Happier, happiest

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Yet another survey was done on who are the most happy in this society. They say if you're married, are religious, or are committed to something, you'll live longer. I just wonder out of all the marriages what percentage are the "happy" ones.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

every marriage hun has its trouble points

3. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Commitment to 'ideals' give a person goals to aspire to. The happy marriages are happy I believe because (from experience) to stay married and happy means learning certain skills about giving up selfish tendencies, delusions, etc. The only place success comes before work after all is in the dictionary. Happy marriages just don't "happen" without work, and in order to work at relationships, values are employed which in themselves tend to result in contentment. It's just how it is.

Religious commitment is similar, in that it prevents us from thinking of ourselves as the centre of the universe. :)

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Lol guess I'll be miserable forever then. Kinda used to that by now :p

5. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Sure.. "stability". Think about it...

happy is all relative too. You can be a happy fucking idiot aswell. They live just aslong.

6. youRprecious!

as someone has said:
    "If ignorance is bliss, ....'tis a folly to be wise" :lol:

7. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Really? Well, I suppose that whole "when you have something to live for" theology and psychology rings for those that have it, then I wish them the best of luck.

8. youRprecious!

It's the only way I can make sense of how things are. Theology helps me to know God and psychology helps me understand human nature and myself. Without these, nothing would make sense ..........

9. Moat

Moat Banned Member

That is true for most people, and who am I to argue, if their beliefs (not simply in religion) allow them to get through the hardships? All that keeps me going is living in the Here and Now, being able to breathe the air that fills my lungs this very moment, the harpsical chords of Johanna Newsom through my speakers and even pain in my shoulder that will be with me for many more years. So while I am not religious in the least, that way of living I have chosen is what makes me happy, and that, after all, is the point. :)

10. flowers

flowers Senior Member

living in the here and now. Breathing in... this very moment. Harpsical chords... They speak of connection with all that is. What they call the "I am" the vibrational chords...... This is where peace and happiness always reside. It is something that so many, including myself, have gotten away from. I usually save these words for a different place. thanks for writing what you did.

11. justMe7

Depends on the relation of that ignorance to ones actions and environment in my opinon. Destruction comes from both sides of fence in ignornace and wisdom. Atleast in my opinon, it's all relative to a subjective understanding of what "life" lets or forces someone to comprehend. I'm not even sure if that makes any sense anymore.
    But yeah, I agree if you mean there's a balance. Ignorance in itself isn't bad, it's merely honest, and sometimes inspiring.

12. youRprecious!

aahh, yes - "what 'life' lets or forces someone to comprehend"....

The thing about being human is our power of choice. No one can take that away from us - even Hitler in the death camps - he took away many peoples' lives, but he could not destroy the spirits of those who had chosen to comprehend that this temporal world is not all there is as regards existing. Corrie Ten Boom's story is an example of this.

So, in that environment, ignorance of humanity's true condition would be a folly, if one made the choice not to seek this understanding.

Destruction coming from wisdom - I agree that is certainly possible too. But then, making the choice to steer one's motives in the direction of wisdom will always provide the soul with hope that, even in the face of choices made with good intentions (but which 'unforeseenedly' turned out to be destructive) that there is yet deeper wisdom which, mercifully, we can choose if we have a will to seek it. Choice :)

13. justMe7

Yes choice is one of our redeeming qualities, or comprehension before that. Though I disagree about the reality of destructive influencing aspects of life which contrast against choice for people and all life. Choice can break an individual without their knowledge so they chose to eat their own tails and feel like they are living. Assuming their quality and comprehension of choice is ignorant to the amount of awareness that goes into the comprehension that distinguishes that "choice" to begin with. 1 becomes 2. 2 becomes 3. Depends on what someone is aware of, or how ignorant one is. And quite the same 3 becomes 1, depending on how "wise" or how much self projected definition someone holds.

Basically we're dancing between that seperation of "black and white"(if there is such a thing). I just know you can be a happy idiot whose actions or in-actions can cause severe destruction. Usually coming from a selfcentred nature of personal wisdom, and sheer ignorance of ones life in relation to the rest of life. Happyness is all relative imo. Some can comfortably sit and watch the world burn, and live to be 100.

*edit*
    Sorry to jump back to pits question, I didn't actually give him an opinon. I suppose when it comes to marriages it depends on how you view a real proper marriage. Your own understanding of what a true marriage or union is would probably cancel out alot of these more "attempts" at marriage as far as statistics go. I couldn't answer your question in %'s, but finding someone you can connect with on in such a way truly does add to happyness because of the fullfillment and inspiration two find in eachother through life. Among other things, atleast in my opinon. How that happyness transfers to the rest of life is another aspect in itself though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  14. youRprecious!

15. justMe7

That's not entirely true. Like most things, it's true in one situation, but you'll find more than less that alot of people sit comfortably and watch the world burn, and don't know it. You put this strong emphasis on choice, well choice is only as strong as the amount of awareness that goes into those perceptions that create the "construct" of choice for that individual. Some people see something that looks pretty, but in reality, that thing that looks pretty is dying. It's false perceptions measured with disillusion constructs of happiness that allow people to move about life without having to rub up against the reality that causes alot of other lives to tense up and adjust to the life around them. If you constantly are dealing with problems in your own life and especially the life around you, your life is in a state of challenge and flux, which challenges and can damage the stability of your natural body, which can lead to premature death. Vs someone who sits idle inside the world we've created and thinks everythings fine. They feel happy, but they sit and enjoy that happiness through a measure of delusional, ignorance, and other things. Comfortably trusting in what they've been told, and just going about their normal lives.
    Generally people are bullshitted into this though...which is my point about happy idiots. Some don't make a conscious choice. Some just don't know or care to know any better because they live in a delusional world. These people live just as long as people who are more intune with their environments, which was my point about surveys. Happiness is all relative. Saying the happiest and longest living people are commited ones is fine, but that's so bland it's counterproductive. Alot of committed people don't give a toss about things that are outside of their commitments, yet they are still very happy.

16. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer. - Bill Maher

Certain dietary restrictions can extend your lifespan too but I'm tired of the restrictions on my life as it is, without narrowing what I can and can not put on my plate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.