- guy best friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by pither, Mar 18, 2009.

1. pither

pither Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I was just wondering, are there any girls out there with guy best friends?

My best friend is a guy and we've been tight for about five years now. I don't know anyone else who has a guy bestie or ever really did. (And I'm not talking "ex's who stayed friends", I mean guy friends you've never been romantically involved with)- I just wanted to see if my relationship experiences are typical of opposite sex relationships at that close a level- Post away <3

-em

2. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

I am a guy and i had 2 or 3 girls that had me as thair best freand
    but not for long really, about 2 years for 1
    and less then 6 months for another one (then i left to a diffrent country)
    and about 3 months for the third one

for the first one it ended becaue she acted like a whore (fuckd every guy she saw)
    and i told her that i dont like this fact
    and thats how it ended (she didnt want to change this)

the second one as i said i left to Ukraine, we didnt talked since then

and the third one, she joined the army and with time
    the freandship just ended (she had no time to talk and stuff overall)

3. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

most of my "friends" are men, and there have been many of them who i was close to, but many people assume men and women cant be friends withput sex being involved so the friendships never stayed close.

i only have 1 female friend that i see on a regular basis, and only a further 2 that i would consider close, that to 4 close male friends, and countless others i prefer talking to and being around, over women.

but generally i cant stay close to them as society thinks theres always something more going on.

4. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

an awful lot of my close friends are male. although saying that my boyfriend was originally a really close friend but then it turned into something more. but i have more male friends than i do female friends.

5. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

Same for me.

6. pither

pither Well-Known Member

All of my current friends are male. I just think girls my age are WAY too catty and wrapped up in themselves. All of the female best friends I've ever had ended up stabbing me in the back or changing into something I didn't want to be around.

As for my bestie now, it's the best relationship I've ever been in. It's weird cause he's not the type of person I would normally get along with. It just works for some reason.

I hear what everyone is saying about the romance factor. We've both had crushes on and off, but we never did anything about it cause we valued the friendship so much. Plus as far as looks go he kicks my ass-

I'm just worried that I'll lose him because we'll both have significant others. Right now we're both single and I think that's one of the reasons it works so well between us. But eventually we'll meet somebody and then I afraid we'll drift apart-

-em

7. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

try to not to think in what might happen and just enjoy your friendship as it is now. what comes along comes along but deal with it when it does turn up. until then just enjoy your friendship and to hell with what other people say x

8. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Yeah, I don't believe in the whole "Girls and guys can never be friends" bollocks, because you can be just friends with someone.

9. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

I best friend is a guy.

I have grown up with him. (knew him since I was 3 and now I'm 18)

We can go weeks even months without seeing eachother.. but when we meet up its like we were never apart.

He is amazing! Luff him to bitz lol

10. pither

pither Well-Known Member

It's the same for me!

We went almost a year and then once we met up it was like we'd been together the entire time!

I love mine to bits too <3

-em

11. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

As a guy, personally, I wouldn't have a girl as my best friend. This is probably prejudice from having very close friends, but mostly because I'd be afraid of hooking up at some point. Or trying to.

12. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

i have a guy that is my best friend. and i have a guy who is one of my best friends in a circle that includes females bf's. and . .. my beloved was a friend at first. i love having guy best friends. . .

13. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

in the past i have ended up liking my girl friends, but this has to stop. lol.

14. SNX-Inutock

SNX-Inutock Member

Personally, girls wanting to be my friend.... give me this distinct urge to stab myself through the brain. But I have 3 younger sisters and every.single.female. I have ever come across has only been interested in me as a friend to whimper to about their boyfriends etc., so consider it a stigma thing.... for some guys I am sure it works fine.......

15. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

My closest friend in the world is a guy, and we've never been involved with each other. It's odd, I seem to have more male friends than I do female ones.

16. Celebrated Thing

Celebrated Thing Well-Known Member

My closest friends are guys. Its great because its platonic so theres no sexual tension or confusion, or I know they arent just saying something to sleep with me or anything. Because of that they are really honest with me, especially if I ask for their honest opinion, they will give it.

For some reason I have never been able to have a lot of girls as friends, which makes me a little sad because sometimes I would like to have a female's opinion on something that I cant discuss with a guy or he wont understand as well as a girl would. I dont know why my girls friendships arent as many or as strong as ones I have with guys.

17. endlessskies58

endlessskies58 Well-Known Member

hmmm

i've heard a lot of girls say they have guy best friends but it doesn't seem to be the same the other way around. maybe just not a lot of guys are responding but to me i think that's a red flag.

i really don't know if guys and girls can be friends without being attracted to each other at some point.

i have a guy best friend right now, but i really question his motives sometimes.

i won't say that i don't think it can work because i'm still trying to figure that out myself... but i'm really starting to think that they can't.

or they can if they can control the sexual urges of nature. :)

18. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

My now boyfriend was my best friend before we got together ..

19. SNX-Inutock

SNX-Inutock Member

THIS.

Girls, if you have a "guy best friend", I will say that there is a 75% chance he is romantically interested in you, and I am lowballing it there. (odds are its closer to 90%.....) Its actually very painful for us guys to deal with, especially when girls who consider us friends talk about how great we are and how any girl would be lucky to have us etc.

Its like going to a job interview, having your interviewer say "Wow! This is an incredible resume! However I am sorry to say that we cannot hire you. But we will keep your resume and use it as an example for the exact kind of employee we are looking for in the future. Also expect to hear a call from us every now and then about the horrible person(s) we decided to hire instead of you!"

Yeah. Really confidence boosting.

Here is a good post for all women to read from a guy that the normal "guy best friend" can relate to a lot:

http://media.www.dailytoreador.com/....Zone.Leaves.Nice.Guys.Dateless-1503608.shtml

20. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Nobody knows what they want, let's be honest. Sure, tons of "best friends" want their friend, but there's also cases where lonely people scorn the love and affection of people they're not interested in. "I know you want me, but I don't like you, so I'm going to be alone forever."

That's basically how romance works. Boy likes girl, girl likes other boy, other boy dislikes girl. Girl and boy are friends, both are miserable :) .