Has therapy made anyone here worse?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ryanglander, Jul 2, 2010.

?

Has therapy made you feel worse?

1. Yes

46.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  3. Not sure

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

Please add the additional info:

1) How long were you treated?

2) What was the professional? (ie Counselor, or psychotherapist)

3) Rate on a scale of 1-10 of how strongly you felt therapy would work for you, prior to starting treatment. 10 being, feeling very strongly that therapy would work.

4) Explain why therapy worked or didn't work and to what extent.

2. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

1.) I was treated for bipolar, boarder line personality, and impulse disorder. I was treated for these things from 16-18.
    2) I saw a variety of professionals mostly shrinks.
    3.)1
    4.) Therapy did not work because they tried to make me believe that there was something wrong with me, like I was a broken human with no hope of ever getting better. All they ever did for me was give me a variety of drugs to be dependant on, to make my suffering tolerable. They NEVER fixed the problems they just made me emotionless, and meloncholy about everything. Talking to my shrink did nothing really in all honesty she seemed to flirt with me. I was told the lie that there is no cure for what I suffered from. I was told that I would have to live and die with this mental disorder forever. And for a long time I believed it.
    5.)What did work for me? Yahweh-no not religon. I did not go to a church and was made whole instantly. Yahweh reached out to me, I made a choice to end my life the right way, and he helped me through all of my issues either by removing them with prayer [faith in him through my prayer], or by helping me by giving me his understanding, wisdom, and truths [how to gain control of my life, thoughts, and body]. You do not have to believe me, but you cannot honestly say what I am claiming is false since you are not me. That is what worked for me, and I am happy to report life is GREAT!!
    Blessings..

3. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

My therapist... don't get me started...

I honestly thought it was going to help.

4. mrme

mrme New Member

Yes, therapy has done me harm. Not because of therapy itself per se, but rather the therapist was so crap, so judgmental, and so stupid.

5. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

I had a counceller once....probably the worst and most humiliating time of my life.

Never again.

6. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

I had a therapist that was also a minister and he changed my life. Healed me within a month in a profound way. I still have issues ,but it was never as bad again after that. I went to him for five years and he never charged a dime I have had some that didn't help as much. But going has always been worth it for me. I like a psychoanalytic approach as oppossed to behavioral.But they all have theri merits and i have tried almost all.

7. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

1) How long were you treated? 1 1/2 years over that time I've seen 5 different people

2) What was the professional? (ie Counsellor, or psychotherapist) 1 brief intervention Counsellor, 3 Counsellors, and 1 social worker/Counsellor

3) Rate on a scale of 1-10 of how strongly you felt therapy would work for you, prior to starting treatment. 10 being, feeling very strongly that therapy would work. 9 before seeing a counsellor for the 1st time i prity much thought it would fix everything

4) Explain why therapy worked or didn't work and to what extent.
    didnt work coz i couldnt/cant talk and instead of finding other ways to get me to open up i was pressured into talking which made me talk less!!

8. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

I had a psych who didn't believe in DID and so said I was being difficult on purpose. I didn't know about DID at the time, so was very confused. He fired me for being difficult. I went home and tried to OD. Husband caught me and stopped me.

I finally called a couples therapist we had used who had recognized signs of DID in me and recommended me to somebody she knew could handle it. He turned out to be my saving. It's been 9 years, and I stiill see him and still have stuff to work on, and am suicidal all the time, but I have more hope than before and I'm still here.

Bad therapists don't have to be the only ones.

But jerks sure don't help. I think it is the therapist that makes the bad experience, not the therapy itself. If they don't know what they are dealing with, or don't have training in how to handle it, they should get out of the way and send us to the right people.

9. cashing_out

cashing_out Well-Known Member

Have had four educated therapists try to help me. Going on 36 Months. I have been diagnosed with Severe Anxiety Disorder and PTSD. My first gal told me I was the most depressed person she has every met. WUT!!?? Was she sposed to say that to me? I dont think so. One said to "Buck Up" after a few choice words, I kicked him to the curb. Another was an.."Awwww, its ok, lets meditate" type. Are you kidding me? The gal I have now just listens to me vent and tells my doctor to keep me medicated so I dont erupt. So, he does. I take Pristiq once a day (the 4th medication I have tried for treating my depression) and a bar of xanex at night to slow my head down so I can sleep. I cant drink alcohol anymore because I get violent. When I get real bad, I smoke a little herb. That seems to help the most.

10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'll focus on my last therapist. This was 6 months.

)

Counsellor, when I just looked her up.

She couldn't understand what DID was, and I felt I couldn't cope and started drinking. When I told her this, she couldn't understand why I had been drinking- judged me harshly and did not listen that I'd been to A+E that day, but focused on the drinking as if I was an alcoholic (I am not), and the realities to do with agitation/flashbacks and the extent of mine. She could deal with CPTSD tho'. She wanted to talk to a strong "part" of me, but made me feel like shit when I showed her that was not all of me. She seemed really shocked to see me not being the usual girl coming to her every week when I started to tell her everything I thought about her. I think she actually wanted me to talk in the 1st person about myself at one point, which should have been a warning sign.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  11. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I've had one of those crazy Zen types. They don't help.

12. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

1) ive had a few different therapists, one for my selfharm, one for my eating disorder and one for social anxiety, also been to a group for eating disorder and another groep for social anxiety, in total 3-4 years

2) psychotherapist

3) 9

4) I think it worked really well for me, i dont drink anymore, I dont selfharm, well i dont drink every day anymore, i dont have boulimia, im going outside the house again, i havent tried any suicide attempt for 2,5-3 years now. Ofcourse I still tend to drink a lot some days and ofcourse i still sometimes want to harm myself, and I also still have problems with my eating habit, and i still hate to go in public, and atm im very depressed again and have suicidal thoughts.

