Has your depression caused your friends/family to become depressed?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by max0718, Mar 3, 2009.

Has your depression caused your friends/family to become depressed as well?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
  2. No

6 vote(s)
  3. I don't no, Maybe

9 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Mine has caused my parents to become very depressed, and now its very difficult as I now have to worry about 3 people. How you deal with that?
  2. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

No, but I hurt the people around me by dropping off the radar and leaving my phone.
  3. Asajj

Asajj Active Member

A friend of mind has dropped dangerously and my family are really struggling :(
  4. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

maybe, but I put on a cheery side so it dosn't show.
  5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

my patner seems very brought down by all of it. but he doesnt really talk to me about it, i think its just he expects to snap his fingers tell a joke and everything will be fine, denial i suppose.
  6. flowerpot

flowerpot Well-Known Member

I think it just runs in my family.. i eventually came to learn that we are all fucked up.. :sad:
  7. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

My Mom was depressed before me. I don't know if it has affected my kids or soon to be ex.
  8. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

my mom will prob die soon she now has no reason to live
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I think I have caused my mom to be a little depressed:sad:
  11. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

my family doesnt know and i told people who i thought were friends but they didnt care so now i keep it all to myself (aside from being on here of course).

im trying to make sure that one person i used to be close to doesnt talk to me anymore because i dont want to hurt him with whatever i do but he doesnt seem to understand.

i would hate to think i would be causing others to be depressed or whatever, that would seriously put me over the edge.
  12. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

No I dont think it has with my children. But one of my sons is showing signs of being bipolar and that breaks my heart knowing I'm responsible for that!!!!
  13. Mandy1

Mandy1 Antiquities Friend & Senior Member

No,my family got angry with me,and walked away,but im better off without them.
  14. Troubled2008

Troubled2008 Well-Known Member

Wow, I was really surprised to see this post because basically that's one of the main reasons I'm depressed at all. It's sort of a long and drawn out story, as is most of my life... but I can try to make it real short...

My family has always been sort of disfunctional, even extended family... But things were going very well around 2005-06. My parents seemed genuinely happy and.. Well... That's an accomplishment for sure. Throughout 2006, things were going fairly well. Then, I had a break between myself and a romantic mate. I started freaking out about it all the time to the point where I couldn't drive because I'd get dizzy and I started getting chest pains. Here comes a separate yet related issue and I know that someone will say it's the whole problem but it's really not: I have drank quite a bit for the last 5 years or so... It has been problematic sometimes and sometimes not. Of course, it doesn't help. But anyway, between being an insomniac, alcoholic, and having this problem with the mate, things really went downhill for me personally. Soon thereafter, my family began to really suffer. Everyone got sad, angry with each other, and one other family member then spontaneously also became an alcoholic. Everyday, I see this as my doing. My own suffering, although great, I can often deal with... But I feel horrible for letting my family down. Well, that was about a 3-4 year story condensed as much as I could. :mellow:
  15. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I feel. It feels like that everytime I feel I get a little better, I see my mother or father suffering, which makes me not ok again, which shows and which makes them suffer more. It's a whole vicious circle that I don't know if its possible to break... :dry:
  16. Troubled2008

Troubled2008 Well-Known Member

Well I have a way of thinking... where "only losers lose." And by that I mean.... I think a person can basically do anything if they're up to it and really believe that they can do it. It is harder to stop the feelings of guilt and regret than it is to lift a 1000 lb. weight. I don't think people realize that. It's a very hard thing to realize.

I think the real absolute barrier to getting over depression and problems is actually admitting that they happened and allowing them to be in the past. Regret and guilt are more addictive than any drug you can find. It is SUPER super hard to shake those feelings... but those are the feelings that cause the pain and depression to come back.

I think a person has to really be affirmative about starting a new life TODAY and letting the past be what it is meant to be... the past. I said somewhere on here that I lost my flux capaciter and Dolorean.... I can't go back in time. I really wish I could... We probably all do. But it's just a waste of time to think about the past when we could be doing something better today.

Sort of unrelated but maybe not:

I'm doing this whole "trying to change my karma" thing... It's like the whole "cure your bad energy by doing something good" deal... And if you or anyone else is interested, here is the thread:

17. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I voted no, but in reality, I feel that my depression has definitely negatively affected the lives of my family members. Though I wouldn't say it made them depressed. My depression makes it hard for me to give affection and support to other family members. In addition, whenever I fail to do something and need to borrow...let's say food or money from my family it puts the burden on them.

My family has such a long history of suicide and depression, I don't think it has much to do with me. Of course, whenever my parents learn of a suicide attempt they get really anxious - especially once I moved out of their part of the country.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.