• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Has anyone ever...

MisterBGone

Yes, I have. . . And come quite close to doing so; or furthermore—(just that!)! On several occasions; though, it’s been some time since occupying that, “head_space!” ; )there was a member here, a little while ago - who is no longer ‘active,’ but I think he’d have been a great source to talk to, as I believe he would backpack across Austria for many months at a time out of a given year — off the grid! So to speak... & as I may be correctly recalling, he was a writer by trade, so maybe that freelancing ability (if it were) would allow such flexibility?? Any way: maybe you should! ;)

Walker

Admin-a-monkey
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Yeah. We hear about this quite often here actually. I think it's the "step above" people who are terribly suicidal. Like, "I don't actually want to die, I just want to hit the red button and start over again". So by leaving behind everything they know and have worked for to travel or whatever you can be free of all the things you think might be hindering your life - family or friends or work or even kids. Sometimes people DO this and it works out for them. Other times they do it for a short time and still others they do it and then add back in the components that they miss from the prior time.
You know where my inbox is.

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
Yes, I have. . . And come quite close to doing so; or furthermore—(just that!)! On several occasions; though, it’s been some time since occupying that, “head_space!” ; )there was a member here, a little while ago - who is no longer ‘active,’ but I think he’d have been a great source to talk to, as I believe he would backpack across Austria for many months at a time out of a given year — off the grid! So to speak... & as I may be correctly recalling, he was a writer by trade, so maybe that freelancing ability (if it were) would allow such flexibility?? Any way: maybe you should! ;)
That sounds really exciting actually... I don't know if I want to be off grid, but I would love to experience more of the world, rather than my four walls and my fridge and my internet and sometimes my car and traffic. And work.

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
Yeah. We hear about this quite often here actually. I think it's the "step above" people who are terribly suicidal. Like, "I don't actually want to die, I just want to hit the red button and start over again". So by leaving behind everything they know and have worked for to travel or whatever you can be free of all the things you think might be hindering your life - family or friends or work or even kids. Sometimes people DO this and it works out for them. Other times they do it for a short time and still others they do it and then add back in the components that they miss from the prior time.
You know where my inbox is.
I think this has validity but doesn't apply necessarily... I feel like I'd be running toward something, not away. I'd be creating something, not shirking responsibility or denying people in my life.

This post is about wanting to have a life.. not ending it.

I just wonder if the risk is worth it. SOmetimes I think it is.

MisterBGone

Sounds good 👌! :^). . (This may help on a smaller scale): what I sometimes like to do, when I feel “stuck in a rut,” or watered-down by the same routine, day after day... is to simply throw a monkey-wrench into the “structure,” of my given day! So, for instance—if I’ve been used to (or comfortable) doing certain things at certain times of the day, I will suddenly shake them up. And do as many things completely differently, just for the sake of a new, fresher perspective (& sometimes, outlook on life). A different view of the world as it were. And sometime, If there is something that I’ve been say putting off for a good long while for whatever reason (usually aided by anxiety riddled excuses!), I’ll force myself to do just that! It’s not even an option. Or a question, to-morrow @ 6 p.m. you’re going to this place, to do that thing! And then it’s settled... no dilemmas~ involved! Might help with the boredom or monotony, some? ;)

p. s.) & this is fairly off topic; but I’ve noticed quite a few “successful” people in the entertainment world didn’t have (or want a backup!”) _;)

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
Sounds good 👌! :^). . (This may help on a smaller scale): what I sometimes like to do, when I feel “stuck in a rut,” or watered-down by the same routine, day after day... is to simply throw a monkey-wrench into the “structure,” of my given day! So, for instance—if I’ve been used to (or comfortable) doing certain things at certain times of the day, I will suddenly shake them up. And do as many things completely differently, just for the sake of a new, fresher perspective (& sometimes, outlook on life). A different view of the world as it were. And sometime, If there is something that I’ve been say putting off for a good long while for whatever reason (usually aided by anxiety riddled excuses!), I’ll force myself to do just that! It’s not even an option. Or a question, to-morrow @ 6 p.m. you’re going to this place, to do that thing! And then it’s settled... no dilemmas~ involved! Might help with the boredom or monotony, some? ;)

p. s.) & this is fairly off topic; but I’ve noticed quite a few “successful” people in the entertainment world didn’t have (or want a backup!”) _;)
This is some nice advice. I will try to shake it up a bit more, if I can you know... figure out how to.

I'd like to try things I've always wanted to try but been too scared to. Like singing in front of an audience or clog dancing or something. What about you. Anything you've wanted to try that you haven't?

Thanks as always for the continual support. :)

MisterBGone

This is some nice advice. I will try to shake it up a bit more, if I can you know... figure out how to.

I'd like to try things I've always wanted to try but been too scared to. Like singing in front of an audience or clog dancing or something. What about you. Anything you've wanted to try that you haven't?

