have a few questions

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Takotsubo, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takotsubo

Takotsubo Well-Known Member

dont know if this is the right place to put my Q's but here is goes

1. if i go into the hospital and say im suicidal and that im thinking about killing myself , what will happen? has anyone done this? are they going to send me to an asylum ? will they contact my people even if u dont want them to?

2. who should i go see if i wanted medication about depression ? dont have insurance so do u think it'll be costly to see this person?

2. lostbutnotfound

lostbutnotfound Well-Known Member

Hi Takotsubo,

I'm not sure whereabouts you live, so my answer might not be too accurate for your circumstances.

I'm from the UK, and from my knowledge, if you go to the hospital and say you are suicidal, they will get the on duty psychiatrist to have a meeting with you to discuss this more. If they don't feel you are in immediate danger, they probably won't send you to a psychiatric hospital/ward, instead they might try and liaise with the local crisis team, who might give you home visits, or find other ways to support you. Even if you are transferred to a ward/hospital, there is an initial assessment period, so they can gauge if you will benefit from a short stay there. They will listen to your wishes as much as possible while still trying to maintain your safety. As for contacting your people (I'm assuming you mean family members?), if you are over 18, you are an adult and from what I know, if you specifically ask them not to contact them, they won't.

If you want to discuss with a medical professional to go on some medication, which may be beneficial for you as you are having suicidal thoughts, you should make an appointment with your doctor. Unfortunately I don't know anything about insurance etc, but hopefully someone who has more knowledge about it can help you with this question.

Take care,
    Lost

3. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

I had to call 911 after having a panic attack and becoming suicidal.

They took me to the ER, took urine for drug and preg tests, and after many hours, had a shrink talk to me. If he had thought I was still in crisis, they would have checked me in, but by then I had calmed down and was half asleep so they sent me home with referrals for therapists.

I'm in the US by the way, and if you feel like you are going to do something, call. Money shouldn't be an issue, there is w always charity care. They will keep you safe and refer you to additional help.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Also, if you test positive for drugs, they don't call the cops on you. I was pos for pot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.