Great documentary on the war on drugs

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ima.robot, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Ive realized for a few years how little sense(not to mention the destruction it causes) locking people up for drug use makes but there were more than a few things in the documentary I never knew. Drug abuse should be treated as a health issue not a legal issue. Plus keeping them illegal just keeps gangs and the black market who sell them going strong and with that comes more violent crimes.

Please watch the whole thing if interested..
  2. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

What you've just mentioned there (health not legal & gangs) is nothing new to me, but I'll def give that documentary a watch when I have the time, cheers, not heard of this one before now.

On a less serious note, here's a quote by the legendary Bill Hicks, he made it pretty big here in the UK.

“I loved when Bush came out and said, 'We are losing the war against drugs.' You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.”

Made me LOL anyway... :)
  3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I thought it was treated as a health issue... hence the existance of rehab programs. If someone has an issue with drug abuse, they should reach out to one of the many programs that exist for rehabilitation. When they do not, then yes it becomes an issue of breaking laws.
  4. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Nope... how is it treated like a health issue when there are private prisons being filled with people for non violent drug 'crimes'? Sure makes them a lot of money. So many people in prison for nothing other than possessing and using drugs its ridiculas. Then lets look at the gangsters who are there related to selling drugs which often comes with a life of crime because in the streets they have to defend their territory against rival gangs. Gangs would take a big hit in revenue and participation if drugs were legalized and they couldnt make money off of them any more. A lot of tghe gang lifestyle revolve around selling them, legalization would take that away. Sure a very small percentage might get to go to rehab program instead of jail but that is definitely not even close to a majority. If it were treated like a health issue they wouldnt be against the law. Just because there a rehab program doesnt negate the very obvious fact its treated like a legal issue. I dont even see how one can possibly argue it is treated like a health issue.

The last time I checked people dont care if drugs are illegal either, people who are into it will try them regardless of legal status. I know i didnt. Its even stupider when people think alcohol&cigs should be legal but oh not these other ones. I could maybe see bath salts being illegal because people do actually hallucinate to the point where they will possibly harm others but the likes of heroin and cocaine should be a personal choice if you want to put it in your body. Also other countries have legalized drugs and drug use DECREASED

There is a good quote in the documentary.. "Its absolutely true that drugs have destroyed lives, that heroin and cocaine for example do nothing to engender individual dignity, but while covering the drug war as a journalist for more than a decade, Ive come to understand what drugs hasnt destroyed the war on drugs has"

Obviously the war on drugs has failed its been obvious for a long time either way something needs to change doing the same thing but expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Very good info for those who actually watch the whole thing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Of course imprisonment and permanent criminal records for nonviolent drug offenses are a scam. All these prisons and police forces do need to stay open and have a job since the violent and property crime rates have been in a decline for the past 20 years or something. They had to find something to lock people up for.

There's a book on this called The Great American Crime Decline I'd recommend.
  6. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

Sadly it is somewhat about jailing people up and making money off of it. Not nearly as much as it is about the money for the guys selling drugs though. Drugs are often pushed on the young, weak and vulnerable, with no care for their well being. There is no such thing as a "reliable drug dealer" most are probably just normal people doing their own thing trying to get by however some will lace your shit if their given a decent enough bribe or if they don't you for whatever reason. The whole gang/drug culture is just full of sociopaths.

I saw a case where this judge sentenced a teenager to 3-6 months of jail just for having weed. His life got worse being in jail, meeting harder criminals, and what not ,the guy eventually killed himself years later. It was discovered that the judge was getting bribes or "kick-backs" for sending troubled teens to jail for longer. The mom yelled at the judge after he was convicted "murderer". While what he did was wrong and he must have thought things through well to be getting a bribe, i doubt he properly thought about the negative effects it could have on others lives or at least i hope he didnt..

I had people in the "drug" game get revenge on me from shit that went down when I was 13.... like what the ^$#@ is that? or even stuff that happened when I was 17... People just like someone to blame for things... Even if some stoned 13 year old said something he shouldn't have people will seek revenge 10 years later! Before you seek revenge "dig two graves" what if I end up dead and my son blames it on these "drug and gang" people maybe he will come back like in a similar way to the movie lucky number slevin or become like the Punisher. The blame game just goes on and on forever...

Making drugs legal would get rid of a lot of issues, however drugs can make people sick, violent, eratic, angry and volatile when their high or withdrawing.

Its possible more people would use if legal and many addicts cant work or if they do they're often not very productive.

A decade ago drugs were legalized in Portugal and use went down a bit since then.

So yeah I agree legalizing drugs would probably be better then the current system but it's still not a "solution" not that some people in gangs and drugs aren't totally the scum of the earth and would find some other way to make money off the suffering of others, even if drugs were legal.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
  7. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Yup you are right about jailing people to make money off people in the USA, take a look at this interesting(or should I say disgusting) info.

I agree about legalization not being a solution because there never will be one. Drugs have been used since ancient times and are here to stay no matter what people do. Yes addicts do place some burdens on society but locking them up just makes things worse, like what you said about kid going to jail for weed then meeting harder criminals which in turn ruined his life in the end and there are other negatives as well. Not to mention if they actually educated kids about drugs in school if they were legalized they would no longer be seen as such a cool and rebellious thing to do. The only thing that I think would maybe increase long term would be marijuana which really isnt a bad thing when you think about the problems alcohol creates, fights, deaths etc.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  8. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

I caught that documentary randomly on TV a while back - it's well worth watching (and I might watch it again now I know where to find it)

The drugs policy is beyond absurd (especially in the US). How does someone using drugs mean that they are a criminal(!) and that they should be punished by the state and even be imprisoned - absolutely disgusting, absolutely immoral. Making drugs illegal also causes numerous other problems which are well highlighted in that documentary. The 'war on drugs'? what a stupid idea, the person who came up with that was probably on drugs.
  9. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

I watched that documentary on Netflix a couple of months ago. It would be great to live in a world without drugs, or in a world where people didn't need drugs to help them escape and feel better. Filling prisons with drug offenders was just another way for Conservatives to get some street credibility with their voters. The same way Texas politician are so proud of executing people. It thinks it makes them look badass. People need to be held accountable when they break the law, but mandatory minimum sentencing only succeeded in costing taxpayers a lot of money and ruining a lot of lives.
  10. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.