I think most people have this miraculous thought that they feel better, relieved after one appointment. And that it can be dissapointing
    Or that they say the therapist cant understand them, like the post before me, they focus only on the drinking, because most of the time they try to fix problem for problem, just imagen how exausting it must be to fix your problems all together.
    I also think people forget what they've accomplished so far, I know I often do.
    And I also think that sometimes you long to your problems, because they were an easy way to cope with the real life, i often wish i could drink constantly again, or that i had boulimia again and not this fat body.
    And I often think people already start with believing that therapy cant help them, they are to focussed on their depression, on the easy solution: suicide and thinking they dont deserve help or they will never get better, etc.
    You need to work for it, you cant think, it will just get better by just going to therapy!

13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you were talking to me, but I always see myself as my own therapist and when I approach therapists they have to listen to what I'm saying, rather than what they want to hear- and they have to put some effort/work into dealing with difficult presentations like DID- drinking was a sign I was suicidal- I'm not a drinker but she saw me this way, which I couldn't get as I've never had an alcohol problem! I've come an amazing distance by myself, and the last one was actually taking credit for all my work, and when I was struggling- she reacted to me like I was her child who couldn't pull herself together. The point being- I felt like I had to "be strong" for her to get praise from her which is typical with DID clients who have young parts who are starved of love; there is NO point in therapy if you cannot trust a therapist when you're unwell. I hadn't come to her with ANY serious problems for 6 months until the end, and that's how she reacted.

There are things like transference which is really useful to know when you're working with a therapist. It's also a good idea to always talk about client-therapist relationship throughout any block of sessions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
  14. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

It's so important to find therapists/docs who know what type of situation they are dealing with.

DID and PTSD take a lot of attention from therapists and a whole lot of committment and they really have to know what they are working with. Mine doesn't take many at a time because we can wear him out easily. He knows his limitations. Plates, your last one obviously didn't know how to handle what she was dealing with properly. Or her limitations in dealing with it.

I think this is true of all disorders that we here struggle with. And it's so hard to find the right person.

I like my doc because he is honest and will tell me if he is having a hard time keeping up with me during a session, or if I ask questions that others may not want to answer.

I don't think I will go to another doc after this one. I can't trust like this again. It's taken too long and i've shared too much. I'm not going to get hurt again trying to find somebody else and then have to start all over again.

15. Surely Not

Surely Not Well-Known Member

I've had a few that I saw for nearly no length of time.

The one that I saw once told me that the meaning of life was snuggling up on the sofa with a warm blanket.

The next one was only helpful in that she helped me get whatever I wanted from my mother.
    She asked me questions and I answered them and she told me I was smart and mature, although she treated me as if I wasn't.
    At first I really thought therapy would help, but after I while, I realized that it wouldn't.
    I don't see how it could. I'm pretty self-aware already, I don't see how talking about shit would help me.

16. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

1) I was in therapy a bunch of times, I was seeing a therapist from April 2008- August 2008 when things started to get really bad

2) he was a student working on a degree

3) I thought it would "work" because I thought therapists were somewhat compassionate decent people who would listen

4) The guy was a clueless moron, granted he was a student, but someone like him had no business being a therapist, I am sure he became a therapist for the money or perhaps some some other reason I am not sure

17. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

1) I see a therapist
    2)I've been in therapy for five years
    3)It started out an 8 and has gradually decreased to a 2
    4)It has helped in some regards.. I am able to leave the house in the mornings before I think about it to long..It has helped with my SI..Now it seems like we both have run out of things to talk about so she keeps repeating herself..Then she sticks me with questions like do you remember we talked about this.. I have short term memory loss so I don't remeber shit..I have cut my visits down to once a month,..

18. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yes. There were serious transference things going on. To be honest, it's a very easy job to sit there and support someone taking care of herself and not presenting anything to do with DID but as she termed it 'acute PTSD'. She was an important support in containing a flashback/grounding me but didn't want to hear anything 'bout the spectrum of dissociation and couldn't understand it when I tried to explain it to her- and was really judgemental about my past and where I'd been in my life, and compared it to now and was "OOOh I'm so proud of you x100." I can say that to myself y'know? I think she could see I needed that validation and took advantage of that, and my isolation/vulnerability at the time. I've had it before.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
  19. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

hmmm, that therapist doesn't know what she's doing, pretty much all around. Mine gives me validation, but he is also honest. And, this is big, he seems to know that there are things I haven't found yet in my past and he knows if I'm ready or not to deal with them. He'll actually tell me that he thinks it's better to hold back, even if it makes his work harder. I don't have to help him do his job -- he helps me move forward, present and past. All therapists should be this way, not just those with DID/PTSD.

I had one for a short time that would have me wear a rubber band on my wrist and snap it every time I had a negative thought. That just led to self-harm. My doc was horrified when he found out and she got mad at me, saying that I shouldn't have told him! She knew she was in the wrong!

I had another who refused to work with my doc. She said she didn't like to be in competiton. WTF??? Since when is therapy competition??

20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I've had similar experiences. It's frightening when therapists want you to shut up about what's going on in isolation, and prefers to keep you isolated. There are so many therapists with such huge issues going on themselves practicing y'know? It's scary!

Your present therapist sounds wonderful for you though :smile: That honesty is what I value in a theraputic relationship too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.