• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Practical Advice Hair and carpets

Fleurise

Whenever life plants you, bloom with grace.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Weird subject but I have long hair and a cat. Lately the build up of human hair on my carpets has been annoying me. The vacuum cleaner doesn't want to suck them up. I borrowed a stronger vacuum from a friend. My friends vacuum worked slightly better but I have to use a brush attachment and sit on the floor. So I have resorted to using a rubber cat brush and yes I'm brushing my carpet *hysterical*shy.
If anyone has any practical solutions to make it an easier job I would be grateful.
If not I hope it gave you a good laugh thinking about a fat blob sitting brushing her carpets.

Fleurise

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yeah *bleh Although might put me in bed for a day or two. Should be worth it though, sick of looking at a hairy carpet.

BlueGreen

It's probably the carpet and not the vacuum cleaner @Fleurise. I got a new bedroom carpet a couple of years ago and I've never known a carpet like it, it's impossible to hoover so where I dry my hair it does the same. I'd suggest a comb on the worst part. It probably what you are already doing. I can't think of anything else, sorry.

Sunspots

Daydream Believer
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
We have this problem with two cats and a dog.

I know it sounds weird but I use my trainers or anything with a rubber sole. I put them on and drag my feet heavily access the carpet. It's amazing how much hair you can drag up off the carpet.

Fleurise

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thank you @BlueGreen This is old worn carpet but must be similar. Yes your suggestion is very similar to what I'm doing. Nice to know someone else has a similar issue. *hug

Thank you @Sunspots Must try find some rubber soled shoes. Sounds much easier. Tammy cat appears to shed a lot less hair than I do *hysterical *hug

Walker

Admin-a-monkey
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Same as what Lucy said, I called that "feet vacuuming" when I would use my shoes to pick up the cats hair. It was genuinely more effective than the vacuum on their furry little hair clumps. For some reason all that fur tends to run to the edges of the room, right? (well, it did for us, at least) so I would go around the edges of the room with my foot vacuum and then after I'd grabbed the mounds of cat fur and tossed it I would do the actual vacuuming.

Kira

•✮• 33764 •✮•
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
We have this problem with two cats and a dog.

I know it sounds weird but I use my trainers or anything with a rubber sole. I put them on and drag my feet heavily access the carpet. It's amazing how much hair you can drag up off the carpet.
I almost didn't mention this because I thought I was the only nutbag that did this *hysterical (No offense Lucy or Matt!)

I have the same issue with the cat hair and the vacuum just won't get it all. My son vacuums the house (good boy) and I drag my foot (with shoes) across the carpet and it does an amazing job! :D (I do it on a diagonal angle too)

Just be careful because it gets a bit tiresome on the back and knees though. Just carry around a bag with you to put the hair in as you go. I've had bags so full in the past that it looked like a little fluffy kitten inside! *rofl

We have the same problem- my hair comes out everywhere (to the extent that it looks like the grudge after I've washed my hair with how much comes out in the bath) and we have cat hair too. We also brush the carpet first then vacuum lol. We recently got a new vacuum that cuts through the hair or something so it doesn't get caught up in it. My mum said she broke old vacuums thanks to my hair *hiding

Fleurise

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. All finished after about 3½ hours, wow who knew there would be more of my hair then Tammy cats. Well done Tammy for your grooming.
It looks pretty good but I'm going to invest in rubber soled boots or rubber broom. OCD says it's not complete but I'm telling it to go and get stuffed *hysterical.
Time for quick catch up in chat before rubbing cream into sore hands. *hug*grouphug2

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$300.00
Goal
$255.00