Hallucinations - How do you distract yourself?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Butterfly, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I have been telling my psych's since September about my hallucinations however it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Most of the times it is visual, on occasion auditory. Visual hallucinations tend to be constant whatever my mood. It ranges from seeing shadows out of the corner of my eye, sensing people behind me who are not there, seeing dead animals, seeing cats which I don't own and the most disturbing one of all is a dead zombie like body pressing up against my front door. Think the Ring, Grudge, Gothica type looking bodies. This happens whether I am "okay", depressed, in crisis or euphoric. The auditory with me isn't so common. It tends to happen when my mind is racing with thoughts, bad concentration, paranoid, easily irritated etc. I have had in the past voices telling me I am feigning illness, to kill myself and repeating pointless words over and over again till it drives me insane. Nothing is breaking out for me at the moment (which is a good thing) but my head feels really fuzzy, like a thousand thoughts colliding in my head but cannot make out a single one. At time it often feels as if there is white noise in my brain. I have also had delusions where i have heard numerous car doors slam and felt like I was being watched and spied upon. All my psych's keep doing is upping the anti-depressant which clearly isn't helping my depression and making this all worse.

I have tried distracting myself as much as possible such as watching tv, playing games, attempting to read and tried to occupy my mind with uni work but I just cannot concentrate. I keep getting distracted and I keep seeing things and I am at a loss as to what to try next. Besides mindfulness, is there any other calming techniques I can try or one thing than I can focus on and attempt to put all my concentration in that until I am able to see the psych again. This is driving me crazy and I don't know what to do.

It has taken me over 35 minutes to construct this piece of text because my concentration is so poor and my mind keeps wandering so I am sorry if none of this makes any sense.

2. xXxSomeonexXx

xXxSomeonexXx Active Member

the only thing i do is really try to watch movies i love or write in my diary. Reading definitely doesn't help me distract myself. I've tried listening to music too, but i zone out and only hear the voices in my head and can't even hear the music anymore. you could try meditating. i've tried that, but it didn't much help as i have a fear of closing my eyes for more than like 2 seconds. sorry i can't really help, but i'm here if u need someone to talk to. I kinda get what you're going through even though i have yet to see a professional about it and mine isn't quite as bad as yours. i used to see those Grudge looking bodies too, though.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Are they illusions or hallucinations? There is a difference and this distinction would foretell what to do. Illusions are generally symbolic in nature and are reduced by understanding what stressors have percipitated them...here finding their use helps to elliminate their presence...hallucinations are dysreality which are not driven by suppressed meaning, but instead neurochemical influences...to abate these events, activities which one finds either calming or evoking would be helpful (the activity would be driven by what the person reacts best to)...sorry if I am not being clear..please PM me if you would like to discuss this more...but in any case, our caring for you is neither an illusion nor an hallucination!

4. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Lexi hon... you need to tell them that you are schizoaffective. What you are describing is me before I was medicated. I was delusional - thinking that people were directly talking to me through the TV, and thinking that angels catered to my every whim. Hallucinations - voices and visual stimuli. (Still hear the voices, despite medication)

5. Butterfly

I am not so much delusional. I can tell the difference between reality and delusions most of the time. The only time I struggle is with the constant slamming of car doors where I think people are outside are watching my house. I am constantly looking out of the window when it happens and it makes me increasingly paranoid. I have had occasions when I am out and every single person I walk past look at me and it makes me paranoid that there is some rumour is going round around me. Things like that.

I am not sure what you mean J about the difference between illusion and hallucination. I don't think there are any reasons why I see what I see and hear what I hear. It seems completely random to me. But whatever it is, it is not going to get better until my psych's listen to me either way. I should be seeing them soon yet they still have not sent me an appointment out so until then I am going to have to try and muddle through if I can :(

6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I used to hear people calling my name, saw bugs on the windshield of my car, and rats coming out of my closet...when I was able to unveil some repressed memories, these were no longer necessary, and since that time, rarely, if ever happen...also, there are people with sensory impairments who are hypersensitive to sensory input which then starts the chain of events (Refer: Jean Ayers; Sensory Intergration)

7. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I remember when I used to see a man in my front yard underneath the big magnolia tree - he was dressed up like a FBI agent and stood there staring at me every day, not moving an inch. I saw bugs all over, dead squirrels covering the road, and at one point my posters were talking to me. The voices were constant and are finally, after a year, settling down but are still a pain in the ass.

Stuff that distracted me from them was sleeping, more sleep, and self assurance that it was all fake and that I'm truly hallucinating and none of it is real. Watching movies or writing or reading were almost impossible to do, still is but less severe, but I took it a day at a time.

8. Butterfly

Thanka for the replies guys. I am having another sleepless night bah. And hoc that is what I am doing. Trying to convince myself it is not real. It just eats at you, you know. It is like I know none of this is real but because it keeps happening I doubt myself. Like with the car doors slamming and thinking people are watching me I often feel that is real. The visual stuff I have to take a second look but then I know it is not real. Voices are not so common unless I am going through really euphoric, lack of sleep patch where I cannot concentrate or anything and the times I have hears them I have been alone bar one time when my fiance was sleeping so I kinda know no one is there. I guess I am just fed up with it.

9. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

I would keep talking to your doctor about all this. I've had hallucinations, delusions, trouble speaking, etc. for a few years now. No one has ever listened, but recently I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder. I was put on medication for it.. Abilify for the psychosis, as well as Seroquel as needed whenever I feel the voices get too bad. As for things to do to distract aside from medication, I suggest looking into DBT, which stands for Dialectical Behaviour Therapy. It will talk about skills like self soothing and distracting to use when hallucinations get in the way. Good luck.. :)

10. Butterfly

I have just a week to wait to see my psych and talk about this. I have had family over the Christmas break and have had a lot of time to just chill out and relax. Not a lot been on my mind really but the hallucinations remain and have shifted to other things. I have been away from my front door as I have not been at the computer but I have seen the devils face within several of my teddies and in my fiances face. I hear things shifting and moving aswell. I am beginning to think I am possessed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.