Has SF helped you regarding suicide?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Bambi, Feb 16, 2010.

?

Has SF helped you deal with your feelings of suicide?

1. Yes - By writing about my problems.

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. Yes - By reading about other peoples problems.

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Yes - Both of the above.

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Yes - Other reasons.

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  5. No - Not at all.

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Unsure / Too soon to tell

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Has SF helped you regarding you being suicidal?

Please feel to elaborate on your answers. I would really love to hear how I may help and do want to know how you all feel about SF.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I get to answer my own poll right?

I said Yes to both. I have been so comforted writing out how I feel as well as reading how others are going through something similar.

My suicide date is looming near and I truly think I may have trouble doing it because of the friends I have hear and how this place has shown me I can be strong in getting through things. I have been through so much in life I had not realized it till I started reaching out and then I saw "damn I have been through hell before I can do it again, I am strong"

Well I would love to hear how SF helps all of you and in your replies maybe see how I could help better in my reaching out effort cause I really do care.

Love Bambi

3. Shattered Soldier

Shattered Soldier Well-Known Member

Reading other people's problems has helped a lot so far. I have seen my own particular problems in so many other people's posts. I never thought that it would help at all knowing that I'm not alone, that a cynical person like me would just be able to shrug it off and say, "who gives a f*** if other people are suffering!" but I actually found the opposite to be true. It really helps that people are asking themselves every day the same unanswerable questions that I have been asking myself for so long. Its starting to give me a reason to wake up in the morning as well, just checking the posts, and finding in surprise that a few people replied actually to mine.

As for the writing, I feel that I've never done so much honest writing in my life about my current situation. I know from my experiences in psych wards, as a student nurse and as a patient, they were constantly encouraging patients to keep a journal of whatever is happening with them right now. I always understood the therapeutic value of it, but I saw no point in keeping a journal myself unless it was going to be read by at least one person besides myself. There seems to be some kind of magical link to subconscious in constantly writing about your situation. Ideas and insights begin to pop out that you never realized you had, and if you missed any there is usually a chance to read the insights of others as well. As an added plus, there are so many members here that you really don't have the opportunity of burning somebody out.

Mike

4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Yes, it's good to have a place to vent and meet people going through similar things.

5. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I voted for both. Sometimes I just read other posts whilst online, and that helps when I'm hurting.

6. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

i answered both, i read others posts and see its not jsut me that is hurting, i can also rant about my own problems and no i wont get judged here :hug: and of course there are the amazing people who give advice for example Bambi etc

7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

The top two have helped. Just being around other people who understand and making friendships here have helped immensely. I've been kind of away for a while or at least not here as much as I used to though, now I feel scared to get back into being apart of this place. I have a friend from here who felt the same after coming back. All new people, having to make new friends. Hopefully I can begin to help and be helped again because I am hurting a lot.

8. SelfMadePrison

SelfMadePrison Banned Member

It has helped me mainly through the use of the chat system and the members diary.

I find it hard at many moments to go through others posts as it can awaken in me desires or thoughts that I would rather not have.

The chat has helped for the moments that I just needed to talk and connect with others and not feel limited in expression.. certainly sometimes I have encountered the odd troll and been triggered but thankfully I can just block or leave.. met some really cool people that I will forever be grateful for having shared with.

The members diary helps me cause I just like being able to have a 'paper' trail of some of my thoughts and not be limited in what I talk about except what is obviously not allowed by site rules.

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It's provided -some- human contact, that's important when you have no friends whatsoever.

10. yorkie bar

yorkie bar Well-Known Member

I truly believe you won't do it. I can't imagine you doing it.You are strong. Try to concentrate more on solving your practical problems, and you will become less focused on your suicide date. Just live from from day to day, one small step at a time. What is it my kids are telling me now - everything happens for a reason. I've no idea what my future will be now, but maybe it will be something that makes me happy. You may lose everything in the material world, but you still have yourself, your skills, your vocation, others that care about you. You have to rebuild.You can do it. But you can only do it, when all the 'crap' is out of the way.

Has sf helped me. I guess so, because i'm still here, in a very meagre form. My boss asks, what has happened to the old you? I don't know. I don't know if the old me, was me. Who am i?

One person had a profound impact on my life, and i guess sf helps me to help myself. Only you can help yourself, but you have to get to that state of mind to be able do it. Its uphill all the way, but you'll get there, and so will i.

love and hugs yorkie xx

11. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

I have to be honest here and say I voted "no". There are a small number of helpful people, but I have found most people are not interested, especially on the Chat Forums where I am lucky if I am even attract a "hello". If I'm lucky, I may get a conversation lasting a few lines maybe once or twice a week. For some reason, I would conclude that I am a lot of Ignore lists.

My problems remain and are getting worse, but I don't see much in the way of support. That is the reason I don't come here or participate much these days. I have all but given up on chat for the reasons I have given.

Like everything else in life, I have to deal with these sorts of problems on my own, having no one else to turn to. Unfortunatly, I'm not very good at it.

12. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Didnt answer poll cuz not sure where this would fit. It has been a great help to post things here that I could never talk about in RL. But help... not really. It has kept me alive til now but it hasnt helped to stop the thoughts or urges. But 2 years has been long time, enough to know it's time to go. So can I pick uncertain ? lol

13. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I know how you feel. In the beginning I didn't know many people. Now I have integrated with everyone else. It takes time. Remember, everyone has their own way to deal with things.

My PM box is open, if you ever need to drop a line. I do listen.

Take care...

-J

14. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Yes. By reading other problems.

15. boo

boo Well-Known Member

yes, i still here :D

16. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

One guy made a long, detailed post a couple years ago about an issue he had and that was probably a major factor in my decision to stop thinking and actually start doing. Some kind people on here are pretty helpful too, as is reading their posts.

17. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I do think SF has helped me thats not to say I still won't do it but has helped postpone it. I found writing it all down in my private diary has helped but also to read what others are going through not because i'm ghoulish but because I know i'm not the only one going through it. And being able to understand how others have managed to cope with there thoughts and feelings.

18. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member

I think it's nice to find a place to vent without worrying about judgments.
    Knowing that I am not alone. Chat room is great too. I can just go there and talk or listen. I don't have to impress anyone. Just being me.

19. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

At times it is 'good' to know that you're not alone. That there are others out there going through(pretty much) what you're going through :). And at times it can be good just to write something down :tongue:.

20. MonikaM

MonikaM Member

I wouldn't take it as a rejection of you. Most chat rooms are like that, people that know each other chatting about stuff. You get to know them eventually. Though when you feel like utter shit it is hard to take it personally. :hugtackles:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.