Group Therapy?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Downpour, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Downpour

Downpour Well-Known Member

I had an appointment with a psychiatrist yesterday and I was given an ultimatum: either agree to take medication or go to the psych emergency. Naturally, I chose the medication. She also mentioned something about therapy. I think both medication and therapy are a load of crap, but whatever. Then today, I get a phone call telling me I've been scheduled for some group therapy thing. I've never done that before, and frankly, I'm extremely skeptical. In the best of times, I'm not the most social person, and there's no way I'm going to talk about anything personal in front of a group of random people. So I guess I'm just wondering what you think about it or what your experience with it is. I'm thinking about bailing out on the whole thing.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Sometimes you don't have to talk you can listen and take things in that can help you . Why not just go and try it for a few weeks even then decide

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My personal belief is that group sessions (peer support) is the most effective avenue to take and I would like to remind you that "group" is what this very website itself is.

4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

There is an advantage and disadvantage to everything. I refrained from saying much when I was in group. What I got out of it was new perspectives because of things that others have said. The type of group is important as to whether it is a woman's group, a depression group, a behavioral modification group, etc. It doesn't hurt to check it out and see what others are doing.

5. Downpour

Thanks for the perspective. I'll give it a chance. I had to cancel today's though due to unexpected and unavoidable issues. The next one is in two weeks.

6. pickwithaustin

Let us know how it goes. Remember that input directly affects output.

7. Downpour

Well, I went and it was ok but a little weird. I didn't say anything much. I was never good at talking during class, and this definitely felt like I was in a classroom. But I'm planning to go next week if I can.

8. pickwithaustin

Excellent! Remember too that in these situations, you don't have to open up. Don't feel obligated to. Let it come as it feels comfortable to you. Even being there just to listen to others for a while can be helpful for you.

I used to be that kid in class as well. In fact, I ditched some high school classes because I didn't want to stand up and do my oral reports. I was shy, I guess. Now, later in life, I have found it within me to speak up - probably because I guess I have learned not to care what others think. Also, I have found life circumstances to force me into needing to lead certain things and to speak out and be heard. It will come to you as well... let it flow in it's own time.

Do they have food at the meeting you go to? We do and I take advantage of eating up the good stuff. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.