Happy Birthday Ms. Chubbuck

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by supermodel, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

You were born August 24. 1944.

You committed suicide during a live television broadcast.

I was not born at the time when you did this. I was researching suicide when I came across your name. I was immediately filled with anger, rage, sadness, and I have to admit....inspiration.

I'm sorry the world let you down and you felt as if you had nowhere to turn.

You are still loved.

I hope that others can learn from your end and find a new beginning.

Rest in peace Chrissy.

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I've been to google....
    that's sad..

I don't think she should have done it on TV though....pretty traumatic for the viewers..

3. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I'm unaware of the situation you two are talking about, but I'll have a look into it later.

I only know of one other guy that killed himself on TV, well maybe. It was some executive guy or something. He had some press conference and once he had read out his speech or what ever, he pulled out a pistol and shot himself.

I can't imagine what went through the minds of the reporters. Just another day, eh? :eek:hmy:

4. supermodel

5. SaidDave

SaidDave Banned Member

Happy birthday to Christine Chubbuck. People still think of her and that's a good thing to know.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

What is it we're meant to be learning?

7. supermodel

That suicide is not the answer.

8. Ziggy

^ I was thinking that we don't need to see a live suicide on TV to know this, like we don't need to see pictures of children burnt by napalm to know that war is bad, and we don't need to see tv footage of starving Etheopians to know that poverty and hunger are also bad...

But perhaps we do. I dunno, I find that kind of disturbing.

9. supermodel

^^That is not what I was implying at all.

It was a simple tribute to Christine Chubbuck.

Take from it whatever you want to.

Thanks.

10. Ziggy

Oh I guess I don't underestand - but I was trying to. What she did was horrible. I can't think of a single nice thing to say about her. Committing suicide in front of other people? It may be sad, or thought provoking, but what's so inspiring about it? At least monks who set fire to themselves are trying to raise awareness of a cause, whereas "her suicide was simply because her personal life was not enough". The world really needs to know that does it? I must admit I'm more inspired by people who manage to live through their ordeals.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010
  11. supermodel

the point<-----------------you clearly missed it Ziggy.

Take care now...you hear?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.