Has SF helped to curb your suicidal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by mortdesinos, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

Is this site helpful, does it have its perks and disadvantages, or is it just a mindless addiction?
  2. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I cant say its helping, I cant say its not helping. Its a place to vent, nothing else. We can not search fo real help here. But also, sometimes there is no help at all. There si no solution.
  3. music

music Well-Known Member

so far, i'm thinking i need to leave. within the few posts i've made, multiple people have basically told me to go through with my thoughts....and i can't handle that, because well i'm very close atm.
  4. Canti

Canti Guest

Its actually made me think about suicide more and its fast becoming an addiction.
  5. touglytobeloved

yeah, I have become addict of SF, I spend a couple of hours a day reading posts, or writing something. And yeah, I think of suicide and also SF all the time. When I post something and I expect answer, I am just waiting for an answer and checking all the time on SF. But, I dont know why, people lately very rare reply to my posts or thread, I dont know why, probably because everything is said, and everyone knows that there is nothing to be said and be helpfull and make me feel better.
  6. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Active Member

well then don't listen and listen to me, if your thinking of suicide then no don't go through with your thoughts, whatever it is everything can be fixed if you put your mind to it, no matter how much of a hell it looks you can do it! i've got faith, if you need someone to talk to don't hesitate to send me a message!

goes for everyone btw
  7. pit

pit Well-Known Member

No. This is just a one-dimensional outlet with entries, replies, and feedback. I don't really know any of you. You can only really know a person by body language as well as live conversion. People suffer from the mentality that just because they chat with strangers on My Space and other boards, they think they're popular and loved. Their friends are a delusion.

Though the people on this board are supportive, are in pain and need help, I know that a few people make up stuff just to get a reaction. But that happens on every board. If this were an actual room where I could talk to people face to face, maybe things would be more effective. I don't buy into this new age technological crap of loving people through a computer.
  8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hey music, i remember answering your thread (about the promise - http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=45729) and as always, there's one jerk who says do it and you know what? this is his response to everyone, no matter the thread. sorry you had to read it, but once you are here a little while you will recognize the cast of characters. i post on here lots, so you'll soon recognize me, too... i'm the 42 year old Canadian-Brooklyn-Irish hippy.

as for the original question, this site has, without question, saved my life. it gives me so much more than i can ever manage to give back.

this site is not my only support, nor do i expect it to be. but when i need to speak honestly about my pain, about losing hope, and about feeling without worth i turn to this community. there will always be someone who understands me. since my attempt (dec 30th) i have been close to trying again, on several occassions. it was *your* love and support that saw me safely through.
  9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I came to this site not expecting to find support in living, but options of methods to end the hurting. End the pain. End my life. Here I am, 2 years later and very much alive. Did this site save my life? No, the site itself did not, but the people I met here most definitely did. Am I always happy about that? In all honesty, there are times I wish I had never found it because then I know it would have all been over. These times are when I am at my lowest. Then someone comes along and helps to pick me up and get me back on my feet. It is then I am most grateful. You see, when depression and suicidal thoughts are at their peak I want nothing more than death. But that is not the real me. The real me wants to live. To win this war, this struggle, this fight. To once and for all be the one in control. Not be the victim, but to be the victor. I know I cannot do this alone. I cannot be afraid to ask for help. It goes beyond this site, but here is where it starts. So has this site helped me? Yes, I can say with all certainty it has. Does it have it's disadvantages? Yes it does. Not all members are supportive. Not all get along. Not all understand. But to me, the good outweighs the bad.
  10. ConFUSION

ConFUSION New Member

I hope someone is here now to talk me thru this one coz I dont no how to snap out of how Im feeling tonight. Im feeling on self destruct. What do you guys do when the idea of dying is outweighing the idea of living. Im soooooooooo tired tonight and the drink is making it seem easier to contemplate.
  11. beauutyy

beauutyy Well-Known Member

i think so. i am now more helping people than thinking whether or not i should die.so it keeps me distracted very much so,but sometimes i get really sad cause its usually well..quite depressing.ha. but thats okay,there are alot of fun moments in the chat that are really wonderful.and i've met some wonderful people on this forum.<33
  12. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Active Member

13. LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler Well-Known Member

Eh, it's alright for the most part. I mean, it's a message board. You come here, read threads that interest you, maybe post your opinion, and then go somewhere else when you're done. What else is there? Could it actually help?? I really don't think so.

The intention is noble: prevent suicides. But there's so much more that needs to be done than what words on a screen can do. A person doesn't go from normal to suicidal in an instant. It takes time for that much water to build up against the dam. And the best that anyone on this site can ever hope to do for someone is to simply try to make the person's dam higher. The water doesn't stop. You can't let it out because no one wants to talk to a suicidal person. We're diseased. So it just builds up, keeps building. And eventually there's no more room to keep building the dam higher. Something has to break. You can't stop the inevitable. The question becomes "who can survive the flood?"

The solution is not here. The tragedy of a suicide began long before the suicide. It is not healed by preventing a person from speaking his or her mind. It is not healed by constricting the spirit. It is not healed by words on a screen that cannot possibly care.
  14. Xian

Xian Well-Known Member

i think if i was happier i wouldn't be able to come here, it's just too tragic and i'd probably feel it was pulling me down.
    but helping people is therapeutic, like i'll feel like dying and come here and find someone who feels the same way and try to help them and in that way it helps me too.
  15. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

If nothing else, its mildly comforting to hear from people who are going through the same thing.
    It also gives you an outlet to express feelings that you wouldn't reveal to anyone in real life, when you are in the mood. At least it feels safe and anonymous.
    Perhaps its not always a good thing, since you could, I guess, use it as a substitute for talking to someone in real life. Or maybe its a stepping stone towards doing just that.
  16. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

I've thought about suicide every day since it started.
    So idk.
    SF might've helped.... or not... I don't care.
  17. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

This site has actually made me think about it more and has given me a lot more ideas on how to do it, and what can happen with overdoses etc. Is becoming an addiction.
  18. touglytobeloved

I must agree with this. Its just a screen, its just words. I know whats the only thing that can really help me, and I cant get it through the monitor.
    And I like your welcome message, I have read it so many times, but I havent said anything about it.
    Welcome to SF. Sorry you're here.
    Yeah, Im sorry for all of you, but you are always welcomed here.
  19. touglytobeloved

We are all dying, but the difference between us if we will accept that or not. And its good to help. But we just think we are helping people. And its true, there are some who can really be helped. Sometimes problems are only in our mind, and we can see from other peoples opinions something that our mind was blocking all the time. But sometimes, the problem is bigger than we think, and bigger than others think, and words cant help, they just cant.
    Thats why I think that no matter what I will say to you, if you know that you cant be saved, you will GO anyway, but if you think you can be saved, you will try to find help.
    So, say to me what ever you want, and dont be afraid that you will hurt me or trigger me, of make me more suicidal. You dont have that power, it will always be my decision, and it wont be your fault no matter what you will say to me.
  20. touglytobeloved

Im dying anyway, noone can help me. I have accepted this, and everyone should accept me, the way I am. Thats what friends are for.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.