Has anyone ever ended up in the Psych Ward?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by downunder, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever ended up in "Pysch Ward" and what happened there? What was it like? How did they treat you? Were you drugged up? Did anyone play up? Anyone escape? Did they treat you like an idiot? Did they make you do any stupid things? How did you manage to hide it from people, work etc?

Just curious, this has never happened to me. But it is my biggest fear and as a result I am very careful of what I say etc.
  2. Christianv2

Christianv2 Well-Known Member

I never have, but a friend of mine did. She hasnt ever really talked about it with me, I think it still upsets her a bit.
  3. puppydog31

puppydog31 Member

It's one of my biggest fears at the moment too. One of my best friends checked herself in last week after attempting suicide. She was out on a weekend pass, and she told me a few things about it. She said that the nurses are relatively nice, and the food is eatable. The only thing she doesn't like is the fact that you have to get someone to unlock the bathroom everytime you need to go, as well as the kitchen when you want a snack. Other then that, she never really went into detail. Hope this helped.
  4. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

No chance, people over here who attempt suicide are just sent home, again and again and again, and you guessed it, again. No doubt those who really need to be kept safe or need their meds getting right don't get the inpatient care they need. It's not really a fear of mine anymore because here you really have to be RAVING mad and a threat to other people (being a threat to yourself dosen't seem to matter) to be taken in.

Only ill physical effects from a failed attempt seem to be treated in hospital.
  5. FireBird

FireBird Well-Known Member

I have been in a mental hospital 4 times in my life. It is extremely boring. Last visit was the absolute worst because there were a few jerks who deliberately targeted me. Not a delusion. They called me nasty names and made me cry which I normally don't cry. Even the stupid doctor was stupid. Did I mention he is stupid? He lied to me. He thought what I was experiencing was real and I wasn't making it up. Then I got the report and he really thinks I just look up things on the Internet and books and they gave me the symptoms. So I guess that everyone who researches stuff will actually get the disease they are researching. That is according to this dummy logic of his. When I go back, I will shoot him down and get it off my chest. I have a lot of anger toward this doctor who really DIDN'T believe a word that I was saying. Then after I shoot him down, I won't tell him what is going on and demand another doctor. I think I am going back sometime this year because right now I am close to being suicidal but the ONLY thing that is stopping me is the cruise in a little over a week and a few other cool things soon. I never knew the Internet existed when I was 1 and according to him I must have gotten the autism from the non existent internet and knew how to read medical stuff at the age of one! I did know how to read at 3 though but not medical stuff until my teen years. I have been anxious all my life, and the same with depression. I have had suicidal thoughts almost my whole life. I am not making anything up as this jerk is implying. The pills that I have taken over the past 2 years have made me gain between 50-80 pounds! Now I am obese and I used to be the thin one in the family. Pills ruin my life, I get all the side effects, I'd rather have the depression (right now I have a lack of appetite and am LOSING weight!!!) and anxiety than being 300 pounds and diabetic which is deadly.
  6. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I've been several times. The 1st time I was terrified because I thought it was like the movies (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). Nope. You are a little restricted, but then you are in the hospital. The nurses seem more in tune with the patients than the docs so if you need to talk or anything, approach the nursing staff. But there were so many things available, crafts, woodworking, piano if you played, billiards, greenhouses, movies you could have almost any food you wanted brought in. Of course there are the other patients to be careful of, but some have turned out to be my best friends, they understand me and we have kept in touch since leaving. It pretty much is what you make the experience to be. Psych wards have changed a lot. And they have a lot to offer you if you are willing to take the opportunities.
  7. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Here in Ukraine thay dont give a shit about you, if you feel bad, thay just
    give you a sleeping pill, no one listens to you, the food is like in jail, ukranian
    jail that is, and thay put poeple in there only if thay are agressive and may harm others.
    There is 1 TV for everyone, and few box games which no one plays...
  8. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

You don't seem happy with the fantastic NHS? I do wonder what you need to have done to be admitted. Judging by what I have read about people who have been in the USA if they have made an attempt or mentioned they feel suicidal seems as though they recieve mre help! I do agree with what you say - I think it is all cost cutting!!!!
  9. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

you could look on it as cost cutting, but another angle is that people recover faster with the support of their community. that's the model here in ireland. yes, there are psych hospitals, but there are places called 'day hospitals' that offer more intensive support and treatment, but you go home at night. that's what i attend. i have a mental health team assigned to me and the nurse on the team has done more than the psych's ever could, in my opinion. i like the day hospital model... it's more support than just regular counselling, but i am free to work, come home to my own home at night, chill out with my own books and music. much better than the hospital!!!
  10. mittens

mittens Active Member

was for a week. started me on anti depressives and was stuck in a hospital. however we were allowd to vivist the nearby rec center. permitted we were with others.

(tried running from my shrink who called the cops, came to my house and made me leave)
  11. faded echoes

faded echoes Active Member

I was just dischanrged in May from a 3 month hospital stay. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't pleasant either. They messed with my meds a lot. At first I was extremely drugged and it was very obvious, then they took me off all of my meds which triggered a manic episode - so I was a mess for a lot of the time that I was there.

Some people played it up while they were there and everyone knew it. I escaped a few times while I was there and they sent the police out looking for me. The nurses treated us pretty good, some were better than others of course. It was hard to hide from people. I just told some people that I was in the hospital and left it at that and a lot of people didn't bother asking further questions.

