has depression affected you at school i anyway?

did your depression affect you at school or uni?

• yes

Votes: 80 95.2%
  • no

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • im not sure

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

justmeonlyme

Long Time SFer
Staff Alumni
has depression affected you at school in anyway?

so if you are or where depressed in school or uni how did this effect you? how did you cope with it?

im in high school and im struggling with depression and its got to a point where ive started to get behind in my classes i dont have the motivation to do any of it any more ive gone from top of the class to barely even passing... :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Domo

Re: has depression affected you at school in anyway?

Back when i was in school (finished a8 years ago now) i did struggle a lot. I basically just got through the bare minimum to pass. Chose the easier subjects.

It was all i could do. I had no ambitions to go to uni so just getting my high school certificate so i could get a decent job was enough.

yeah, but it's not my grades that are suffering. i got denied certain leadership positions due to my sanity or lack thereof... certain people thought it'd be a bad role model to students, kinda forgetting that i WAS a role model anyway. it was never stated but it was implied.

skyisburning

I'm in college right now, and I am suffering SO MUCH. I just finished my second year, and it seems like each semester gets progressively worse. I don't mean to sound conceited, but I've always had an aptitude for school, and my first semester of college I made all A's easily...but each semester after has been a struggle. Not because of the difficulty of the work, but because of my desire to do it.

I used to love art, painting and drawing, but I have very little desire to do it anymore, and because of that I have had to change my major to humanities (a broader spectrum). I am so scared to go back in the fall, because this past semester I came really close to killing myself.

I know what you're thinking..."Why don't you take a break?" I would LOVE that....but, I have a full-tuition scholarship, and I'd be stupid to give it up. So I'm just suffering for a few years, to get it over with. :depressed

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
Yes, in high school and at university. In high school I don't really remember coping much with it at all, since it was such a struggle and I had two attmpts in my junior year. I didn't even go to school 80 percent of the time; I finished assignments at home and mainly went in for exams and projects and magically passed. In university, I took leaves of absence, and just straight up failed many courses.

It was easier to cope with problems in college though, so I eventually just took the failed classes over again and passed. I got involved in some extracurricular activities, and involved in some relationships too, and obviously those didn't last, but those activities kept me occupied and it helped. That was years ago.

dnE ehT

Earleir this year I went from straight A's to failing because I just couldn't get myself to go back there. The stress and anxiety alone was enough to make me feel physically sick all day everyday. After I coudln't kill myself, my insomnia became much worse and I stayed at home for weeks.

I eventuall just began to take online courses at home because it fits my needs so much better.

Aftermath

so if you are or where depressed in school or uni how did this effect you? how did you cope with it?

im in high school and im struggling with depression and its got to a point where ive started to get behind in my classes i dont have the motivation to do any of it any more ive gone from top of the class to barely even passing... :(
I got into a fairly selective university then failed out a few years later. That was about 6 years ago. I've since been readmitted and have about a year left to finish my degree. It actually works as a good warning system for me now......like to see when a bout of depression is coming. Failing exams and missing classes is a quick wake up call that something is very wrong. So it helps me handle my depression in a sense.

:drunk:

nolonger

It's probly taking a massive crap on my grades. I honestly don't see the point in doing an awful lot at school. I don't really 'plan' on living more than a few years preceeding me graduating. At the moment I'm sitting on around C's maybe? Probly only just. Used to be an A kid, but couldn't give a fuck anymore :).

MadeOfGlass

It used to not affect me when it was in the beginning and I could cope with it fairly well. I used to be a straight-A student, now I can't get the energy to do my assigments or anything. I'm falling behind faster than I thought. At least it's the end of the year, so I don't have to deal with it for very much longer.

KittyGirl

My first major bout of depression came about in my first year of highschool.
I stopped going all together for 2 years-- lucky for me that my teachers liked me and delivered my homework/tests to my house. I was only able to live life from my bedroom and still graduate highschool at the time that I did because my marks were so high and the teachers didn't want to have to fail me.
If they didn't give a shit- I would've dropped out of highschool in grade 9.

I know that if I were in uni or college right now; I'd have dropped out months ago. Professors aren't required to give a shit about you-- just your tuition money... and there's no such thing as a refund once you've enrolled and started college.

houseofcards

Since I moved to a different state in 6th grade I started withdrawing from everybody and it's been almost impossible to make friends. My grades are all A's but I don't even know why - I've been absent from school for 48 days and almost dropped out 3 times just this year, have no motivation for homework, never do projects, etc. Kids here suck and mock me every day, and i'm pretty sure that if the majority of them didn't go to school with me, my depression would be much better. Hopefully when I go to college in 2011 things will be better:-o

Allie123

Yes! It most definitely affected me. But in different ways over the years. Alot of my depression is so entangled in my anxiety, its difficult to separate the two, so I apologize but there's going to be a lot of anxiety stuff too.

