Has anybody ever told their therapist what they thought of him/her?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Jan 26, 2010.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever told their therapist what they think of him/her.

My one is always saying what she thinks about me, could I comment back and say what I think about her?

She says I have attitude, (I think she has attitude, with some of the things she says to me). She also says I am sensitive, I know she is too, because I see tears coming out of her eyes sometimes.

I asked her once if she had any kids, she told me she wasn't allowed to say. (I don;t think she has). I have grief issues due to the loss of my daughter.

She even said I was a little eccentric. I don;t think I am.

Just wondering if you are supposed to sit here and take all this, or can you say what you think of them.
  2. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

I think you can talk about what you think of your therapist whether it is good or bad. They are there for you no matter what you say about them unless you feel their response affect your therapy and therapeutic relationship.
  3. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

i told my therapist a few times what i felt about her methods of therapy and she has always worked with it. i've never tried to come down on her as a person, but i have expressed frustration.
  4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Umm... well; once I felt that my (ex)therapist was attacking me verbally and I ended up telling her that she should focus on her failing marriage and affairs with patients before she tells me what's wrong with *my* life.

...I don't get angry very often. I'm an understanding person, I think-- and much more patient than most people. I hate conflict and drama-- hate it.
    lol. thinking about it now, I wish I hadn't said that. Although it is kind of funny that I said it at all- I probably hurt her, and that was wrong of me.
    aww, poop. Maybe it's a case of: 'don't dish it out if you can't take it' < or whatnot?
  5. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

two of them i did.... tho with my semi-kind-of-current one i'm too scared to, to be honest. but seeing as i havent seen her since the middle-to-end of last year i think she has a pretty good idea of what i think of her at the moment.
  6. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Yes, that's one of the best things about therapy.

I'm not mean, that's not a good idea. I just let them know what I think.
  7. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Yes, I have known to be very honest and say exactly what I think. I usually try my best and be nice as I can but enough is enough sometimes. I went to one therapist for a few months - maybe six months. She kept trying to make me set goals for my therapy sessions with her. Finally I told her I thought setting goals was silly and I hated how she kept pressuring me into setting goals. I didnt have any goals. My only goal was to get out of her office without throwing something at her because it makes me angry being constatly asked to set a damn goal. I got her supervisor to come into the room and I even yelled at him over the goal thing.. I think its okay to tell your therapist what you think of them. If they dont realize their attitude is upsetting you or something they do is annoying to you they cant remedy it. So yes tell them what you think. If they think your giving them attitude thats their problem. Your in a therapy session. Your suppose to wine, cry, yell, and feel free to say whats on your mind. They are there to help you - not give you attitude..
  8. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

I'm not scared of telling my therapist what I think of them. Had one therapist was this stupid ****, who cared more about her financial needs rather than her own patients and had a habit of degrading people on top of that. One session from her gave me the strength I need to key her Mercedes and leave a nice long scratch on the side.

Had another therapist who got pissed at me for not admitting myself to the ER after an attempt. I just left that guy for good and never came back, and he never called back to check to see whether I was alive or dead.
  9. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

I said. I was there once or twice maybe 15 years ago and I noticed that woman is sicker than me and stop it. I said to her what I think about her. She had also over big gold fish eyes and I doubt she ever really blink them.. It was awfull when she just stairing at me, her eyes did not move, she did not move :eek:hmy: she just stairing at me, she did not hear any word what I said and when my time was over she read from paper what she had to said to me... It was one scary woman and she should H E L P people at some way ? :blink: