Guess What!! Your Bailout Has Come!!!!! Minimum Wage Increase!!!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Righteous, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

And just when u thought that the American government only cared about those rich guys that they gave those billion dollar bailouts to, America has decided 2 increase the minimum wage for the average citizens

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/06/news/economy/minimum_wage/index.htm

Thats right, if u now only make $6 an hour u are about 2 get an extra dollar and a quarter. That should definitely help u catch up on those thousand dollar mortgages, credit card bills, and student loans.

But real talk though lets do the math. If u work 40 hours a week(which a lot of jobs don't want their employees to work because companies are so damn cheap) and make $7.25 an hour u are only bringing home $290 a week. Oh wait don't forget about taxes, so u really get about $240. Which turns into $960 a month. I'm not even going 2 waste time explaining how this can't take care of a family so lets break it down and see if a single person has a chance. Mortgage payments for a house is out of the question so lets observe apartment rent.

( These prices are not necessarily accurate, I just like 2 over estimate cause thats the best way 2 make a financial plan)

A good apartment in a lot of states cost $500 a month. Now u got $460 left. Good grocery food is go be about $200 a month. U got $260 left. Electric Bill about $60 a month. $200 left. Car insurance bill can be about $50 a month. $150 left. Gas for your car (depending how far u drive 2 work) on average $200 a month. So that leaves u, DAMN!!! that means u broke.

Shit, a single man won't even have enough money 2 take a girl out 2 the movies or go bowling. No money for drinking, going 2 the club, no video games, no DVDs, Shit basically, a single man won't have no money for fun. He'll just be working 2 make somebody else rich while he gets no pleasure.

Bottom Line: This minimum wage increase ain't worth shit

Oh and by the way, if u can eat beans, rice, and ramen noodles everyday without going crazy, this may lower your grocery bill some. And u better hope your car doesn't break down with wages like this

2. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

An 11% raise is pretty good actually.

3. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

it is the republicans who only care about the rich guys, the democrats fought to increase minimum wage and they were successfull

if it were up to the republicans the wealthiest 1% would continue to get richer and the rest of america would just live like peasents

a few years ago the democrats wanted to pass a bill increasing minimum wage and the republicans said they would only vote for it if the democrats voted for something eliminating estate taxes(basically something rich people have to pay)

Republicans are the scums of the earth, they destroyed my life and are the reason I am here

4. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I'm curious, how did the republicans destroy your life?

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Righteous, tell people on minimum wage that it's worthless.

6. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

Do you even have a job righteous?

7. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Only about 1.7 million workers - who constitute 2.3% of the labor force and 0.56% of the total population - get paid at or below minimum wage. Most of them are young people, unskilled, going to school or all of the above (yours truly included). Most states, including most of the larger ones, actually have minimum wage limits above the federal average.

It's still tough, yes, but that's why nowadays people rent out homes with roommates, friends, or partners, live with their parents longer, or rely on credit or loans to get them by until they get a career or promotion. The system is certainly not perfect but the issues lies more with other factors - such as inflation - rather than minimum wage. It's one of many steps to be taken but it's something.

8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Yeah. The min wage is a good idea in theory but it's always been a fucking joke. If you can't realistically live on it, it's simply not a fair wage. It may be possible to just barely live on min wage in some places but it would be on the extreme edge of everything.

The only way to live relatively comfortably on min wage is to get some roommates you can trust and work everything out. The biggest problem with that is if one or more of them becomes unemployed unexpectedly or just drops out of life, you could be in serious trouble.

In times gone by, folks would simply say "Don't like it? Go to college". Well, yeah. And if you do, you will probably incur debt that you may not be able to repay and then you'll be in the same damn spot a lot of people are. Worst time ever for that.

Ahhh...anyway. They'll never raise the min wage to anything reasonable. A comedian once said if shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2009
  9. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

hmmm... I guess any increase in minimum wage is good. I'm lucky to make more than minimum wage though. I probably don't deserve it as much as others do.

10. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm a school bus driver.

11. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

By your own words you're unemployed. http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=64004

Either way what are you doing ranting about an INCREASE in other people's wages? Are you saying the government SHOULDN"T increase the minimum wage because according to you it won't matter? Sure looks like that's what you're babbling on about here. You're right. Let's just go back to the old way before there was minimum wage protection and employers could just pay as low as they wanted.

12. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Thats all well and good but increasing minimum wage is good for two things.

Increasing inflation and propping up larger corporations as small businesses fail and reduce the competition, causing a lovely bit more unemployment in the process.

13. killtomorrow

killtomorrow Well-Known Member

dude they still dont give a fuck about us!
    infowars.com

14. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I see the fox news rush limbaughs have taught you well

increasing minumum wage does nothing but take away from the millionare and billionare stock holders of the world

boo fucking hoo

15. Random

Random Well-Known Member

For all intents and purposes, they already do that. 7 bucks an hour is nothing. And even with such a low min wage, employers who pay min wage still try to cut costs even more by slashing labor to a bare minimum, forcing the people who work for them to work harder to enable them to make more profit. I've seen this myself in more than a few establishments. If labor goes beyond a certain ridiculously low point, the managers hear about it.

No. The min wage shouldn't be repealed. It should be raised to at least $15 an hour. If you aren't willing to pay someone $15 an hour to do a stressful, labor intensive job then you shouldn't be in business (Not you specifically but a hypothetical "you"). What good is the minimum wage if it doesn't get people above the poverty level? A second vacation house on an exotic island is a luxury item. To be able to scratch out a basic life is a right.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
  16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

So now someone who was formerly making $7/hour at minimum wage... will be out of a job entirely. Good going.

17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I reckon if it comes down to a choice between buying another yacht or staying in business, most gazillionaires would choose to live a bit more modestly and stay in business.

18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Sorry, doesn't work like that. Most employers only have a handful of employees and are borderline broke.

Further, it's not a matter of what they -want- to pay, it's a matter of what they -can- pay. You're not going to pay $15 for a $7 job (your shareholders would fire you pretty fast for that sort of thing), so if the minimum rate is $15, that job doesn't get done. For instance, McDonalds would probably have pretty dirty floors much of the time...

19. Random

Random Well-Known Member

:laugh: You think so? Maybe it's like that in some places now but it wasn't like that at all where I live last time I was employed. The guy who owned the place lived a very comfortable life. I know this for a fact. I know he took several vacations per year while his employees made around $7 per hour and coundn't afford a vacation if they were allowed to take one. I know he had several cars where I couldn't even afford the insurance on my car that was handed down to me by my parents. I know that when he needed to see a doctor, he had no worries about money whereas I just had to basically hope I never got sick enough to need a doctor.

I know he lived in a nice house which was paid for while I had to live with my parents and still could barely pay my bills.

It's not a $7 job. That's why the min wage is ridiculous. The amount of work the average min. wage employee does is worth far more than $7 an hour.

They have no choice if it's the law.

Funny you should mention them. Since they're one of the most successful businesses in the world and they pay their employees shit and treat them like shit. That's what the min wage really is as it stands. A free ride for corporations like McDs.

20. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

One employer is not necessarily indicative of the majority.

No, your shareholders would fire you. The job would go undone if they had to pay $15 for a $7 job.

Mcdonalds is also one of the largest employers in the world (and not really that successful). Why are you cursing them for providing jobs?

If you raise minimum wage, you destroy jobs. So people who were previously not making much money are now making none. Automation takes place, tasks which are not critical go undone.

Further, if you raise minimum wage, you raise the cost of providing services - so the price of goods increases for everyone; McDonalds meals cost pretty close to the local minimum wage, as it happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.