Has anybody ever told their Psych/Cousellor About an Attempt and How did it Go?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Jun 8, 2008.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has told their psych/counsellor about any attempts they have made and wondered how it went?

I told my counsellor about one, she then told my workplace and my husband. I know not to do that again. I am lucky I have a friend I can tell. But makes it hard though when you really want to talk about it.
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

wtf... i think patient confidentiality is the most important rule in therapy. short of you abusing a kid (which they have to report).... how on earth would you open up if they blab to your family and to work.

are you still seeing the same counsellor? i say the main thing is to get a new counsellor.

as for opening up, yep i've told my therapist just about everything. i have made 3 attempts. more recently, the last time i was very close to attempting she had me sign a permission slip (or whatever it is called) in order to talk to my family doctor .... that's the only way she can talk to someone outside of the counselling center about me. together she and the doc recommended i go to the psych ward to be evaluated. it was kind of a tag team effort, as i didn't want to go but between them they convinced me i should go in order to be safe. in retrospect, i'm glad i did.

counselling will never work without honesty and trust, on both sides. if she was not honest with you about who she would talk to, and did not ask your permission then you need another counsellor, in my opinion.
  3. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I'd say get a new counselor.

I told my counselor about an attempt, but it was months after the fact. He acted like it was no big deal. I have no kind words to say about that incompetent, bungling idiot.
  4. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I think in the US the threat of lawsuits makes most therapists unwilling to not take action in the face of such a disclosure. If someone attempted and failed, told a therapist, then attempted and succeeded, the suicide's heirs would probably be able to successfully bring some kind of malpractice suit. At a minimum. Might even cost the therapist their license to practice.

Therapists aren't priests, bound by some sort of seal of Confession. I'm reasonbly sure they don't enjoy anything resembling attorney-client privilege as well. In short, I wouldn't tell anything to a therapist I wouldn't want known in open court. If it comes down you vs. them, I doubt many would be willing to sacrifice themselves.
  5. demonhunter999

demonhunter999 Well-Known Member

Yeah same here. I told mine 3 weeks ago and it was like no big deal, let's move on to next topic.
  6. mittens

mittens Active Member

yes. got committed to the skitso ward for a week. called the cops and arrested me.

do not trust them
  7. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

I told my counsellor, and then she told my mum >__<

I guess it's because I'm not 16 yet, but still..she did kinda muck things up =/
  8. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

The hospital told my counselor. :dry:
  9. MaNg0s

MaNg0s Well-Known Member

I told my therapist about it he was not surprised at all I think its because he kind of expected it to happen sooner or later.
  10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have told my therapist and she asked if I was willing to go to the hospital. I said no and she didn't push it. She did tell me what could happen to her if I did succeed and she hadn't acted on it though. I guess I never thought about how it could effect her and consequently all her other clients.
  11. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

The department of psychological medicine (DPM) contacts mine after. My counsellor once called the guy at DPM after I had been there and they have had a few conversations about it. Obvisouly DPM know as has been refered to them then they call counsellor - spose saves them wasting time seeing me to find out what suport network there is. She also has access to my medical records and speaks to my doc as she is the surgery counsellor. Don't know if I will see her again though... I am waiting to find out what is going to happen whether I will be under her care or hospital!
  12. sui caedere

sui caedere Well-Known Member

I told my counsellor i was going to kill myself i told him how i was going to do it and when and why.

I told him about the voices i was hearing.

And he just come out with was it is good to see you thinking about things a bit more and dont forget i be away for the next to weeks so i see you in 3 weeks.

I walked out of his office then called my doctor who meet me outside his office and drove me to the hospital.
  13. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

What could happen to her if you did succeed? Would she lose her job? Doesn't sound fair because we are the only ones responsible for our behaviour.
  14. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

I never told my psychologist/therapist more then he needed to know.

I knew If I spoke the truth I would never be allowed to leave the hospital.
    The more you say the more they panic.... the more they panic, the more pills you have to take.