Has a parent taken out their grief on you?

ringing

Every year my mom goes on a giant tirade at me because her mom died on that day. She's okay all the other days of the year, but then BOOM, she's incredibly erratic on her death anniversary. It's been 21 years since she died, wondered if anyone else's parent(s) act like this.

That's a long time to still acting that way, you must absolutely dread that day coming. I can't say I've ever experienced anything like that, and it must make it even harder as it sounds like she's there for you all the other time so it would be completly foreign each time it comes round.

Take care

Prussia

SF Supporter
That's not a great situation... Have you suggested that she get some counseling for her grief or find someone who can help her work through it? It sounds like, to me, that she hasn't quite gotten over it. She never will, but if she's that bad then she probably hasn't really dealt with it much at all yet and that's not healthy for either of you.

Stay safe, ok?

ringing

That's not a great situation... Have you suggested that she get some counseling for her grief or find someone who can help her work through it? It sounds like, to me, that she hasn't quite gotten over it. She never will, but if she's that bad then she probably hasn't really dealt with it much at all yet and that's not healthy for either of you.

Stay safe, ok?
Sadly the culture she grew up in makes thrrapy a nonidea. She's fine otherwise. All I can do is just wait till I'm out of the house and not talk to her on that day.

ringing

That's a long time to still acting that way, you must absolutely dread that day coming. I can't say I've ever experienced anything like that, and it must make it even harder as it sounds like she's there for you all the other time so it would be completly foreign each time it comes round.

Take care
Yeah and I keep forgetting the day too, I thought it was last week but when she was normal I asked my dad and it was actually yesterday. And I still forgot it a week later! I should probably mark it on my calendar.

Yeah and I keep forgetting the day too, I thought it was last week but when she was normal I asked my dad and it was actually yesterday. And I still forgot it a week later! I should probably mark it on my calendar.
Yes, with a week reminder so you can have plans to be elsewhere!

ringing

Yes, with a week reminder so you can have plans to be elsewhere!
That's pretty hard because I live with my parents and will be on break during the same time next year, but hopefully I'll get my own car insurance so I can drive wherever I want by then. Minimize time spent in the house that day, and just talk as little as possible.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$170.00
Goal
$255.00