Hate Celebrities

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by mooch74, Sep 13, 2012.

1. mooch74

mooch74 Well-Known Member

As all of you know, Tuesday was the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks that claimed the lives of nearly 3,000 heroic people. It was brought to my attention that a tv network (NBC I believe), pre-empted some of its 9/11 memorial coverage to air an interview with Kim Kardashian. This bit of news makes me sick physically and mentally. Society's obsession with useless, rich, spoiled celebs like the aforementioned is crazy. I'd like to see Ms. Kardashian or any damn celebrity display the bravery that the NYPD, NYFD and emergency services personnel displayed on that day. Those people went into burning buildings to try and save lives. Ms. Kardashian and most celebrities can't hack it if their darn mercedes don't start. I'm am so sick and tired of this. No wonder our world has so many problems. We are too enthralled with people who do nothing, mean nothing and contribute nothing. I only pray this nonsense changes and soon!!!

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I'm no "fan" of Kardasian either and think it's absolutely sad that she/they have gained such a following... but I don't think we can measure celebrities all by a few. There are many celebrities who do contribute a lot to society. Entertaining people is a function that holds some merit also. No, it is not heroic or brave to the degree of those who risk their lives in service of their country or in fire fighting, law enforcement, etc., but celebrities are not meant to be heroic in that manner any more than probably you or I. There are many quality celebrities who are excellent actors and who entertain us in movies, theatre, television, etc. In addition, there are celebrities who do things to help in charitable causes. We must not forget them. I bet that those serving our country in the military are simply thrilled when the USO comes to visit and entertain them - especially when deployed far away from home.

Acting as an industry and for a career is no different than any other job (except that it is a whole lot harder than many occupations) and it has it's place in society. Television networks are in business to make money, as that is why they are in business, and ratings are key to that. NBC (or whomever) must have felt that they'd gain higher ratings offering an alternative to what their fellow networks were probably airing. Kim Kardashian is probably a tough example since I have to agree with you (no talent), but apparently she provides entertainment to someone because someone is keeping her in the limelight - be it promoters or fans, who knows. I rather focus on those actors who do quality work and who also sometimes do their part to contribute beyond just their occupation by helping charitably. There were many stations on the TV that were not showing coverage of 9-11, actually.

3. mooch74

I couldn't disagree with your view more.

4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Okay, but personally I am glad that celebrities did not go into burning buildings to try to save lives. That is best left to those who are trained in proper emergency response. We as tax payers fund the training and support of police, fire, and rescue services and we all really do owe those folks a big hero's thanks for what they do sometimes every day. Since 9-11, there have been a number of celebrity supported fund raisers that have helped to bring in financial support for things such as clean up efforts, to help the families that lost loved ones, for counselling services, and many other things where money was/is very much needed. We should be thankful to anyone who contributes something, to the best of their abilities and using the skills that they're best suited for. There's a lot of hate in the world and that in itself is really not healthy.

5. mooch74

You are an apologist for celebrities. I am not thankful for people who live perfect lives, think they're better than everybody else and don't give a rat's ass about real people (the taxpayers, as I believe you refer to them). 99 percent of all celebs are selfish, evil people who don;t give a damn about anyone else but their mansions, money and movie premieres. They can go to hell!!!