Hard week

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by hopeful_changes, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys,

I had a very difficult week, wrapping stuff up with my ex wife - going through my regrets and all the struggles we've been through with my addictions and everything else.. Having a lot of regrets over the fialure of our relationship. Still very much in love with this woman, but she's moved on and I want her to find someone better than me (she truly deserves it) so I am not fighting anymore.. Been in a dark place for a few days. How do you guys deal with past addictions, and preventing relapses?

Struggling with it right now. I still drink socially but I went right overboard the other night (I used the socal drinking excuse to try and console myself about it but it wasn't that.. it was the alcoholism coming back), and I am worried. The bottle is looking more and more beautiful all the time. I pride myself on over comming the addictions but I guess we really never overcome, we just handle it... All the methods I was using to keep it all in check are not working any more and I don't know what to do...

I am fairly objective when I am sober, but my mind runs wild when I have been drinking and I have been in such a dark place, I really shouldn't be drunk. I thought I was past everything...

Thanks for listening..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Your strength and perseverance is commendable. Regrets about the past are inevitable but if you look at them as a guide for the future rather than as a predictor of it then you will get further. I do believe that it may be a near impossible challenge to keep the addictions at bay if you dabble in the socially acceptable use - it is a lot of pressure and keeps reopening and giving a window of opportunity to past issues to creep back in. Stay strong and seek support when you need it .......

3. ub3

ub3 Banned Member

its just a suggestion that may really help but 12 step meetings seem to lift many people out of their quagmires its not for everyone but if you really want to move out of the dark place its a possible way out. if you've tried already... try again it may be different this time. I empathise with you and just want to let you know your not alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.