Hair Pulling

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by *dilligaf*, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I have NO idea where this should go btw .... :unsure:

Okay so basically I used to pull my hair out. I would sit and put loads of little knots in my hair, and then pull them out. I stopped a while back - no idea how I stopped unfortunately - but I have recently started doing it again.

Half the time I don't even know I am doing it ... I always play with my hair, it's something I have done since I was a tiny baby. If I'm tired / bored / upset / thoughtful I will sit twiddling my hair ... so it's got to the point where I don't even notice I am doing it anymore.

Some of my best mates have been told to hit me or something if they see me doing it .. apart from this I have no idea how I can stop it.

I'm sat here now with a massive pile of hair next to me and I'm so angry :sad:

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas on this??

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Would having your hair cut short help? :hug:

3. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I don't think so because I like long hair .. and short hair doesn't suit me .. so I'd end up hating it, and I think tht would make me do it even more

4. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have trichotillomania. You're going to need professionals to intervene, as it's a compulsion.

5. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Hi hun,

I do this too. I managed to stop last year as I had bald patches, it was the fear of going bald that stopped me.

Lately though I've found myself doing it again, I do it without realising, I can literally sit for hours & not notice until I see the pile of hair beside me.

I don't really know how to stop either, if people see me playing with my hair at all now they shout at me & this helps a little as I still have the bald spots. I have long hair too, I tie it up as often as possible, but it has to be held tight because if it's loose or any hair is in my face I'll start pulling again. If the hair is out of my face I'll distract my hands by playing with my earrings, I wear studs & playing with the butterfly at the back sometimes it's enough to stop me pulling my hair as my hands are kept busy. Another thing I've found is I'm less likely to pull my hair when it's clean, I'm not too sure why, I think when my hair hasn't been washed or straightened, I play with it a lot more & if any strands of hair feel dirty or 'funny' (can't really explain it kinda like if you're wearing hairspray) I start pulling & can't stop.

I hope you find something that works hun & if you do, please let me know.

:hug:

6. Danny Crooks

Danny Crooks Well-Known Member

I know someone who does exactly the same as that. Co-incidentally her name is Claire, lol.

I knoe what you mean about the 'funny' feeling. I've got quite long hair myself, and after having hairspray in it for a day it builds up a funny residue which makes me keep stripping it off with my nails, its difficult to explain.

7. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Thanks people, I dunno how to stop this :sad: I always wear my hair up too.

8. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

all i can say is to talk to a doctor. let us know how you are doing! :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.