We weren't forced into doing anything terribly stupid, especially if we didn't want to. It's not as bad as you might fear. Although I wouldn't recommend a hospitalization if it isn't necessary, they're rather boring and aggravating (other patients can be a real pain).

Hope that answers all your questions.
  12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Yes sir I have been in the hospital ten times in the last couple of years. It isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. The staff has always been kind and very helpfull. For example if you are feeling really down you can go up to one of the staff an ask them can I speak to you. Most of the time they will stop what they are doing and you both will go somewere on the ward and talk. Most of the people who are bitching have been Baker Acted and have to go in front of a judge and he will decide what is going to happen. If you go in voluntariley, you don't have to see a judge.
    A word of advice, don't try to make friends with anyone because once you get out of the hospital they go there seperate ways and you don't see each other anymore. Also you have some people who are in there under false pretences to get you to think your friends and then the first chance they get they will rip you off. Well I will shut up now. Bottom line is yes I would go back in the hospital if I have to...:chopper:
  13. sui caedere

sui caedere Well-Known Member

Yes Twice the first one was so bad i cut my wrists to get away from the doctors.

You go to hospital to get help and the doctors just looked down at me for wanting to kill myself one even told me i was wasting his time and the hospitals money.
  14. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Sounds better than where I'm living now. I always thought it wouldn't be too bad to live in the psych ward or prison. It's a fairly easy existence at least. Choices can be awfully hindering.
  15. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

Wow I wish it were like that here!

I've been put in the Psych Ward once, I was there for four days and absolutely hated it. The staff wasn't bad but most of the patients were out of their minds. One patient told me not to throw out my left over food, so I saved it the next time I ate and offered it to him. He got pissed off and made a big scene in the lunch room. He then followed me to the restroom after lunch, spat in my face and called me a mother fucker. I was a bit scared to be honest, I just walked away, i didn't want to fight.

It was boring as hell there. One of the only things they had to do was watch tv and it was always on the same channel, you couldn't change it. There was a half hour during the day when everyone was allowed to go outside in this fenced in area. When I was outside the one day there was a guy picking up dirt and eating it. :blink: The only other thing we did was sometimes go to classes for about a half hour. One day they had crossword puzzles, another day I had to draw a license plate with a personal message and other goofy things.

They had me fairly drugged up, but not to the point that I didn't understand what was going on. The staff treated me alright but ignored me a lot, like when I asked to shave or take a shower it took them forever. The food wasn't horrible, definitely not healthy, but not very bad tasting. Mostly cheap microwavable crap. They forced us to wake up really early in the morning and locked the bedroom doors after we got up, so you had to be in the tv room with people drooling on themselves almost the entire day.
  16. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

I've been in a very nice facility twice. It was a brand new setup, the staff (mostly) professional, spent the day every day in group sessions, discussing a variety of coping skills. Between classes, we could rest in our rooms or sit in the common room, reading or curling up on a couch. Two wings, one for men, the other for women. Free laundry available when needed, given our toiletries for showers when we asked. Great meals catered by the parent hospital, snacks in the evening, tv time after classes, we voted on what to watch - mostly videos. The PT was lousy - a real jerk whom no one liked. A helpful two week stay.

Back again for a three day stay two months later that was a nightmare because the on call psychiatrist thought I was being over medicated - the meds my psychiatrist had me on - so stopped them cold turkey. The first stay, they gave us every day all the meds we were taking prior to entrance. I was voluntary, so could have left anytime. The incompetence of the psych cost the hospital a bunch of money after I wrote a well written letter of complaint. But, overall, I wouldn't mind going back if I need to, on condition that the pt and the lousy psychiatrist aren't on duty.

My psychiatrist told me that my fiasco brought about some changes, so if I were to go back, things would be different. Apparently my letter did its job.

Sorry to have told my life story, but that's my experience, for what it's worth.
  17. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I spent some time in two of them.. They were both dirty. The basements (where the kitchens were) had roaches in them. The heaters/Air conditioners didnt work right. We had no privacy. Couldnt lock our bathroom doors when we needed a shower or needed to use the potty. There were no mirrors. You couldnt have certain hygien items - hair spray, perfume, razors, hair gel, ect. They made you go to therapy and take medications even if you didnt want to. It was horrible. One even weighed you every morning and made you tell them about your bathroom habits (if you peed or pooed)...
  18. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i've been in them countless times. in fact i just got out of a six week stay in one. they changed all my meds and did electric shock treatments on me three times a week for four weeks. it was helpful to be there although very boring.
  19. Anon08

Anon08 Guest

They still use electric shock as therapy? Doesn't it hurt? I thought electric shock was something that had been abandoned.
  20. ZundertowZ

ZundertowZ Well-Known Member

i attempted once last year...i was in hospital for 2 days with a tube in my dick cause i was not allowed to get up, i had a guard watching me! from there i was in mental ward for a week which was basically wake up, eat, go to meetings, eat, visiting hours, meetings, eat, tv, sleep. i told my work that i had a medical emergency and they bought it cause they gave me a generic note. the hole situation was and still is quite embarrassing! truthfully the only reason i am alive is the fear that i will fail, lose my job, and be homeless....again. our worse end up a vegetable.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.