Has your pet helped?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by daredhead, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daredhead

daredhead Well-Known Member

Has your pet(s) helped you avoid suicide, be it thoughts or the actual thing? I know my dog has several times. If your pet has helped, how?

2. mourningseraph

mourningseraph Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was very suicidal and my cat stayed right by me the ENTIRE day. She refused to leave my side. Everytime I would cry she would cuddle really close to me. She helped me hang on another day.

3. daredhead

Whenever I'm really down, my dog won't quit licking me. He can go on for hours. He also barks whenever I take a knife (even if it's for food) or get something from the medicine cabinet (even if it's just my vitamin). He takes good care of me.

4. mourningseraph

Awww what a sweet dog!! He really loves you. Maybe I should get a dog too. :smile:

5. attack_amazon

attack_amazon Well-Known Member

My kitty has been following me around the house the past few days since I started thinking about suicide again. It was really bad last night, and she came and curled up in my lap and started purring and wouldn't go away. Kitties should be standard issue for depressed people, I swear.

6. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

My ferrets are little clowns and their dancing never fails to make me smile. My dogs are always loving and my (now deseaced) white schnuzer was simply the best. We grew up together and he was with me through EVERYTHING really rough in my life (aside from cancer, he died several months earlier). He knew me like an old song and would protect me from anyone and anything (mums spanking included!) his unconditional love always comforted me, especially in the middle of the night, when I was in really low- lows.

The best escape for me when I'm suicidal, when its not the middle of the night, is a LONG walk with just the dogs and myself.

7. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

My kittens have. If i'm upset/suicidal/crying they'll come and curl up next to me in my room and purr and keep me company. And many a time it's made me feel comforted and better, like things can get better. So yea, they have in some respects. However, i think if i were rlly set on suicide no animal of mine could stop me.

8. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

a few years ago, when i od'ed, i saw a psychiatrist the next day and was kind of shocked that he suggested that i get a cat. we already had a cat but he meant a cat of my very own. and so i ended up getting cobweb who always seems to get in my way when im seriously down. its like he wants me to remember that its not just me looking after him but him looking after me as well

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

My puppy prevents me from feeling so lonely. :arms:

10. NPNS

NPNS Well-Known Member

I've got two snakes - make me laugh, but not very good at cuddling.

11. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

wish i had the chance to get a cat :(
    I used to have a BEUTIFUL cat! i loved him so much but he died :(
    I also had a dog that i loved VERY MUCH but he died too :(
    Then i had another dog but i was forced to leave it in the middle of the night
    infront of a vets house becouse i had to leave the country :(
    I feel so sorry about that, but i didnd had a choise and i hope this dog is
    in a better hands now :(

12. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I use my flatmate's cat for support. Plus I don't have to pay for him:)

I had several rats as kids. I love pet rats, you can take them everywhere, and they don't bite like mice.

13. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

I've got fish, but they never offer me and kind of comfort or emotional support. Never ask me if i'm okay or how my day was. All they do is eat, sleep and swim around in the damn tank all day long. Selfish bastards :mad:

14. daredhead

I hate my fish at times too, but even if I'm feeling really bad and don't want to get up, I still have to get out of my bed and feed them. So in a way, my fish help me a little.

15. mourningseraph

Yeah, fish can be like that sometimes. I mean at LEAST they could say "thank you" for taking the time to feed them... :fish:

16. falling_angel

falling_angel Active Member

I almost killed myself the other day, but I heard a meow, and it was a kitten. I found her, kept her, and named her Hope. She saved me. The really creapy thing is, the description on my profile. I had put "hope" as one of the only things I had, now it should be "Hope". Just realized that today. I'm not sure if I'm going to change it.

17. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Chino knew exactly when I needed to be with him and he would come and stand for an hour if it was necessary. I got him as an injured colt and we developed such a strong bond! He would follow me around the yard like a dog no lead needed. But he was taken away recently. He made a difference. I'm practically lost without him cuz he was the only one I had to turn to when the thoughts and urges got the better of me. Animals know us better than we do ourselves and everything they do is so unconditional especially their love and loyalty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.