Has anyone had an IAPT phone assessment/

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by foolnomore, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foolnomore

foolnomore Well-Known Member

I am due to be assessed for therapy through IAPT ,they will be phoning me next week to assess me over the phone. Have any of you done this and what is the assessment like ? I am not very good in using phones (phobic) not worried about the assessment as such but would feel better if I knew whay it would be like.
    Thanks

2. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

Hi

I've not personally had an IAPT phone assessment but a friend of mine did.. she was very nervous about it being on the phone so actually emailed them beforehand to explain some of the main issues. I didn't ask the details of what they asked but I imagine they'll have some general questions such as what you're struggling with, what you're looking for, etc.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help but I hope it goes well for you

Jenny

3. foolnomore

Thank you for that Jenny. I am hoping it is going to be very straightforward ,with luck it will be a tick box questionairre at their end and all they want is my answers in my own words .

4. pbobble

pbobble Well-Known Member

Hi
    I have not had an IAPT phone assessment as they asked me to come and see someone in person for my assessment. So I'm not sure how the phone element changes it, but i'll let you know what happened at my assessment.

Basically I had a brief chat about my situation, a little bit of personal history. I was asked about some of my thinking and behaviours what made things better and worse. The lady explained the basics of cognitive therapy which i already understood. This took about half an hour. I was asked to return a week later at which point she gave me some basic cbt info tailored to my situation and put me on a waiting list to see someone.

Perhaps over the phone it may be different perhaps briefer or different. I hope it goes well for you and you find some good help.

5. foolnomore

Thanks pbobble. i have just recieved a letter confirming the appointment for the phone interview and explaining what will happen ,they also included a form which I am supposed to fill in when i am talking to them,it is basically the Burns depression test with a few extra questions about my daily life and how things impact on that.All seems quite straightforward so I think i will cope.

6. foolnomore

The IAPT interview went ok,seemed to be just the Burns depression test with a few added questions,they said they would get back to me with a decision and I heard within a week that i was on the waiting list for CBT,they also gave me a number to phone should I be in crisis at anytime and where to go if it was an emergency ,so that is all positive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.