Has anyone threatened to commit suicide if you do?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Rag doll, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rag doll

Rag doll Member

So long story short, my mother knows I'm suicidal and that I cut myself. Doesn't matter how she found out (alongside my brother). And she wrote me a letter where she told me about her past, how she wasn't supposed to be born because her grandpa kicked her mother in the stomach while her mother was pregnant and other sad stuff.
    And in the letter she wrote that if I kill myself she's going to do the same straight away. I don't want her to commit suicide just because of me. Besides, who's going to take care of my cat. He's the most important being in my life.

So I'm just wondering have any of your relatives or friends threatened to commit suicide after you? And how did you deal with it? Did it change your desires?

2. katrina77

katrina77 Guest

Yes, a family member has told me that if I commit suicide, they will do the same. I feel the same way about them.

Together, we have made a pact to keep going. A promise we have made to each other.

Your mom must love you very much, and I think you love her very much as well. why not work together to do whatever it takes to start feeling better? Get therapy, change anything in your life that you can that might help, etc.

Life is worth living, especially when you have those who love you. Not to mention your kitty. Sometimes our four legged family members are the most dear to us.

Best of luck, hon. I pray you feel better soon.

3. Rag doll

Rag doll Member

Thanks for reply. Is your family member suicidal as well? Or they would do it only because you did?

But I don't love her, I don't love anyone. I don't even know what kind of feeling love is. The closest feelings to love I have is for my cat. I just don't want to be responsible for her death. Although, I doubt she would do it. I think it's more of a blackmail. She knows I'm suicidal and self-injuring, and doesn't do anything to help me. Not that I want her to. No one cares. Not even me.

4. lostsheep

lostsheep Member

It sounds like your mother care enough to bother writing you a letter and blackmailing you. This is one way of showing love I suppose. She might not mean it, but she cares enough to stop you. When I was going to do it, my husband said he knew I was up to no good but he didn't stop me. Now he said he is depressed and damaged because of what I had done.

5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My son died by suicide 2 years ago.

I did not and do not need to threaten to "commit" suicide (you commit a crime, my son did no crime but he did die by suicide). I did not need to threaten and don't need to do it because when I lost my son, it ripped out my heart and killed me and his mother and his brothers inside. It changed our entire lives, and surely not for the good. One person I know who also lost their child in this way compared he and I to being in a "life in prison sentence together with no possibility of parole." You cannot imagine, for a parent who cares about their child, what it is like to try to go on after this. You simply cannot imagine. It isn't necessary to threaten to do the same since going on without a child is a far worse fate than death.

That that I have said is not meant as a threat or a warning for others... it is just a simple fact. Only a parent who has lost a child by this can really understand what I am saying.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  6. Lifeisagift

Lifeisagift Well-Known Member

Maybe when your mum learned you were suicidal she didn't know how to handle this and kind of freaked out. By the letter she tried to explain to you that life is hard for everyone and that if you keep people close to you you can make it and go ahead. It's not about other people who threaten to kill themselves, but try to think about the fact that the person who gave you birth is ready to die if you kill yourself...

I ignore what you're going through for 5 years, but all i know is that there's a light in the end of the tunnel, and if you manage to trust some people who love you and care about you, you can make your life less painful. Maybe talking to your mum could be a good start, she could give you answers.

7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

No, because my family doesn't care if I die, in fact barely anyone does, so it wouldn't break their heart or anything if I did it. I think your mom does care a lot, maybe she handled it the wrong way by kind of blackmailing you. Try talking to her about all of this and how you feel and how she feels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.