Has marijuana had any overall POSITIVE effect on your life?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Maeetras, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maeetras

Maeetras Member

I've been on Paxil for over a month now, but I can't tell whether or not it's working, because I began smoking pot around the same time (and, I mean, I have been smoking a LOT of pot; whenever I try something new and interesting, I go on an initial binge/indulgence). My mood has just started to steadily rise in the last week, which is about the time the Paxil should have started kicking in. The thing is, I'm taking a 2 week break from marijuana to make sure I don't build up a tolerance to it. I've not done pot in 3 days, and I've noticed that my mood is slipping back into depression coinciding with my quitting pot. Now, I'm going to follow through with my 2 week hiatus, but if I keep getting depressed until I smoke again, I'm obviously going to consider which medication is doing me the most good.

I started wondering, though, are there any people here who successfully self-medicate on marijuana? By this, I mean that you use marijuana to help with depression/anxiety, but aren't suffering as a result of pot use (i.e. regularly shirking your responsibilities to work/school/family/friends). Like most people who use pot, I do get lazier than usual, but I can't tell if that laziness is more of a detriment than my depression or not. What about all of you?

2. LDA

LDA Well-Known Member

Oh definitely. I swear by the stuff. It changed my life for the better for most of the first part of 2009.

3. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

Couldnt your mood be affected by going off the smoke, like someone going off alcohol or someone on a diet? Like maybe its the best thing for you because you are addicted. Ok in my head this makes sense but i can put it into words- grrrr haha. Maybe your downer mood is temporary while you are going off pot rather than the pot being the thing that makes you happy, maybe when your body has recovered from the addiction, your mood will go up therefore determining that the pot was not treating your depression at all. Does this make sense to anyone else? I cant explain it haha.

I dont have an opinion of pot, i smoked it once and smoked too much with alcohol and ended up having a whitey and getting sick and then getting the munchies and eating enough for 8people in the one sit, thinking about it though it was very funny :tongue:

4. Treath

Treath New Member

Nope, marijuana makes me anxiety ridden. I used to smoke it/make edibles all the time 2 years ago and still have some from that time but never touched it since then.
    I had random panic attacks for a year even after I quit using it.
    I can't stand drugs that numb the body cuz it freaks me out, even the lidocaine that dentists use.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  5. john dough

john dough Member

I think that Marijuana IS a great way to self medicate and can help some people. Where i live it is legal for medicinal use. It effects each person differently. If you think it helps you, you should treat it as you would any other drug. use it, don't abuse it.

6. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I think the problem with marijuana is that, like other drugs, the problems you can get lie under the surface. I also used to get panic attacks and not realize why, and it's only in hindsight that I can pin it down to the pot. When smoking, I barely notice how dopey and disconnected it can make me, but also relaxed and happy. It works for self medicating, but generally not in a helpful way. With proper medication you don't feel the downer unless you stop taking it, in which case it can be heavy. But I guess that's the same for all drugs. For every high there is a low.

Just don't think that you can smoke pot to rid yourself of depression or any other problem in the same way you take an antidepressant or med. Marijuana isn't for fixing problems.

7. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I had a friend who was on anti-depressants/anxiety tabs and used to smoke a lot of marijuana also.

I remember one night when she didn't have any, she was on the phone to me in tears, literally fits of tears, I was worried she was going to do something to herself.

I mean, she was some what paranoid and rather lazy anyway, I always assumed that was the weed. I just can't help to think it brings more problems then we realise.

8. Ehizzy3

Ehizzy3 New Member

i find it a pretty good anti depressant

9. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

Id say it was a positive force for the most part in my life relaxed me a lot. Too expensive for me to do regularly and I haven't been with the pot-smoking crowd for a bit so I can't do it free.

10. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Most of the time it's a relief. It's very good for my body. Every now and then I get really sad and upset when I'm high...cuz my life is sad.

It keeps me from drinking more than I do, too.

11. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

Pot is used medicinally, but like any drug, has its down sides. Over time it "clogs" the neuro transmitters in the brain. But what do these "new" prescription drugs do after time?

12. Emptysoul

Emptysoul Well-Known Member

i smoke the odd one and it does me the world of good, but i dont smoke it when im depressed as it messes with my head

13. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I smoked but it only has positive effects on me. I'm buying an ounce this weekend and I'm so excited!!!

14. Emptysoul

Emptysoul Well-Known Member

i smoke some, its allways done good for me :) the only bad thing is getting the munchies lol

15. VonBlown

VonBlown Well-Known Member

I use to smoke a super strain of weed called Wonderbud. Created by William Wonder. Smoking everday eneded up giving me lung problems. I use to vaporize it in the end. As regular combustion was to much for my lungs. But even the vaporizing wasnt good enough.

I smoked it to help with my diarriah caused by crones disease.

I was kicked out of chat for mentioning marijuana. Now here I find a whole forum devoted to drugs, bizzare...

16. Nuri

Nuri Well-Known Member

Well this may come as a surprise to whoever remembers me.

I first started smoking it properly around June this year and it definitely helped my social life, as well as causing a raise in my mood however for me, I'd say that the only downside is that the quality of it is going to vary; depending on where you are or where you get it from, which can have a significant effect on how your body/mind reacts to it.

It does have it's traits of causing slight bouts of paranoia for me but I've always been able to identify them and then ignore them so that side of it never really caused me problems.

There is the well reported munchies but they can be dealt with swiftly, just be sure to not over indulge in food whilst you're as high as a kite because all that extra weight that you're taking on will weigh you down.

Most importantly, it's paramount that you don't let yourself get hooked, while marijuana isn't a physically addictive drug, it can be mentally addictive as you may begin to miss that altered state of mind where everything seems alot clearer (especially the meaning of life) but of course, even after all of this research from me... it still comes down to the individual.

I haven't had a good blaze up for about a month or so now, which I think is a good thing.

By the way, if I were you, I would never take marijuana and perscription anti-depressants (etc...) at the same time because you really only need one or the other, from my experience.

... Oh and I think this quote from the Simpsons is classic.... "Toke as needed. Caution: objects may appear more edible than they actually are."

Also, as lazyness was brought up, yes, it does make you more lazy and more inclined to lose motivation for most things because as you're sitting there, slowly painting your brain green, you're in a sort of meditative state so you're less bothered about your rituals, sorroundings etc... but I find the best way of combating that is having a day of clarity after every session.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  17. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

I don't think marijuana makes you any more lazy. It just makes you not want to do things that you hate doing. It takes away your motivation to do things that suck, which... I guess is still a problem.
    Then again, it can also make doing those things more bearable

18. iWantDeath

iWantDeath Member

in some states (specifically one) its legal (rephrase: legal city wise, legal state wise, not legal mnation wise wise);

Anyways; if u dont have 2 worry about where to get it (where im at its like amsterdam but im in america) and no worry about quality (THE BEST) than it CAN help

But like any doctor recommended medicine, it has its down sides and up sides

19. SecretsofWar

SecretsofWar New Member

Marijuana was always a very negative thing when I was growing up, because my father was always smoking instead of being my dad. I grew up not really having a dad, he was always getting married or divorced in some other state, and not acknowledging my existence. So, I always looked at it as a terrible thing.
    But of course, I have friends that have smoked pot for years, and I remember waking up one day, and having the worst day. So I just tried it, and I don't smoke pot super frequently, and I've never bought it, but sometimes when I'm way down, smoking pot is nice because I just put all of my depression shit aside, and don't feel horrible.. Given, I don't feel much but tired, hungry, or amused then, but I don't feel depressed. And so sometimes, I use Marijuana as an escape, if it's available.

20. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Not a positive but good effect. Never seen the harm in it. :eek:hmy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.