Happy pills anyone?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by aimless, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aimless

aimless Member

G'day all, haven't been here for ages. I was reminded of the board when an auto message from here wished me a happy birthday. It was the only thing that remembered it.

But anyway, have been recently started on happy pills through a psychologist. Anti-depressants to be more accurate. Has only been a week and a bit but already have lost the desire to kill myself and the depression lifting. I came the closest I ever have 2 weeks ago and that's when they decided to medicate my head.

Has anyone here tried them? What were the results?
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

The long term meds I have tried like Prozac, Lexapro and Zoloft have unfortunately not worked for me but have worked for many here. The short term anti anxieties like xanax and valium (diazapam) usually take the edge off.

Glad to hear that they are working for you and a belated happy birthday to ya!
  3. aimless

aimless Member

They put me on "Efexor", never heard of it. Have to start on a low dose as to limit the side effects. Just uping the dose now over the next few days.

Dunno it's early days yet. Not counting the chickens yet.
  4. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

The thing with anti-depressants is that it is so individual. What works for one may not for another. When you do find that "recipe" that works, though, it is great--I have some friends that have great experiences with anti-deps. I guess we're such individuals that it's hard to predict what is right for you without trying it.

It sounds like Effexor is helping, yay! Screw counting chickens before they've hatched...this is depression...your dark clouds are lifting, enjoy that! Don't be afraid of enjoying your un-depressed times, you should cherish them because you know exactly how horrible the opposite feels. If something is helping, enjoy that, it's hard to find something that works as it is and you deserve to feel sunshine, finally. As far as your birthday goes, I know it's hard for it to go forgotten. Happy belated birthday and I hope all your future ones are far sunnier and happier than you can imagine! That's my birthday with (on your behalf) for you!
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

it's good that you are getting relief.

my personal experience was that it made me a lot more worse.
  6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

It's great it helped. Efexor is supposed to show results either way after 3 days and should work quickly, so the fact things are positive for you right now is a really good sign.

Efexor is one I have tried (along with Fluoxetine, Citalopram, Escitalopram, Sertraline and Duloxetine), but it didn't agree with me. It tends to either really help or really hinder, and it sounds like you are one of the ones it's going to help, which is great :)
  7. Mitternacht

Mitternacht Member

I'm currently on Clonazepam which has been working great for my anxiety but i think i may need to have the dosage upped soon.
  8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I take effexor at a high dose and it helps me.. I also take five other meds along with it for my different problems. My shrink just put me on prolixin(it's a skyzophrenia med but I am not skyzo) This has helped me quite a bit.. Now my suicidal thoughts are just that thoughts.. I won't act on them..Yes effexor is a good med for depression..
  9. aimless

aimless Member

Well that's all quite encouraging. Yes Belladonna you're quite right, feeling less than suicidal should be enjoyed. I guess it's been so long since feeling happy I don't want expectations to build up only to be let down. But yes, it's definitely looking positive right now. Early days, still get thoughts of suicide, but it's like I'm standing next to those thoughts looking at them like WTF?

I very nearly did it during Easter, as I mentioned. Won't go into the drama of my life, but underwent some kind of meltdown where the emotional pain I was experiencing was so intense that it became a traumatic event and memory loss. Don't remember much about it at all, lost about 12 hours. Quite glad really as it must have been pretty bad. Vaguely remember ringing a friend who came and got me for the night, if not for him I reckon I'd have done it. Anything to stop that pain.

They started me on 75mg of Efexor, and am now going up to 150mg a day.
  10. Belladonna

I know what you mean about disappointment, but the thing with feeling good is that it isn't a constant thing, there will always be ups and downs in life. If you can find faith in yourself to weather the bad because the good is worthwhile, that's the basic thing we need. Just because something sad or tragic may or may not happen in the future, it isn't a reason to not enjoy the present, especially after going through your hellish experience. By the way, if you ever feel like talking to anyone about your story, it won't be an imposition. Sometimes letting things out helps me. I know we all have our sad stories that led us to this place, but that only means that we all need supportive, non-judgemental ears!
  11. aimless

aimless Member

Well, could write a book about my dramas. There's been very few times in life I've actually been happy. Wife died 3 years ago after many years of chronic illness in which I was the primary carer. But what did it this year was in Jan a very close friend of mine killed themselves, and 2 weeks later my own 18 year old daughter had the cops charge me with common assault over a very minor incident. I've been highly involved in her upbringing and we've had a very good relationship in the past, although not recently. And oh yes, I decided a couple of years ago to investigate the other side of my sexuality and in March I was diagnosed as HIV positive (I trust the non-judgemental ears are listening?) my own fault.

It was getting diagnosed at the sexual health clinic that lead me into seeing a psychologist there and getting put on brain pills, so I guess something good has come out of it.
  12. loula

loula Member

i am addicted to valium. My doctor must realise this but not care. Be careful x
  13. pandamonium

pandamonium Well-Known Member

I was started on a very high dose of cymbalta, it stopped me from feeling depressed. The issue was that every time I took it I felt like I had been hit by a truck, had a lot of pain, felt like I was made of glass and about to break, lost my personality and creativeness... the list goes on. I think that in my case I needed to face my issues and not take pills to stop the hurt, I needed to feel the hurt it was only natural way of dealing with what happened. I am doing much better off them, but stopping was also a nightmare. In saying that I am glad they are working for you and I hope this gives you the strength to deal with what is happening with your life. Just try not to rely on them forever and work your way to getting off them when you think things are better.
  14. Belladonna

Wow, you've been through so much yet you are so impressively together! I am so sorry about all this loss. By the way, a virus sneaking into your body isn't something you should beat yourself over. You contracted a disease, you did not commit a crime. What happened with your daughter must have been completely heartbreaking. Have you spoken to her since and gained some sort of understanding about why she did that? I'm guessing maybe losing your wife may have had something to do with it?
  15. loula

loula Member

i agree entirely with above post. Do not blame yourself. Can i ask what made you have the H.I.V test...were there any symptoms or were you just on a routine check?
  16. aimless

aimless Member

loula, Symptoms yes, looked it up online and sort of thought I better get tested again. Often (but not always) there are flu like symptoms about a month after getting it; sore throat, night sweats, aching, etc. Those symptoms are so similar to other things many times HIV isn't thought of. Myself I was quite sick for nearly a month and lost 5 kilos.

Belladonna, yes it's true I should be less down on myself about it. Have since found out that 1 in 6 gay men in Sydney has it, and it's sort of accepted without judgmentalness in the gay world, unlike the hetro world. BTW there's been huge advances last few years and it's now a manageable disease, like diabetes. I was quite surprised. The drugs around now stop the virus.

As for my daughter, very long story. Who knows exactly why she did it, I'm sick of thinking about it. She's had access to counseling and friends for years so she can't whinge too much about how tough things are. My psychologist says I have to think about myself now and getting well from depression, and not her, which I'm trying to do.
  17. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

I'm taking Celexa, started with 10mg, half a pill, but now, took full pill, but it's to much now, so I'm stoping.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.