Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Feared.Desire, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

I go through my phases of ups and downs, currently; I’m in an up stage. It’s lasting longer than usual, so I thought I’d share things that currently helped me get better, even if only temporarily in hopes maybe it will help you.

First off, I quit drugs (other than drinking excessively). It was hard, I still have the impulse to do them, and I never thought I’d be able to quit, but I did, somehow. After two months of being sober I could feel myself getting happier.

When I quit the drugs I began mending my old friendships. I was still depressed before even with my three closest friends, but as soon as I was close with them again and actually had people to talk to, hang out with, and be with, I got happier. Just building relationships with people again made me feel better, even though it was tough. I don’t think many people thought highly of me because of some of the things I had done in the past (and I don’t blame them.)

Now, I’m back into fighting (martial arts), and being in shape has made me feel better about myself, and I’d say, helped me. I know how hard it is to get out and actually do something, but no matter how small the thing is, whether it be just go for a walk, (on your own or with somebody) I say, go for it.

I started doing well at school again. This may not apply for people who are no longer in school, but none the less. I was always worried about how mad and disappointed my family would be when I brought home marks, but at the same time I, myself, didn’t really care, so I never did well. This year I didn’t kill myself trying, but, I have bumped by 52.8 up to almost an 80, and it’s a lot of weight off my shoulders. It was hard at first because I had no motivation, but after I started, it just got easier. As was the case with most of the things listed above.

It started off with me, again, almost killing myself. I only actually only tried once, but I had all the supplies and a plan for another, final, attempt. I said, Ill give myself two months to try and make things better. Give it what you can, and if it’s still not better by then, I will leave. So I did, I stopped drugs, and after that, made my old friends back, getting back into shape followed, got myself to do my work, and then other things just followed. I got completive with my friends again, and the relationships with my sisters are on the rise, as is my relationship with my father. After being depressed for four, almost five years now, this is the longest period of time I’ve been happy, (about a month).

So, if anything, I hope this gives someone at least a small glimmer of hope for the future - it can get better.
  2. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Wonderful you are feeling better. Actually im kind of experiencing sth similar. Since i started a strict diet two month ago, and stopped to drink things have improved greatly. Im not only more confident to go out, since i lost over 20lbs, im more active taking one class, go to the gym occasionally, getting info about other adult learning programs, i can sleep now without sleeping pills, my delusions have gone, bought two birds that keep me company and im all together a happier and balanced person. Hope you can continue like it and hope the same for me.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2007
  3. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Thats great to hear. And I second that, I can sleep without sleeping pills too. Its nice, isnt it? I have to say, I never liked having to take medication to sleep, (could never just rest for a few hours).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.