Has anyone here tried ECT?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by silent_enigma, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how effective this may be. I don't have much luck with antidepressants and the occasional one that does work doesn't last long. So I've been relying on MJ to get me thru the days.

Might there be a legal treatment that actually works for my depression?

ECT is electro convulsive therapy, btw.
  2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I haven't had it but my Dad did about 25 years ago and it seemed to help him because he died 3 years ago at the age of 81.....he never talked about it though
  3. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I've had ECT, as a last resort I would have it again. Meds never worked for me pre ECT, now I'm no longer suicidal and relatively stable!
    The downside is that it has destroyed my short term memory.
  4. TrentGrad

TrentGrad Well-Known Member

When you say it destroyed your short term memory, do you mean it destroyed the memories around the time that you had it...or do you mean that you're no longer able to absorb recent things memories?

I'm pondering it myself...because I'm beginning to get desperate.
  5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have had four rounds and over forty treatments of ECT. Some of the earliest ECT treatments, decades ago were suspected to have created long term cognitive defects but it is my psychiatrist's opinion that ECT treatments today have no risk of long term problems to be concerned over.

The disease of clinical depression itself causes brain damage especially shrinking of the hippocampus which is responsible for processing memory. I don't believe I will go through ECT treatments again but for anyone in this day and age who has never tried it and is suffering the torturous pain of clinical depression I would hope you give it a chance.
  6. Gina

Gina Member

I know some people have really found it helpful, I didn't. My feeling about it includes that I don't think they know why it might work or exactly what it does to the brain, so that makes me quite uneasy. I did have significant memory loss of things from months before, during, and a few months after. It was kind of dumb problems, I would rent the same movie over and over thinking I hadn't rented it before. I haven't had memory problems beyond what I said, but memories of that time have not ever come.
    This maybe a little harsh, and I know it is just my opinion, but I find ECT to be barbaric. I believe the only value in it is that by taking away your current memory, you know longer know how bad your life is and that you want to end it. Or, I'm not really sure because of the memory loss that you just wind up completely emotionaless with no affect inside or out. I feel that if I my thinking wasn't off from being so depressed I would not have agreed to it. I kind of think there should be a advanced directive about it, so when you are not thinking right you are not forced to make a decision about it.
    I know my opinion is much different then some others, and I appreciate the opportunity to express it. I've never really had this opportunity before.
    I'd also like to say I don't think MJ is the way to go either.
  7. TrentGrad

TrentGrad Well-Known Member

I appreciate any and all opinions because ultimately, I'm beginning to feel beyond hope.

I was supposed to return to work today, but a combination of being unable to actually sleep last night and finding my insides churning to such a painful degree that I couldn't focus even after I'd risen have put that off for another day.

Anxiety tends to feed my depression...but they are both there in spades, and it seems like as soon as one lessens, the other grows enough to take it's place.

Throw in here an inner critic that has become personification of what I perceive everyone who has lost patience with me is thinking, and I truly believe I am in hell, with no escape plan or reprieve!

So if ECT could help silence some of this, perhaps it may be worth it. Or perhaps it is not!

In the meantime, the mixture of anger and disappointment is waiting for me...tomorrow it seems...and even if my boss and co-workers didn't feel it at all, I've made myself feel it indirectly all along!
  8. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I have very few memories of my 12 weeks in hospital during which I had twice weekly ECT.
    Now I find it very difficult to retain new information but this may not necessarily be due to the ECT, it may be old age (54) creeping up or maybe that I'm not using my brain to it's full capacity.

The memories that causes my PTSD and resultant depression can still be vividly recalled but they are not constantly with me, I feel I am in control of my life again.
  9. abcd

abcd Active Member

I am so torn on this issue too. I had it recommended to me again today. I know 2 counselors from the same practice that claim it works 99% of the time and the memory issues are only for a day or so....and then there are the horror stories on the internet. I don't know who/what to believe.
  10. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

The horror stories of the internet are largely BS. I had it and it worked very well for me, but the benefit quickly faded. Others have had a lot more beneficial effects, but even so I didn't have any real negative effects.
  11. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Good to know.
  12. loser

loser Well-Known Member

It was forcibly inflicted on me when I was 16 years old.
    Try something more positive
    Best way of coping with depression is supposed to be exercise.
    Worst.t way is to sit in front of television for hours.
    Keep moving.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.