Has this happened to anyone???

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by 1izombie, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I've been seeing this counselor for my many issues for about 3 or 4 months. I recently, to my surprise discovered I have feelings for him, like the best way to describe it is love. I think I'm falling in love with my counselor. Funny thing is he is not my type and I'm not even like sexually attracted to him. I'm so confused and think maybe cause of my lack of experience with relationships that I fall in love with the first person to pay attention to me and care about my well being. Anyways I really don't know what to do. Any advice??

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

This is actually quite a common occurance. Counselling stirs up a lot of different feelings, in many ways, and this is something that can affect many clients. A decent counsellor should be able to help you work through what you feel and support you as you deal with the feelings. I would recommend you approaching your counsellor and telling him, and explaining as much as you can.

I made a thread in this forum recently (although it is started by 'random random') and its probably on the page after this about similar issues.

I do really feel for you because it adds a different dimension to an already stressful situation, but I can completely assure you that its something that happens to many clients.

3. 1izombie

I guess I'll have to tell him....I'm just worried that if I tell him that he may suggest that I seek another counselor and I don't know if I could do that. He is probably the only reason why I haven't killed myself and I don't know what I would do if I didn't have him to talk to. I mean I told him shit that I've never told any other person and it took me a while to build this trust with him. It really fucks everything up when all I'm trying to do is get help and these feelings come in the way and confuse the fuck out of me. anyways I'll give it a try and tell him and hopefully everything works out.... I'll keep you posted

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

It is REALLY scary when you open up yourself like that. I told my therapist that I had a deep attachment to her, that I couldn't control, and that I craved physical contact from her. Not anythign sexual, but a hug, or something like that. It is scary, and horrid in the moment, but a decent therapist will have come across it before, not be phased, and know how to help you work through it. I hope that your therapist is good enough to be able to help you through this. I REALLY hope he is :)

5. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

....a good therapist will know how to handle this. it is very common. they are trained in this issue. . . follow your instincts on opening up re the feelings...but it may block the benefits from your counseling, to keep it bottled up inside.

let us know what happens hun
    xxxxxx

6. 1izombie

So just a little update. I had a session with my counselor today and I managed to tell him about my feelings even though I was scared shitless and well everything went really well.:biggrin: We talked about it for a while and he reassured me that my feeling are not abnormal and that he wasn't going to abandon me and that we would work this out. So all in all I'm very happy about how it went and I feel allot better about it. Thanks for all the support it made it easier to share my feelings with my counselor.:hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.