Thanks as always for the continual support. :)
You know, it’s funny that you mention that! Because it’s been quite a long time since I’ve had a good list of things I need to do, but have just been too frightened to (which is not to say, they are not out there... somewhere!)! Ha! ;) I used to always want to go play and sing at open mics with my guitar. However, not knowing how (or lacking the experience of), to sing into a make gave me some pause, as it would be “learning on the fly,” so-to-speak!! I know some people use their home setups (and not necessarily PA’s), for “practice,” but I don’t have that kind of equipment... best advice I could give on stepping out on stage in front of people (or strangers), would be to just prepare your best, and then just go do it, and be happy with, or live with the results—whatever they may be! :D And having read a ton of first hand accounts and examples on various guitar forums of people’s first time experiences with “open mics,” everything ranging from seasoned pros, who are used to performing in bands, or those who just picked up their first acoustic guitar last month... is that nearly every last one of them was terrible from the start. And that, like with a lot of things I suppose), there is kind of a “learning curve!” Involved—& in your situation, if it is just about getting over that hump, or hurdle - the road block, so to speak: then it may be best just to do it for the sake of being able to say you’ve done ✅ so! ;) you know, I used to always hate the sound of my own voice growing up when hearing it on answering machines. It sounded so differently from the one I was hearing when I spoke in my head. And I’m wondering if it isn’t quite possible that that would’ve be the same, or similar experience here. . . I will say that with modern day technology, this does not exist, in say posting videos on say YouTube or Instagram. They seem to sound just fine, and very similar to me playing live (or in my living room). Also, amongst performers who do this sort of a thing for a living—it is said that those, or they are two separate skills; performing on stage, and being good or proficient in the studio - as I’m sure you’d probably imagine!).
Lastly..;) you can bare with me - b/c I know you are not still reading—unless you’ve just said, “flip it!!’ & skipper to the end— ? ;) maybe I should erase that first and last page break?! :D i have ALWAYS wanted to learn how to more professionally record my self playing and singing my guitar 🎸 via the means available today with modern technology.
For instance, for the first time this past winter, I bought a used microphone. But since I didn’t have a fully functioning computer (spilled some nail polish remover which fried the keyboard, after trying to super glue my broken glasses back together; didn’t realize just how “fast-setting,” it was... & I don’t think I have to tell you how inexperienced i was with the nail polish remover - there is still a small white blotch, or stain, on my wooden dining room table!). This made it incredibly difficult to use software required, as well as the digital audio interface requiring to process such things or effects (or maybe I’ve stated that somewhat backwards, I don’t honestly even know as I didn’t get very far; tried to take a “short cut,” of sort investing in the relatively more inexpensive setup for an iPhone & that was to say the least, a disaster given my lack of technical savvy...;) unless I got a bum, ‘mic!’ Unless “very good,” condition dictated ... “comes with automatic incredibly loud click track that is ten times louder than normal on at all times: whether you want it to be - or not!). Ha! ;^)

Sunspots

★☆ Comfortably Sunny☆★
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Man, I think about it all the time. I want an adventure, to travel the world to see and experience all that this planet has to offer.

I think about buying a motorhome or a yacht and just heading off into the sunset and go where the wind takes me, no plans, no responsibilities, nobody holding me back.

Just wanted to give up your entire life you've built or rather settled for and explore the world and do whatever you want without regard to job security, money, social norms, etc?

Say screw the what ifs, screw the danger...

Does this sound appealing to anyone?

