had anyone been in a general psych unit?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by starlight85, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starlight85

starlight85 Member

hiya
    I wont go in to details as theres faaaarrrr to much to say but basically I have a local team coming to see me after an emerg appt with mt psych,the possibility of going inpatient was mentioned and talked about.Ive been in an eating disorder unit twice in the past but a general unit seems a whole diff kettle of fish and extremely scary,Ijuat wondered if anyone had any experience of spending time in one?xx

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

The county units are plain, tiles floors and look more like a hospital. I was at one Kaiser unit where it felt more like a dorm, complete with carpets. Only thing was, they would only give me one blanket and I was cold.

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I've been in what. Not bad at all.
    Hope you don't have to go though. Definitely a last resort :hug:

4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think they vary from state to state and country to country. I imagine a short term facility and long term facility would also have differences. You can call and ask questions about their facilities. I hope everything goes okay for you. :hug:

5. starlight85

starlight85 Member

Re: has anyone been in a general psych unit?

thanks guys,Im in the uk so it will be an nhs hospital.Ive had issues since I was 13 (23 now)depression,self harm,anorexia.thelast few months have just got progressively worse-now I juat feel veryvery suicidal alot,my head is fucked,and to add to itall I have a hell of alot of personal stuff going on wihich really isnt helping at all,I feel like I dont want to be anywhere,at home,at work(my psych even rang work yest and said he was very concerned)I want to be on my own but I dont even want to be inside me!its mad im soooooo anxious and wound up all the time but feel sad and depressed atthe same time.xx

6. starlight85

starlight85 Member

oh and its not the facilities that Id beworried about-its the other patients-thefirst time I was ip for anorexia the ward was next to the general psych so I saw thepatients all the time-they were sweet enough to talk to for 2 min while having a fag but the thought of being in with people who all have diff and sometimes damn right scary illnesses-thats what bothers me:unsure:xx

7. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Sorry, but downright scary was about right for some of them. Others were nice and just gently mad. I'm afraid it's the luck of the draw but make sure you tell the nurses if you're having any problems with other patients.

8. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I went to a ward at my local hospital. They call it Choices. And it wasnt bad. Food was much better than the general population.

Aside from having an occasional classroom setting, rest of the time was free time.

9. My_eyes_lie

My_eyes_lie Well-Known Member

I spent 2 nights in one and like you my only experience had been on an ED unit. It was terrible and scary. I had cut my arms up, because I had just gotten out of IP for anorexia and I couldn't handle my body after the weight gain. The psychiatrist even agreed I didn't belong there and that's why I was D/C'd so early. I spent the entire time hiding in my room! Oh and they didn't make eat....

10. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

yea waste of time, but the psychiatrists and nurses probably get paid good and all those drugs the stuff in you do really well on the stock exchange so I guess that is the purpose

11. sad panda

sad panda Well-Known Member

I remember going to one of those when I was like 13 or something, after I had threw a bunch of anti-depressants in my mouth. I ended up leaving after a few days because I told the psychologist (i think) there everything he wanted to hear.

90% of the time I was there too I was miserable because I had a 100 degree temp or so.. sweating, aching, throwing up, ect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.