Great Computer Says, "The Internet is 'Monetized' Now, and We Have Assumed Control."

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hatshepsut, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

The Internet is harder to use now. This is one of the few sites I will go to. I can't go to Glyph Study Group on Yahoo without getting hit by "Keep Now" Adware, which hijacks your browser and makes every other word a link to an ad. It also makes these vibrating electric-colored popups you can't block, and abruptly switches you to sites McAfee Internet firewall (fortunately) blocks with red exclamation points.

If you Google “remove ads by Keep Now” you get pages of moneymaker sites all purporting to offer advice, but no straightforward answers or help. You cannot even get real information about it from reputable firms like Microsoft or Symantec. What it means is, you figure it out and do it yourself. Or, you pay a geek $200 to do it for you, and then you’ll have the same thing all over again a day later, if you go to Yahoo or even to Reuters News. The Internet is “monetized” now, and becoming nearly useless for consumers. The mess:

:heh: Removing “Keep Now” browser adware from Acer Aspire on Windows 8.1 after it has ruined Google Chrome:

1) Uninstall Chrome
    2) Delete all the files and subfolders in the Google folder in Programsx86 folder

3) At some point when your’re doing step (2), you will get “administrator permission required” and “access denied” messages. This is adware speaking to you, I guess. “Don’t delete me!” What is known as Privilege Elevation by the intruder, temporarily or permanently making itself your home computer's owner-user. Shut down Windows and restart. Then, you might be able to delete the folders.​

I was lucky. The procedure above was sufficient. But I imagine that a more concerted aggress by digital bad guys is possible. If you still are denied access to files you need to erase, or can’t locate the malware, then you’re fried and will have to try the factory reset, which loses everything on your hard drive except Windows stuff. Or, if you’re not allowed to reset, even formatting your hard disk from the BIOS and re-installing Windows from scratch. The euphemism is Tech Trouble.

4) Run the full McAfee scan–or whatever Internet protection company you use. For me, McAfee takes about 10 hours to scan everything. Ask it to remove any PUPs or viruses it finds.

5) Download Chrome again.​

I’m thinking of just downloading what I want to read or use and disconnecting.

McAfee doesn’t detect or remove “Keep Now” anymore, although it did the first time I got hit in March. It took me 14 hours to remove the pushy adware, which can enter with the page load as soon as you visit the wrong web site, and apparently does not require downloading freeware as some of the “advice” sites say it does. Some versions of it seem to reside only on your browser, which is why antivirus software doesn’t “see” it.

You’ll immediately recognize the fireworks when you see them. They link to viruses if you even roll the mouse cursor into the ad area, so you must carefully edge the mouse up past the minefield to close your browser. Everything you were doing stops for this nasty interruption. Just plan on a day effectively “stolen” from your life if you’re computer-dependent like most people are by now.

:sulkiness: It ought to be illegal to disseminate this stuff, but the telemarketing and adware industries are all-powerful in the USA. Since Keep Now doesn’t have any actual virus or fraud of itself, it simply disclaims responsibility for the behavior of, or content posted by, its “advertising sponsors.” You can’t even find out who owns or operates an adware firm, without hiring a forensic accountant–a PO Box and Name are enough to register a shell corporation in many states, and companies like this stay behind locked doors at unknown addresses, don’t respond to outsiders, and bank in Karachi, Pakistan.
  2. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

Re: Great Computer Says, "The Internet is 'Monetized' Now, and We Have Assumed Contro

the problem with these "services" is that you sometimes actually give permission to load it without realizing because it's buried deep in the licensing agreement for something else that you loaded

sometimes it gets attached to "legitimate" software that you found somewhere other than the original company
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.