has anyone tried DBT?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by elvinchild, Jul 7, 2009.

1. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I just started meeting with a new therapist, and she seems great. She's suggested Dialectic Behavioral Therapy (DBT) for me, which involves meeting twice a week, once in a group session and once privately, for the duration of 1 year.

That seems like a huge commitment to me! I have so much trouble committing to any sort of social activity longterm - I already transfered from one college and dropped out of the other, quit my first real job and am starting to struggle with my current one - because I have pretty extreme social anxiety, and I'm especially terrified of being in a group. When I'm forced to be there when I'm feeling anxious about it, I've been driven into a full panic attack, which is not only scary but embarrassing. I have a bit of an easier time in a one-on-one therapy situation, but I have a hard time staying focused on a conversation for an entire hour without getting panicked and unfocused, and its especially hard when I'm talking about personal things. BUT, I'm going to attempt it...

Please help me rest my worries! Has anybody tried DBT? What is it like? What are the group sessions like? Did you struggle with it? Was it helpful? Let me know anything you can, please! Thanks.

2. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

I have never tried DBT. (Or heard of it :lol:)
    It does seem like a huge commitment too.
    I hope you can stick with it and get better.
    I'm here for you. :arms:

3. GeekGurl

GeekGurl Well-Known Member

The group portion is just for learning and practicing new skills, there's a small section where you each discuss events from your past week and where you have successfully used skills or could possibly have used them to handle a situation better. but you don't have to discuss things in specifics if you don't want to.

And remember the group is made up of people like you, they probably all have social difficulties, you're not likely to be the new girl walking into an established clique.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I tried DBT and did not like it, but it has worked for a lot of people.

It felt to me like another religion, just like NA did. It seemed to me like they were forcing their beliefs on me when I didn't necessarily agree with everything that DBT teaches.

I think it works best for someone with a specific problem. For overcoming panic attacks, as you said, it would be good. For someone who cuts, it would be good, because it is about changing behaviour. But that's why I don't like it. I believe that I have to change my state of mind to change my behaviour, not the other way around. It seems that they attempt to change your behaviour first and foremost.
    I deal mostly with suicidal thoughts, so it wasn't for me. It wasn't something I felt it could help with. But I guess from my experience, if you have something specific, like social anxiety, it would probably be good for you to go there, be around people, and focus on that specific phobia.

Good luck :heart:

5. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I feel like I have to change my state of mind before my behavior too.

6. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

DBT is great i think. Since I started it (about a year ago) it has worked wonders for me. In the beginning I didnt like it much, but after doing it for a while I started to like it and feel better. I still do get the occasional crisis, but other then that I do feel very stable. Good luck and GO FOR IT
    :hug:

7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I will start with DBT this fall.