has anybody ever walked out in the middle of an appointment?

plates

I walked out early on every session I had with the self righteous, condescending social worker at my most recent detox. My "assigned staff member" would tell me "you should stay for the whole thing, you'll get out of here quicker". Jackass, it's not about getting out fast, its about getting out well and sober. As it is I got out when I was detoxed physically but far from well, and went right back to the needle at the earliest opportunity.
By constrast, I had one therapist that I loved to go to, I hated the fact insurance only allowed me 10 visits. Well, sometime between visit 5-6, he committed, himself. Where does one go for help when apparantly the helpers are all more fucked than I am?

this is so much like that at my local psych ward. jump through hoops, get out. it's a prison and the way you're treated is like that too even if you're not sectioned. with me though i was intent that i was not going to kill myself off, but like you, i was far from 'okay' when i left in 07 after a week. i just had a bit of bed rest that was it.

When I was 14 I was seeing one of the worst psychologists I've ever came across, and I simply couldn't stand the guy.

After a few months I just went there, told him I'd rather get home to watch Dragonball Z, and left.

After a few of those visits he declared me "cured"

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
My current psychologist does nothing but ask questions, and provide worst case scenarios.

For example, yesterday. I told him I get suicidal during the night, and he asked me what keeps me from trying to kill myself. I told him my kids mostly. He get on me about the mostly part. I just told him that I did not want to leave my parents saddled with debt.

He then went on and on about a boxing ring on his wall. I understood part of it, but not the majority if it.

There's no need to walk out on my current doctors. Dr. is a psychologist who I see twice a week. Once for individual therapy and once for Skills Group with other patients. Dr. B is a psychiatrist that I rarely see. She's just on my treatment team to help me and Dr. make sure I get the best treatment I can. I get along with them except when Dr. B tries to make bad jokes :P I wanted to walk out on my old psychiatrist, Dr. so many times. Same with C, my old social worker. I walked away from a nurse and a psychiatrist that were trying to talk to me when I was in the children's psych ward I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yes. I walked out on my therapist when she decided to take things into her own hands and told my chemical dependency counselor that I drank once during treatment. I was in the process of trying decide how/when/if I was going to tell my CD counselor. I was pissed.

coffee

I've never done it. But I almost did it once with this ridiculous psychiatrist but she convinced me so I stayed but I should have just walked out.

Pebble

I got up and said that I wanted to the session to end so I was leaving in my last app with my cpn - the previous app I had told her how suicidal I was feeling and that I didnt' feel safe she had just said 'thats sad' and it had all resulted in me taking an overdose - this session all she said was 'why didn't you tell me how you were feeling???' and what could she have done to prevent it!!!!!what the hell, she is such a waste of space, she now says that I have anger issues - I only have anger issues when with her as she doesn''t even understand!!

corang

I should have with my first therapist all she did was tell me how bad my life was going to be every appointment. She didnt even care enough suggest anything besides just change now or youll become a hard drug addict or kill yourself!

Id get high before going just so I could make it through the appointments and still left worse every time.

KittyGirl

No... not during therapy-- although I *did* run away from a few pap examinations... because I'd heard that they hurt and it was way too embarassing... so I literally snuck out of the doctor's office and ran down the street and hid. lol

Have not gone to get one since they *finally* caught me.
And I don't think I ever will again. -____- **shudders**

I think about every Dr, Psychiatrist or soical worker appointment I atleast walked out once, when everything was too much to handle. Twice I ended up on the roof of the building at the hospital and one of the times I actually jumped. And that's why I can't go therapy

Brandon

i've worked out of a couple social workers/phychiatrist/therapist appointments, all during my stays in the hospital. I don't have many appointments now, so i don't really have a problem keeping them

Viro

Not during. I've suffered through a few, knowing that I won't be coming back. I guess I just can't face the idea of just blatantly being rude to someone who's trying to help me.

Then again, I haven't had anyone truly terrible. Slightly clueless, yes. But not completely awful.

IV2010

I wish I had walked out of my last psychologists office....
I'd tell her what the problems were and she'd say..'and how do you think you can change that?'....
If I knew that why would I be talking to her??
I texted her and said I wouldn't be back....wish I'd told her what a dufus she was...

No but I've been very tempted.

I've had a few bad ones. One in particular was REALLY bad and i just sat there and said 'i don't know' to all his questions. He basically begged me to give him a decent answer, by the end of it he finally asked if i thought there were demons in the walls or if they could talk(wtf?) i said sort of laughed(i couldn't keep a straight face at that one no matter how hard i tried... and honestly i tried to keep it in) and said no. I just left after and since they make you make another appointment as your leaving i just called later and cancelled it. Except once after my counselor made me go to another app with that psych i tried to cancel the next app that they made and the bitch at the desk wouldn't let me so i just didn't show up.

My most recent one wasn't that bad... more just plain annoying. I just screwed the system and lied. I would have said 'i dont know' to all the question as well but i just wanted that bitch to shut up so i gave her what she was looking for and i never returned.

The only psych i actually have liked so far was one that worked out of the hospital/psych ward and i'm not willing to go back to the hospital just to see him....

rojomi

Banned Member
no-but wish I had. I get dissed for knocking psychiatry, but I've known a few personally who were more screwed up than their clients. My favorite was one I saw here in Cincinnati,Ohio. She was annoyed that I was late-her staff didn't mention that I needed to complete a novel about myself before our appointment. She was all done-up like a hooker; spike heels, perfect hair
& make-up, bada-bing dress. I'm bipolar and without a glance at my chart, asked about my eating disorder. I happen to be the right weight for my size and my medical doctor has never mentioned ANY issue regarding an eating disorder. I decided to let her go on, but tuned out to allow her to continue with whatever she and her medications were telling her to do. Wish I'd brought the camera!

Domo

rojomi, i hope you don't think i was 'dissing' you for your opinion on psychiatrists.

I just didn't think it was helpful to turn the thread into a let's bag psychs deal.

I know there are a lot out there who shouldn't be practicing. I don't disagree with you there.

I just don't want people to use these situations as confirmation that they are better off not getting help. There are a lot of really good of doctors out there, it just sometimes takes time to find one.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up with you. I apologise if you felt i had invalidated your opinion. It was not intended.

downunder

I started this thread, because I have been to see some people who ask you a question, and you answer it and sit in silence for ages, until the next question, and I have had people say to me, "you should have just walked out", so was wondering if anyone had done that.

I have seen a couple of good people too.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00