Has anyone TOTALLY died inside & recovered?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by /dev/null, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. /dev/null

/dev/null Active Member

Has anyone here felt completely dead inside, and got better?
    By "dead inside" I mean, no hobbies, no interest, barely remembering what fun is, absolutely no sex drive, no enjoyment out of anything what so ever.
    That's how I feel & if I don't see a better alternative I'm going to hang myself very soon.
    I've tried meds & they don't work, so I guess I'm wondering if switching meds or something might "magically" cure me before I kill myself.
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I don't believe a person can ever 100% die inside. Because then you would be physically dead. If you have motivation to put food and water into your body to sustain yourself, then you are not 100% dead. I've been maybe 90%. And yes you can always come "alive" again. You can never loose yourself. You cannot get stuck there. It took a good therapist for me to realize how I might start coming alive again.
    Just remember that this isn't permanent, and this feeling cannot last forever.
  3. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

I have been that way since I was a teenager...I have tried every time to make something happen but it doesn't at 24 the 'good' times are suppose to be ending anyway..that's why I'm suicide. I have tried therapy /medication ect.

4. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

even though i've been this way, in and out for the last 10 years, it is not permanent even if it looks like it. i agree with fromthatshadow. if you still
    feed yourself, care to wash your body, any single movement you make for yourself, you are not completely dead. real dead inside people are zombies kept in mental institution as tghey do not respond to stimulus of any kind.

hope this will help you see the difference and seek ways to better yourself.

5. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

I'd also agree with fromthatshow here, I don't think you can truely die inside and recover cause if you were dead inside why would you still be alive on the outside...

However you can feel completely dead, and that's generally not a permanent thing. It can go away. But recover completely...I'm not sure cause I don't think I've gotten there yet, but I think it's possible :unsure:
  6. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I understand where you are coming from but fromthatshow made valid points too.

At one time in my life I had hobbies, friends, a sex life etc but slowly through the depression they all dwindled away to nothing. But at the same time I make a conscious effort to get up & go to work most days so I guess for as much as I feel dead, I'm not completely there.

Sadly there is no magic cure for how we feel, if there was then this site would not exist. With most treatments/medications it can be trial & error till you find one that works for you.

I have been on a few anti depressants & unfortunately none of them have been very beneficial, that is not to say that they won't work for you. How long have you been on your current medication? If you feel that your med is not working after 6 to 8 weeks then perhaps you should say to your doc about switching to another? There are also other treatments to consider e.g. therapy, cbt but this depends on the healthcare in your area.

I am asking that you re-consider hanging yourself though, give the meds a chance to work, whether it be your current one or a new one? We are all here for you too, if you wish to talk about why you are feeling like this.

Take care & stay safe, Claire xx
  7. tweety121

tweety121 New Member

been in same situation for 3 years now......nothing feels right.....nothing holds any charm...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.