Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by numb2long, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. numb2long

numb2long Member

I scared the **** out of a someone by talking about some of the stuff I do. But I couldn't talk about cutting. I'm not sure why. It's not like I'm all that extreme about it. Should I have shared everything? :huh:

BTW, I very much trust this person.
  2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Self-injury and depression make some people uncomfortable. It made my family uncomfortable and it could make this person uncomfortable. Sometimes it's important to tell other people what you're going through. It's no good to go about life feeling as though you can't talk with friends.

Stay strong,

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello Numb2long,

You did the right thing by telling someone. I'm sure you must have felt a little better after saying it, even if they were in shock. Once they get used to the idea of it , hopefully they will come round and try and help you :hug: It takes courage to speak out! Don't feel bad about it.

I'm always here if you need to chat x

Thinking of you,Lynn.
  4. Starlightx

Starlightx Member

It's definitely good you talked. It does take strength and courage to be able to talk about something like this, whether you spoke about the cutting or not. It might take a little time for the person you told to wrap their mind around this; it can be a bit of a shock at first, I won't lie.

If you trust them, don't hide, and don't stop talking because of their reaction. Talking can help so much; bottling it up inside is never healthy.

Take care.
  5. FrostyGrunt

FrostyGrunt Member

It really depends on how you think they'll react to it. If it were me I would be extremely cautious about how much I let out, as some people can become unexpectedly proactive about intervening if you let them know you are physically harming yourself, which can lead to a lot of explaining to people you'd probably rather not deal with and even serious ramifications to your daily life. It's great that you opened up to someone, because it really does help to have someone you can confide with, just don't get to hasty about revealing everything, though. Let it out bit by bit if you really want to tell them everything, flooding them with sensitive personal information may lead to said confidant looking to unload it on someone else that you never intended to know these things.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  6. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

you were so brave to come out to your friend that you should be proud of yourself for having the courage to in the first place. i know its not the easiest thing to do. im sure your friend is probably still in shock and so try and let the dust settle between you both. if the friendship is strong then it can withstand anything x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.