Grounding technique suggestions?

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by Jackie's Strength, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

I've been having trouble with dissociation for quite some time now, and sometimes the episodes get rather intense. I feel "spaced out," my vision gets blurry, my heart starts to pound, and I feel dizzy. Sometimes I also get nauseous and feel... well, honestly, the best way I can describe it is intoxicated. Just yesterday, when I got home after a particularly intense experience, I still wasn't quite "all there," and I found myself talking to my mom rather uncensoredly (i.e., normally, I wouldn't have said the things I did), and acting rather distractedly.

Does anyone know of any grounding techniques that they find useful? I know of some, but am always on the lookout for more.

2. Lost_Dashite

Lost_Dashite Senior Member

I've heard some people run cold water over their hands/immerse their hands in cold water... :hug: hope you find some useful
  3. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Hi -

Under the Self Harm section here there is a whole list of "distractions" which can be helpful to read through for suggestions for disassociating. I have difficulties with grounding and tend to try and stand up and walk around or go outside.

Here are some other ideas from another site -

Grounding skills can help a person prevent dissociating. However, they can be used to help re-orient oneself when experiencing intense and overwhelming feelings and intense anxiety. They help to regain one's mental focus. These skills usually occur within two specific modalities:

Sensory Awareness

Cognitive Awareness

Sensory Awareness Grounding Skills

Keep your eyes open, look around the room, notice your surroundings, notice details.

Hold a pillow, stuffed animal or a bell.

Place a cool cloth on your face, or hold something cool such as a can of soda.

Listen to soothing music.

Put your feet firmly on the ground.

FOCUS on someone's voice or a neutral conversation.

Cognitive Grounding Skills
    Reorient yourself in place and time by asking yourself some or all of these questions:

Where am I?
    What is today?
    What is the date?
    What is the month?
    What is the year?
    How old am I?
    What season is it?
    Who is the President?

Also here there is section with handling flashbacks which contains grounding techniques also.

Take care.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i was taught to pick out 3 things in the room a light a picture and clock to orientate where you are feel three things the leather on a chair the window the rug listen to three things the computer running the noise outside window clock ticking the go down to two of these thing and one it will bring you back to the present time it has me before i sometime will phone to hear a voice from the present time as well like i phone my T office knowing i get a tape recording but it is a voice from today.
  5. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

my therapist told me to take small bites of some fruit or something, but really savor it. its not much, but it was interesting. im very dissociated in general because of my abstract thinking style.
  6. spailpin

spailpin Active Member

my personal favorite. .
    go to a beach. . bury your feet in the sand. .stare at the surf. . let the realization that the universe is working exactly as it should wash over you. . .repeat as needed. . .
  7. Tea_at_Four

Tea_at_Four Staff Alumni

Doing something that will bring you back to your physicality is helpful. I especially like the running your hands under cold water, or holding a cold can of soda suggestions--those work for me.

When I was having a very bad night, I called a nurse I know, and she had me walk around the neighborhood I had pulled my car into. She talked to me about what was going on with me via cell phone, and periodically asked me questions about the areas I was walking in. Even tiny things like looking at the pavement, or the trees, or feeling the wind were useful. Reconnecting with what was around me really helped pull me back out of my head.

Best of luck.
  8. kmj221

kmj221 Well-Known Member

I don't know too many, but I was thinking look in up DSM-IV and there are like 5 different types of dissociation. Maybe it would help to know which one you are relating to the most. I also, know the putting your head in a bowl of water and ice to help you come back. Hope helps. Love ya. Kim
  9. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

Thanks everyone for your replies - I really appreciate them, and will definitely give your suggestions a try when the need arises. Please do post again if you happen to come across anything else that you find effective or interesting to try.

Take good care everyone!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.