I think about it all the time....
No, I don't think I would ever do that. I'm way too practical, thinking about the consequences all the time. I'm also a realist, as although I like fantasy I often don't live in it, and don't want too. Besides, I've seen the world and I'm not that impressed. I tend to like where I live, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
You know, it’s funny that you mention that! Because it’s been quite a long time since I’ve had a good list of things I need to do, but have just been too frightened to (which is not to say, they are not out there... somewhere!)! Ha! ;) I used to always want to go play and sing at open mics with my guitar. However, not knowing how (or lacking the experience of), to sing into a make gave me some pause, as it would be “learning on the fly,” so-to-speak!! I know some people use their home setups (and not necessarily PA’s), for “practice,” but I don’t have that kind of equipment... best advice I could give on stepping out on stage in front of people (or strangers), would be to just prepare your best, and then just go do it, and be happy with, or live with the results—whatever they may be! :D And having read a ton of first hand accounts and examples on various guitar forums of people’s first time experiences with “open mics,” everything ranging from seasoned pros, who are used to performing in bands, or those who just picked up their first acoustic guitar last month... is that nearly every last one of them was terrible from the start. And that, like with a lot of things I suppose), there is kind of a “learning curve!” Involved—& in your situation, if it is just about getting over that hump, or hurdle - the road block, so to speak: then it may be best just to do it for the sake of being able to say you’ve done ✅ so! ;) you know, I used to always hate the sound of my own voice growing up when hearing it on answering machines. It sounded so differently from the one I was hearing when I spoke in my head. And I’m wondering if it isn’t quite possible that that would’ve be the same, or similar experience here. . . I will say that with modern day technology, this does not exist, in say posting videos on say YouTube or Instagram. They seem to sound just fine, and very similar to me playing live (or in my living room). Also, amongst performers who do this sort of a thing for a living—it is said that those, or they are two separate skills; performing on stage, and being good or proficient in the studio - as I’m sure you’d probably imagine!).
Lastly..;) you can bare with me - b/c I know you are not still reading—unless you’ve just said, “flip it!!’ & skipper to the end— ? ;) maybe I should erase that first and last page break?! :D i have ALWAYS wanted to learn how to more professionally record my self playing and singing my guitar 🎸 via the means available today with modern technology.
For instance, for the first time this past winter, I bought a used microphone. But since I didn’t have a fully functioning computer (spilled some nail polish remover which fried the keyboard, after trying to super glue my broken glasses back together; didn’t realize just how “fast-setting,” it was... & I don’t think I have to tell you how inexperienced i was with the nail polish remover - there is still a small white blotch, or stain, on my wooden dining room table!). This made it incredibly difficult to use software required, as well as the digital audio interface requiring to process such things or effects (or maybe I’ve stated that somewhat backwards, I don’t honestly even know as I didn’t get very far; tried to take a “short cut,” of sort investing in the relatively more inexpensive setup for an iPhone & that was to say the least, a disaster given my lack of technical savvy...;) unless I got a bum, ‘mic!’ Unless “very good,” condition dictated ... “comes with automatic incredibly loud click track that is ten times louder than normal on at all times: whether you want it to be - or not!). Ha! ;^)
Hold on. Was this whole paragraph meant to say that you record yourself playing guitar? And post videos on Youtube and Instagram? If so, that's pretty cool and really brave! (P.S. I still have nail polish mishaps and I've been using it for all my life).

Yes... I've taken a hand full of risks in my lifetime and most of them required 5 minutes of unadulterated bravery. No thinking. No second guessing. Just doing. And my god, the best ones paid off. But a couple did backfire and that still scares me I guess.

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
Man, I think about it all the time. I want an adventure, to travel the world to see and experience all that this planet has to offer.

I think about buying a motorhome or a yacht and just heading off into the sunset and go where the wind takes me, no plans, no responsibilities, nobody holding me back.
Tell you what.. if this ever happens for you, I'm in. That is if I wouldn't be one of the people holding you back.

Thanks for getting it..

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
No, I don't think I would ever do that. I'm way too practical, thinking about the consequences all the time. I'm also a realist, as although I like fantasy I often don't live in it, and don't want too. Besides, I've seen the world and I'm not that impressed. I tend to like where I live, it wouldn't be worth it to me.
Please don't take this the wrong way but if you have no interest in exploring the world, then how have you seen the world?

I tend to think a little fantasy is needed in this life and that it's not as impractical as people think to make it a reality. But I respect that this is not for you.

Nick the Fantastical Duck

☆☆Ducking Fantastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
So I'm for to much on the agoraphobia line there to be traveling the world. Airports, buses, trains, crowded public places, the grocery store. As you can see traveling the world is probably not on my list. That said I have picked up and moved my entire life 2600 miles and started over. It was entirely worth it. Weigh your pros and cons and if it's what is going to allow you to truly live, go for it.

HappyKitty

•✮• SF's pet kitty •✮•
yes, everyone here do. honestly, even if all things seem fine, I'm kinda used to it. Like I'm use to siting with negative and suicidal thoughts everyday. this is why I keep posting, "my hearts remained black." but by all means, I am happy it doesn't overwhelmed me. I'm training myself to fight it like if I keep doing happy things for myself that I realistically agreed on and i do it alot, it gradually shall pass.

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
So I'm for to much on the agoraphobia line there to be traveling the world. Airports, buses, trains, crowded public places, the grocery store. As you can see traveling the world is probably not on my list. That said I have picked up and moved my entire life 2600 miles and started over. It was entirely worth it. Weigh your pros and cons and if it's what is going to allow you to truly live, go for it.
Would you be willing to tell me where you moved and why? No worries if this is too personal.

the.end.ish

Misknown Member
yes, everyone here do. honestly, even if all things seem fine, I'm kinda used to it. Like I'm use to siting with negative and suicidal thoughts everyday. this is why I keep posting, "my hearts remained black." but by all means, I am happy it doesn't overwhelmed me. I'm training myself to fight it like if I keep doing happy things for myself that I realistically agreed on and i do it alot, it gradually shall pass.
I guess I'm used to it too... but I don't want to be. I like how you put that you're fighting it.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you have no interest in exploring the world, then how have you seen the world?

I tend to think a little fantasy is needed in this life and that it's not as impractical as people think to make it a reality. But I respect that this is not for you.
I like to pretend I'm an alien, surfing on a magic dolphin. Oh, and my spaceship time machine sits 2 and a half. Me, one alien, and a magic dolphin baby. Set sail on the Crab Nebula, yeah!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$600.00
Goal
$255.00