has anyone actually gotten ANY help with therapy???

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by under the mask, Mar 11, 2016.

1. I've been through so many therapists, I can't keep track. Now i'm in the hospital, and they do nothing. They just sit there, pretend to listen, and then they leave. Is that it? Is that what they call therapy? I've begged them several times to give me anything, tools, motivational guidance, anything, but they always weasel out of the question, and i'm left with nothing but wasted time.
  2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I am sorry to hear you feel so frustrated with your therapists.

Have you considered therapy forms such as DBT? Those are focused on giving you tools and coping mechanisms.
    Don't stop asking for more help when you feel you need it. That's a strength!

3. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

Time in the hospital is a waste. It is just a safe place to stabilize and change meds. A time out from life so to speak. You have to invest the time with a therapist; they can't afford the time in a hospital. Sometimes I wonder what I got out of years of therapy - I got a safe place to talk of suicidal feelings before this site, and I got some direction in my life but most of it seems useless now. This site has helped me more.
    Freya likes this.
  4. silent_chaos

silent_chaos Well-Known Member

I have and along with the right meds and dbt.
  5. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

Maybe we can offer you some motivation. :) There is good to be had in life. You are a good person and you deserve happines. Focus on something you enjoy. Whether it be music or a show or an exercise or a hobby. Writing out your thoughts and emotions and feelings can help too. Listen to Rockabye by Shawn Mullins and Breathe by Anna Nalick. They are uplifting, comforting songs. Like Mullins sings, everything's gonna be alright. :) Positive thinking can help a lot. Tell yourself that things aren't as bad as they seem and that they will get better. Because they CAN and they WILL. We care about you here. You are NOT alone. Come here anytime you need any help. hug
    Freya likes this.
  6. Kind of surprised they allow you access to a phone or computer while you're in the hospital. They certainly never did that for me...

To answer your question, yes, I have had some success with certain therapists. And it never seems to last. But that's part of the cycle - you have to keep going. If you dwell on what's been bad, you'll miss out on what could be good.

Adam is right - the best therapy is what you can do for yourself. Write, cook, sew, swim, do something you enjoy.
    AdamTide likes this.
  7. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

Thanks organic ! :) I appreciate you mentioning my name in a positive way like that. I always do everything within my power to help anyone I can. Helping others is sometimes the only thing keeping me alive. It makes me feel useful and gives me reason to put up with all the nervousness and depression. I know how awful it can all be so I want to help other people who are going through similar struggles. Thanks again.