Has anyone considered the link between media and their suicide impulses?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by jameslyons, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

The movie Gattaca, or the score to the movie always makes me want to kill myself. Their's suicide depicted in the film, and it really reinforces the desire I struggle against.

The American remake of the Swiss ? film Insomnia makes me want to kill myself.

The French film, "Ne les dis a personne" also drives me to suicidal thoughts.

I read the play Hamlet several times over the last couple of months. Each scene had like seven different arguments for suicide.

And while I recognize that those thoughts are foreign and destructive, I struggle with the feeling that depression and suicide in accompaniment to these pieces of media are the only way of obtaining an "authentic" feeling of the world.

I just had to post this because I listened to the final track of Gattaca and had a moment of seriously considering going all the way this time.

Then I decided it would be better to write a post, take a shower, and then poach an egg. :biggrin:
  2. attack_amazon

attack_amazon Well-Known Member

I get the same thing at times. There doesn't even have to be anything obviously suicidal in the plot for me, just something that produces the sense of the world being a crappy place where everyone loses and there's nothing you can do about it. I actually found a cartoon movie that I used to love as a kid online the other day and watched it. I apparently never realized as a kid how truly depressing the storyline was. So, no movies or books for me for awhile. At least nothing that isn't upbeat.
  3. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I'm totally the same. There are films or movie/program soundtracks or scenarios that trigger me to want to kill myself or cut. It's sad, but if i let it run my life i'd end up with a very boring television viewing list xD
  4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Ah, sense at last. Everyone, entertainment has nothing on SUICIDEFORUM as trigger.

I come to fulfill a calling to help out a little and participate; to share my life and to share when I'm down, for there are many people who will relate.

But it stops at killing myself.

If films or songs were a trigger to go kill my fucking self (a hilarious thought gleened from the right angle), I would.... not watch those films nor listen to those song, 'duh'.

Same for SF. Once it becomes a destructive element for me, I'm gone from here.

5. jameslyons

That's good! It's important to do what's best for you.

Thanks for sharing!

6. jameslyons

What to do except dating somebody just so we can watch these sad movie and then use their shoulders to cry on:tongue:
  7. jameslyons

Good idea!
  8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Hmm, Oxford Street makes me want to kill myself :smile:
    Shopping centres, expecially around this time of year makes me want to kill myself :smile: I actually was chanting "I'm gonna die" in BHS today after I got my prescription. :laugh:
    Isn't all this a media influence? Shopping centres and advertising and the people around, either for shit you "need" to buy or the books/films you "need" to read/watch?

Yeah, books and films and music definitely are emotive but I can't say any one of them has ever encouraged me to die, maybe show a different angle on life/death and people's places in everything. That's it.
  9. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

You got it babe. 'Tis capitalism (or just economics) at its raunchiest: They want your money.
  10. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I guess if you really think about, just about anything could be potentially triggering. If movies or songs are triggering to you guys, then just don't watch them or listen to them.
  11. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Ah, rings true and, and familiar Dave!

As a "suggestion" it does seem really obvious.
  12. jameslyons

I agree, very logical. But it doesn't take into account the self-destructive urges that say, " you should watch that..." :laugh: It's so nonsensical!
  13. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Well, foreign to me as well, but...

We've troubled souls of all types on here, and when I think of your urges example, schizophrenia and those very real 'voices' spring to mind.
  14. jameslyons

If only...:(

I'm happy with a strong emotional drive to self-destruct. I don't know how I'd handle external voices. That'd be tough.
  15. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

If only what?
  16. jameslyons

if only i could explain away my desire to kill myself as a by product of schizophrenia. the self destructive urge is more internal, and that makes me sad :(

Sorry for not using proper punctuation.

17. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hi James,

So i'm confused. You are schizophenric or not?
  18. jameslyons

Just destructive
    wholly me, though.
  19. jameslyons

Severe depression off and on for 16 years. At least 8 months out of each year...

But doing better now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.