Has Anyone Ever Had A Psych/Counsellor/Therapist etc - give up on them or refer them

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Aug 10, 2008.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Has Anyone Ever Had A Psych/Counsellor/Therapist etc - give up on them or refer them elsewhere?

Just wondering. I feel like saying to the psych just give up on me, I will eventually do what I want to do.

The counsellor who I was seeing at work sent me to the work doctor so that she would refer me on to a psych. She didn't tell me though that I was in her too hard basket. I suppose if they feel they are getting no where with you they move you on.

I don't really think I am that bad other than wanting to do myself in, I don't seem to have any other problems other than grief ?? I am not running around naked in the streets or doing anything crazy like that.

2. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Re: Has Anyone Ever Had A Psych/Counsellor/Therapist etc - give up on them or refer t

I suppose they have to be honest. If they don't think that they can help you, for whatever reason, they must try to move you on to someone who can. It's not a sign of you being too difficult or anything, just that they have exhausted their repetoire.

3. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

Re: Has Anyone Ever Had A Psych/Counsellor/Therapist etc - give up on them or refer t

If I were a therapist and heard a client say things I've said the past two months, I'd not terminate him. That's what I'm facing right now. Only one session left in 10 days. It has me kind of freaked, afraid I'll go backward.

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I don't know about giving up on you. The thing I find irratating is when they keep comparing you with them. My therapist now is pretty good but sometimes I feel like she doesn't beleive some of the stuff I am telling her. I keep waiting for the other foot to fall. Every thing I tell her is the truth, even she can see how garbled up my mind is. I constantly will be saying something and boom the thought is gone so I get frustrated. I also have a bad short term memory loss. She keeps hitting me up with my coping skills to see if I am paying attention. I tell her my memory sucks. Then she gets pissed and says stuff like I am not trying. I guess I live in constant fear that she is going to wash her hands of me!!

5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I left a therapist in 1996. I was severely depressed and disoriented from a long bout with sleep deprivation and couldn't physically appear at his office so I had a phone session. I was desperate and pouring my heart out into the phone. He meanwhile was shuffling papers, eating so I could hardly understand him and responding in ways that I knew he was barely paying attention to me. When I ended up in the hospital I asked to be introduced to a friend's therapist.

Two years later, in a similar state and on my way to another hospital stay I called my psychiatrist regarding a very real emergency (my first time in eight years) with a new medication I was trying- he returned my call more than a day later. I've since moved on to a very sweet, very professional psychiatrist whom I can call and contact directly in an emergency twenty four hours a day.

Moving on to different therapists and psychiatrists with word-of-mouth references as a guide has been great for me. Maybe the people you are presently seeing will have you seek to move on without their even saying so by showing a disconnect or giving signs of a lack of genuine concern as I experienced? I don't see a psychiatrist giving up on a person because they are too difficult even in the case of a patient who is extremely problematic. I know of some extremely "high maintenance" patients seeing the same psychiatrist for many years.

6. Re: Has Anyone Ever Had A Psych/Counsellor/Therapist etc - give up on them or refer t

True story... I had a wonderful therapist who got me through the hardest part of loosing a child. She was there for me at any time and basicly saved me from going over the edge. Then I get a call from my sister saying she commited suicide that weekend. Its not been easy(near impossible) to trust another therapist.

7. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Strangerthanfiction,

I am going through similar to you, losing a child and almost losing my job.