Had to talk to my parents about it

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by MaNg0s, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaNg0s

MaNg0s Well-Known Member

Well I was on medication till the end of last year it made me feel more suicidal which led me to cutting to much. When I got off my meds my parents were so proud of me as they always frowned upon the idea of needing meds to me being able to function properly.

I have been struggling even more since I got off the meds with constant mood swings which have been making me feel like I am going insane and just feeling so low and anxious most of the time. I had to tell them that I wanted to see someone about my problems again and get put back on meds which was a very hard thing to do having to look at your parents and tell them that you are still wanting to kill yourself. Apparently I had got a letter from a therapist office last week asking if I wanted to see the therapist again but my parents hid it from me that alone made me very angry as I have been thinking about seeing someone again for a while.

I filled out the letter listing my symptoms so they know what kind of treatment I need and hopefully I should see someone by the end of next month. I really hope getting put on meds will help they did not before because I think my GP misdiagnosed me and did not give me anything for my mood swings which I have been told is just Bipolar disorder. I just really want this stop I just want to be happy again. I hope the meds make me feel normal so I can just live my life.
  2. lilella44

lilella44 Well-Known Member

good luck!
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

congrats on having that conversation with your parents.
    sometimes it's a few steps back, a few steps forward. relapse is pretty common, thing is to not let it get really bad before reaching out for help. sounds like that is what you did.
    i've read here about it taking up to a few years to get the meds combination right - so don't give up if they don't help right away.
  4. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Congrats, thats a really hard thing to do.
    As for the meds, I have the same problem with my ex's feelings about them. When our daughter started on them, I had to try to make him realize that they are oly one part of treatment, and they may not be permanent.
    Good luck
  5. sophie_b

sophie_b Well-Known Member

Well done for talking to your mum and dad, i know that must have been difficult for you!
    it will be hard for you to start taking your meds again and to start seeing a therapist but u need to start getting help so you can move forward with your life. the hardest part (reaching out for help) is over now you can focus on getting better!
    well done huni, speak soon!
    loves n hugs
  6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Yeah, if it really is bipolar, then meds are certainly the way to go. Not exactly something you can just snap out of using sheer willpower. I hope your parents can understand this and support you.
  7. delargeal

delargeal Well-Known Member

I can understand the low and anxious bit. Problem with those sort of things is that when just depressed you don't have a lot of energy but with anxiety, you're more likely to seriously hurt yourself.

Never a good thing.

I have never really spoken to my parents about it. My mother is aware of it, yet it just seems to be the sort of thing that's just got swept under a rug and never spoken about.
  8. MaNg0s

MaNg0s Well-Known Member

Well thats what my parents did they kind of just ignored the fact that I was depressed. But it got to a point where I really needed some help. I hope that in time your parents will be able to help you with this because I know how it is to go through it alone and its horrible. Good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.