Group Therapy for BPD?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Beka, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

After nearly 2 years of feeling like I'm not being taken seriously, I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere.

My psychiatrist has put me on a program called STEPPS. After doing a bit of research, I've found out that it's a group therapy and I'm not sure how I feel about this. In the past I've always said that I prefer individual therapy to group because of how uncomfortable it makes me talking to just one person anyway.
    I'm going to give it a shot because otherwise it would be a wasted effort on my psychiatrists part but has anyone else taken part in this program or a group therapy? What did you think about it?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have not heard of this type of group but i think what one gets from a group therapy is that you can input not from just one person but many
    You get different aspects or outlooks on how to deal with your illness Good for YOU for going to try this hun

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi Beka,

I'm currently doing group CBT which I started back in March, different to what you will be doing but like you at first I was sceptical and worried about starting group therapy. I was worried I'd feel uncomfortable, that I wouldn't be able to open up and that it would be a whole waste of time. But once I had done a few sessions I began to feel much more comfortable within the group and I was able to open up more. They don't place you with any Tom, Dick and Harry, they try and put you with people who you may benefit being in a group with. I also find it useful hearing people's different points of view on things, and people offer a lot of advice which tends to be helpful. All in all, it's not as scary as it sounds and definitely recommend it as an effective treatment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.