents, parents, children, uncles and aunts, cousins, ect that secured a safety net for each of those generations has collapsed/been destroyed in the name of political correctness. We teach people that all types of pseudo family are acceptable but the fact is that most of these new structures don’t provide the protection that the classic one does. I believe that grand parents play a major role in bringing up grand children and children have a duty to support their parents in their old age, brothers should support each other in difficult times and even extended family should provide help if one of the family is passing through a difficult patch. This is family network. Older people are being totally neglected and it is not just the state that is responsible for this negligence. The sentiment of duty of care between family members has for some reason been destroyed and people expect the state to absolve them of all responsibility

It’s a mixture of the state intervening in all our life’s to the point where we relieve ourselves of our own responsibilities, the destruction of the “villained” middle man that was the middles class and all middle class family values.

However I still believe there is a fixation with living forever and the demographics just dont add up.
  11. Mr. Goldstein

Mr. Goldstein Well-Known Member

I think the United States should start to embrace free public euthanization clinics so that depressed people like myself, and the elderly who are suffering and/or cannot afford to support themselves, can voluntarily choose to have a painless and easy way to die. As we all know, with the rising poverty class in relation to the middle class, and the rising senior citizen count with respect to the working class, we are headed for economic disaster. I would like to have an easy and painless way out at a free public euthanization clinic once I finally become homeless (I have depression, anxiety, ADD, OCD, learning disorders, mild mental retardation, and very poor physical coordination, physical strength, and reaction-time, which makes me unable to hold a job).
  12. quiqui

quiqui Member

I am a disabled senior who lives on less than 1000/mo. and after paying for rent, utilities and medical I can not afford a car, tv and allot of the time food. But I do manage to take care of my 2 cats, one 11yr. the other is 4 . If it were not for them my past od attempt would have been more successfull. The possibility of violence from this senior, no chance I am just waiting. Eventually everything just goes away, including time.
  13. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I'd like this for the uk too,instead I'm gonna have to find some nasty way to end myself which will waste the time of emergency services etc..
    Why can't we just choose and be given the same dignity afforded to animals being put to sleep. No we have to stay alive and suffer in order for others to feel better about themselves
  14. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

Free public euthanization clinics?
    Now come on, you know damn well it wouldn't be free and our governments would set rules and standards so tight that one would have to be pretty financially stable to be able to afford it. "Do you owe back taxes sir?", why yes, I do. "Sorry, you can't die here till you pay that off."
    "Are you in debt greater than $5k?" "yes I am", "I'm sorry, you can't die here till you settle your debt".

The day I
    A) become incontinent
    B) Can't afford both rent AND my meds to keep me alive
    C) Have to move in on my kids because I can't afford a nursing home
    I will take my own life and be happy to do it. I will be damned if I will be a burden on my children, and I sure as hell ain't gonna sit in some tiny little apartment and waste away without the ability to get my meds or buy groceries.
  15. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Yup I've no doubt the government would make it a very undignified ending.
    I'd be happy to pay for the drugs and disposal of my remains tho, I'd like to think they'd write off people's debts at the end. :-(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.