Has anyone stopped wanting to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasv

I went on the pills last week and my depression has settled down drastically, but my appetite has also decreased drastically as well. Yesterday, I ate a banana in the morning and a half sandwich of tomato and cheese for lunch and nothing else. I tried to force myself to eat dinner, but it's like I'm literally disgusted of eating. For the past three days I consumed barely anything. I know it's bad, but I start to feel sick if I eat anything more. Has this happened to anyone else?

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Give it awhile ok meds take time to get use too. Yes sometimes appetite is affected at the beginning but then you will start eating normally again once side effects are over. Drink some ensure or meal replacement drinks so you get nutrition you need until your appetite comes back. Make sure you let the pdoc know what is happening maybe a med adjustment needs to be done

danni

Chat Buddy
when I was taking meds for certain thing I would just not feel hungry. And sometimes I would have to force myself to eat because I know that I'm hungry, but it feel like my stomach doesn't want to. Just let your doctor know about it.

Growing Pains

Could be the meds or depression. It can be a side effect of both. For me, it started out as a side effect of both. First, depression killed my appetite. Then, they put me on Lamictal, and I literally didn't want to eat at all. Food began to taste like nothing. This spiraled into an eating disorder for me, but that typically only happens if you're predisposed to eating disorders (as I am). I don't advice giving it time, though. Not a good thing to sit around and wait through, as nourishment is important for recovery. Talk to your doctor, they can figure out what's causing it.

Big M

One antidepressant made me not hungry once, but otherwise I usually lose appetite when I have depressive episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00