High school - I was absolutely terrified of other people and believed that I was socially unacceptable. In my eyes, the only thing I could ever possibly be good at was school, so I spent most of my energy on it. Especially math classes, where everything was clear and nothing subjective, it was so easy to get lost in and just study around the clock. So at least academically, I would say my depression/anxiety "helped" in high school. I graduated at the top of my class, got into all the schools I applied, won lots of academic awards... I was THAT kid, haha. Incredibly unhappy, but successful.

College - Went to a difficult college, and suddenly realized I was good at nothing. Still afraid of people, but also now afraid of professors and classes. Spent a lot of time hiding in my dorm room alone. Got caught up in a lot of bad behaviors (drugs/SI/eating stuff) I think mostly to distract myself from how much I hated myself. My grades varied wildly in college. Some semesters I rarely slept, and just did homework ALL the time. In those classes I did well. But other semesters, I was constantly drugging myself to sleep and did absolutely nothing, so I got bad grades.

Grad school - Similar to college, except the situation worsened. Was supposed to work in a lab and do a thesis, which gave me panic attacks. I was terrified of my advisor. Did well in classes, but every time I tried to go to lab I would wind up in the bathroom throwing up or passing out. Felt like a failure, and got deeper into bad behaviors. Constantly on drugs, and a few suicide attempts later, I was in a psych hospital. I got out, and am feeling better, but still haven't finished grad school.

I think its interesting - like honestly, if I wasn't depressed, extremely anxious, and having low self-esteem, I wouldn't have done nearly as well in high school as I did. But obviously it hurt me later in college and grad school. hmm..

This year has been the worst so far school wise. I almost dropped out a few times this year. I have been on the verge of failing all my classes for awhile. I'm still behind in many of my classes it tears me up knowing that i can barely get through high school; how will i ever get through university? I used to be fairly good at school. Got As and Bs and C+s and what not.... now... now i'm lucky if i'm even passing a course. It makes me feel like shit that everyone around me is going to university next year and i'm not. I know i couldn't emotionally take the stress and i desperately need the break from school, still though it kills me - it really does. I know i'm not stupid, i know i can mentally get through school and pass and i know i probably could have been some of those people who got entrance scholarships to universities had i even applied and if i was emotionally in a better state. .... One week left of classes then a two weeks of exams and i'm done with highschool... hopefully i wont have to make up any courses in the fall. If i do i'll just do it online but still it would suck.... I just want it to be fucking over.

Madam Mim

I'm at uni now, and my grades have been dropping since I started, possibly in direct correlation to how bad the depression has got. I didn't as well as expected at GCSE, which caused tons of problems, and resulted in terrible A-level results. After six years I decided to try uni. I started out so well, with lots of As, but it's not going so well now.

What I find most interesting in this thread is how many people were once A students, and technically therefore quite intelligent. I wonder how much of a link there is there.

Mim

Allie123

What I find most interesting in this thread is how many people were once A students, and technically therefore quite intelligent. I wonder how much of a link there is there.

Mim
I think there is a definitely correlation. Just personally, I never would have done so well in high school if I wasn't so anxious and obsessive. Perfectionism can really help academically. But I think it eventually wears you down, and you end up worse than where you started.

houseofcards

I think there is a definitely correlation. Just personally, I never would have done so well in high school if I wasn't so anxious and obsessive. Perfectionism can really help academically. But I think it eventually wears you down, and you end up worse than where you started.
I feel the same way about that. I get stressed out about school more often when I know something can kill my GPA so it makes me work on the things I know have to get done - and by work, I mean go all out and make sure I WILL get an A.

As for one of my friends, his intelligence is genius level. He got a 2390 on the SAT and had straight A's, but was so depressed that he dropped out of highschool this year. He just pretty much blew out halfway during the year and couldn't deal with schoolwork anymore. :(

serena

Depression has completely affected my schooling. Because of it i've transferred four times, repeated a year, and am now at a special ed school for people with anxiety and emotional disorders. I like my new schools but I wish it didn't take me so many transfers and so much trouble to get there. Not to mention I have had the most tardies and absences out of anyone I've ever met. Hopefully I'll be able to do okay and finally graduate high school next year. College scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00